Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange 5.5, SMTP & DSL

Options
  • 21-01-2004 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭

I've been lumbered with changing our internet/e-mail from dial-up to dsl. I've got the broadband running ok on our small business server, proxy server and all workstations can use it no problem. I signed up with Netsource who gave us a fixed IP address.

Exchange is another thing. Our SMTP mail (@company.ie) is queued by relay.iol.ie, exchange then sends a FINGER command to retrieve the mail on dial-up. I want our e-mail to be sent directly to our exchange server without being queued at relay.iol.ie.

Questions
    Do I ask IOL or Netsource to make the necessary changes?
    Does it matter that the IP address supplied by Netsource is different to our other IP address (which we use for e-mail)?
    Or am I going along the wrong route?

We don't have a proper IT person here to look after this so I'm expected to know all this, along with doing my own job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by DarrenG
    I've been lumbered with changing our internet/e-mail from dial-up to dsl. I've got the broadband running ok on our small business server, proxy server and all workstations can use it no problem. I signed up with Netsource who gave us a fixed IP address.

Exchange is another thing. Our SMTP mail (@company.ie) is queued by relay.iol.ie, exchange then sends a FINGER command to retrieve the mail on dial-up. I want our e-mail to be sent directly to our exchange server without being queued at relay.iol.ie.

Questions
    Do I ask IOL or Netsource to make the necessary changes?
    Does it matter that the IP address supplied by Netsource is different to our other IP address (which we use for e-mail)?
    Or am I going along the wrong route?

We don't have a proper IT person here to look after this so I'm expected to know all this, along with doing my own job.

Make the fixed IP your primary MX
    Make relay.iol.ie the secondary MX

Alternatively make the Netsource mail relay the secondary it should not need a finger command to relay the mail thats an old dialup thing . The secondary is there in case your server / line is down a while. The mail can back up there till the problem is fixed.

So all your probs are in the MX record portion of the DNS whoever hosts your domain will deal with it. Your other IP address is relay.iol.ie I assume.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Thanks for the reply. Please see the attached jpeg. I've done an NSLOOKUP for our MX records. It shows the current IP settings we have before the new one Netsource gave us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Think you may have a fixed ip from IOL which is mail.baf-freight.ie pref 5

That should be changed to a Netsource address. Prefs 10 and 20 should still work but I would ideally make pref 10 a Netsource relay .....around the same time.

You now need an open port 25 on your Netsource fixed ip (on the router) and a NAT to an inside ip , its 192.168.1.1 on the inside of the public IP NAT and your server is somthing like 192.168.1.5 or whatever so the port 25 will have a special inbound rule to make IT act as a relay and send the mail from 1.1 to 1.5 .

Your domain is hosted by ESAT , they must be told what the changes to DNS are.

Read your router manual before you do anything.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Thanks again Muck. Replies are much appreciated.

This is starting to go way over my head :D so I will speak to Netsource & IOL about this tomorrow.

Advertisement