Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Tiling quote €613 for 18 sq yds?

Options
  • 21-01-2004 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Got tiler up this evening to give a quote for kitchen (6 X 6ft) and hallway (18 X 4ft including under stairs room)

Came up with this quote

Kitchen = €120
    Hall floor = €300
    Adhesive and Grout €120

Add vat of 13.5 on top this you come up with €613....

Am i being done???

Seems crazy for roughly 18 sq Yds...

Feedback??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Generally tiles are going to cost about 10-15 euro a sq yard so splitin the difference means about 225 euro for tiles
    Plus the 120 for other materials gives you about 350 so he is leaving about 200 for himself for a bit more than half a days work, which sounds about right.

This depends on the type of tile you are using of course,
    do you know the price of them?

But try and get another quote and see if its comparable

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

This does not include tiles....i bought them already??

Now does it seem crazy??

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

any advice sought...need to book tiler soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Most tilers will charge about €30 per sq. yard. 18 x 30 = €540. That would usually include adhesive + grout.

Try and get another quote.

viking

Ps. Or you could do it yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I had to get the Bathroom tiled about a year ago and I got charged what I thought was a fortune...

Tiling does seem to be expensive....get another quote....but for heavens sake don't be tempted to do it yourself - you'll make a hash of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

For a skilled tiler, it's probably a day and a half to two days work. Leaving out the grot and adhesive charge (which is a little high) gives the tiler between €210 and €280 per day which undoubtably is high - but then again skilled tilers are hard to get and they can demand good rates.

You should of course get another quote, but practically speaking you unlikely to do much better unless you're lucky

As for doing it yourself, I've done it before and floor tiles are heavy and awkward and harder to cut and shape (esp around curves), so while the job is fine - next time I'd get a professional

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I paid 15 yo yos a sq yard for kitchen/ulility/bathroom, in 2001
    That was cash and did not include materials

At the end of the day a bad tiling job will be there in front of your eyes forever, nothing worse

I was lucky, good price and excellent job, you can run you hand up and down the tiles with no bumps whatsoever.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that in this case it could be worth spending that little bit extra and get a top class job, rather than save 100 yo yos and get a ****e job that will forever piss you off

I would not pay the VAT piece, cash is king

You MUST see tilers previous work

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why are you tiling the hall? Seems unusual.

What condition is the floor in? He may need to level it.
    Originally posted by dwayneburke
    Got tiler up this evening to give a quote for kitchen (6 X 6ft) and hallway (18 X 4ft including under stairs room)
    That's only 12 sq yards (10m2). Was he quoting for 12 sq yards or 18 sq yards? How much cutting is involved? (Unless your tiles fit exactly, you will need to cut on all sides).

€50/yd2 or €60/m2 seems to be too high, but is is only a small job. I would expect two thirds of that figure for laying only. Get 2 more quotes.

Never ever buy tiles yourself - you end up paying 21% VAT and you end up paying more than the tiler would for the tiles (the tiler will get a trade discount of at least 15%).

Are you tiling any walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

i recently got 60 sq yards of tiles fitted,kitchen spashback, kit/diningroom floor,ensuite floor,bathroom walls and floors and downstairs wc and it cost me 1600 including grout adhesive and trims.

For that price he also removed sinks rads and toliets so he could tile behind and under them and refitted them after as well.

It is some of the best work i have seen and i think the price was very good.
    The reason i chose him was that he had just finished work in a 4 star hotel down the road so knew he had to be good and i don't mind paying for a good job as it will last a life time and it was 3000 worth of tiles.

If you want his number pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

make sure you see work he has done.
    Lately i have seen some really bad jobs done by chancers.
    Of course you dont know hes a chancer til you have seen work he's done.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Cosworth
    i recently got 60 sq yards of tiles fitted,kitchen spashback, kit/diningroom floor,ensuite floor,bathroom walls and floors and downstairs wc and it cost me 1600 including grout adhesive and trims.

For that price he also removed sinks rads and toliets so he could tile behind and under them and refitted them after as well.

The reason i chose him was that he had just finished work in a 4 star hotel down the road so knew he had to be good and i don't mind paying for a good job as it will last a life time and it was 3000 worth of tiles.

In Dublin?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

We have 1 bathroom, roughly 3 Square metres, 1 en suit, roughly 1.5 Square metre and a dowstairs WC, roughly 1.5 Square Metres. In total 6 Square Metres. I was quoted €600 for the job. No tiles included only the grout and plywood for upstairs. Now that's what you call a ripoff. Needless to say I told him to get stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

For anyone in the Dublin area my mate tiles at very reasonable prices.
    And he is good; he's done a bathroom for me, our mutual mates apartment in Galway and is doing another friends bathroom soon (did his kitchen floor too)
    He works as a tiler full-time but can be available at weekends/evenings.

If you're looking for one pm me and I'll send you his number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mmcl

Cosworth wrote:

Hi,
    I know it has been almost two years since you posted the above, however would you still have contact details for the tiler mentioned? Also are you still in a position to happily to recommend him ?

MMcl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 philip1111

I had to get the Bathroom tiled about a year ago and I got charged what I thought was a fortune...

Tiling does seem to be expensive....get another quote....but for heavens sake don't be tempted to do it yourself - you'll make a hash of it!

I am a professional tiler, I get my work mostly through referrel which is the best recommendation one can get.
    If anyone wants a quote please contact me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alvin gibney

Victor wrote: »

That's only 12 sq yards (10m2). Was he quoting for 12 sq yards or 18 sq yards? How much cutting is involved? (Unless your tiles fit exactly, you will need to cut on all sides).

€50/yd2 or €60/m2 seems to be too high, but is is only a small job. I would expect two thirds of that figure for laying only. Get 2 more quotes.

Never ever buy tiles yourself - you end up paying 21% VAT and you end up paying more than the tiler would for the tiles (the tiler will get a trade discount of at least 15%).

supply and fit 21% sounds good price to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alvin gibney

zx
    Victor wrote: »

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Why are u bringing up and commenting on threads 2 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

He probably came across this by way of a google search. If you google "crazy tiling" it brings up this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eurke

Came up with this quote

Kitchen = €120
    Hall floor = €300
    Adhesive and Grout €120

Add vat of 13.5 on top this you come up with €613....

Am i being done???

Feedback??
    hi
    crazy quote
    6~6 = 4sq
    18~4 = 8sq Total of 12sq & 2sq for wasted if same tile in hall & kicthen €360 to €400 +13.5 total €408 to €454 tops Adhesive and Grout in quote from a tiler in co. galway 087 1364481 your being done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 scooby the dog

just got quote an hour ago for tiling 157 sq yards new house

13.00 euro per sq yard inc.. vat and he,s a good tiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eurke

eurke wrote: »
    hi this is a crazy quote
    6~6 = 4sq
    18~4 = 8sq Total of 12sq & 2sq for wasted if same tile in hall & kicthen.
    [EMAIL="12sq@€25"]12sq @€;25[/EMAIL] =€300 Adhesive and Grout all in.
    [EMAIL="18sq@€25"]18sq @€;25[/EMAIL]= €450Adhesive and Groutal in .
    from a tiler in co. galway . your being done
    I like to see the kicthen and hall floor .And dont do it your self .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Folks have you looked at how old this thread is. I reckon the floor is being replaced again at this stage.

Advertisement