Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC: Boards Beer Cork

Options
  • 22-01-2004 12:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Since we have a few unscrupulous people dropping by cos of That Photo Thread, might as well try and organise a Cork Beers again. The Dubs are showing us up good-oh. Dates and venues please, dates and venues.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I'd have to say the Franciscan Well... I've gotten rather addicted to rebel red. Finally a Cork beer... never thought it would (might) happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The odd thing is I've been to 4-5 Dublin boards beers and maybe 1 in Cork. Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

why not have it somewhere nice, like the Gateway?
    I've also met way more boards people in Dublin.

Brian (not a fan of the well)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If it's this weekend or the weekend after I'll come along.

Apologies to yellum by the way for replying to a thread where there's a post from him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I like the beer garden in the Well but not the bar. The Gateway isn't bad, but it'll be jointed at the weekend. Everywhere will be.

adam

The Well would get my vote.

I guess I don't get a vote cos I'm a mod, so that's 2-1 to the Well so far. I like Monday's cos there's usually a cool trad group in the corner, but I suppose you're all young people that like Fridays and Saturdays? :)

adam

I don't like trad, ok? They have a guy with a trumpet, which makes it untrad-like.

You don't get a vote? Ahh c'mon now.. you have to give a vote. Being a young person I'd have to say Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays would be good for me. In fact I'd prefer a day other than Friday or Saturday 'cos one of my pet hates is wading through crowds just to have a few pints.

I only threw the well in there first because I haven't been there for a bloody long time (since the Octoberfest in fact) but I wouldn't turn down a pint anywhere... except maybe that dodgy underground place at the end of Shandon St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Well if you want people to come from outside Cork for it, you'd have to make it Friday or Saturday.

True, but I don't see a whole lot of people from outside of Cork posting here. If they are, they should post now and let us know.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If it's on a weekend I might drop by... course I'm 18 and might be intimidated by u scary old fogies... unless ye bring ye're sexy daughters... Howbout an brog?

Originally posted by Kold
    Howbout an brog?
    <adam stifles a scream>

:)

Originally posted by daveirl
    Tell me more, I'm deeply intrigued!

At the taxi office on the end of shandon st (adjacent to the fountain, stone circle thing on the footpath) theres a door just around the corner as youre heading down the quay towards St. Mary's church. At least I think that's st. Mary's. It's a fairly inconspicious looking door and theres a set of stairs going down into the bar. It's a really small place and when myself and my friend went in there the whole place turned and looked at us. All 7 or 8 of them. Highly intimidating stuff. About 10 mins later an old dodgy looking man came over to us and informed us that it was a 'members only' bar and it would cost us €20 each to drink there. Needless to say, no money changed hands. Although we did only have one pint there before moving somewhere safer...

Great experience though!

I went in there one night and got the same needle-scratching-across-the-record reaction. I wasn't ask for €20 but we only stayed for one pint and the lad I was with is rather large. I thought it was more funny than intimidating. All we were short was a couple lads in the corner duelling with banjos.

adam

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Never been there but did go to the taxi office there a few times .. wiating outside.. drunk shouting abuse.. feeling vaguely worried (what with the North channel being so close).. Guards arrived.. more abuse.. haul yer man into van.. sound of a few whacks.. off they go.. everything back to usual end-of-Shandon_St quietness... that's the downside of the Well (that and the foreign students who insist on smoking 14 fags at a time in the bar and get odd when you open the door for a bit of air)

Kinda intimidated, would ANYone be NEAR my age?

i dunno if it makes me an old git or not... but I'm 23

I like looking at 18yo girls Kold, if that's any help.

Anyway, I'm in Dooblin this weekend, and someone's trying to organise linuxy pints for Thursday, and Fridays are /always/ awkward for me, but apart from that I'm available for everyone's pleasure, taunting and general wickedness. If we could organise ONE night out, we could make it reg'lar after that like. So basics first: weekdays or weekends, counting from this post. Majority rules.

I vote weekdays.

adam

• Advertisement

I second the weekday vote

weekday. Never here on weekends.

weekend, school on weekdays

Originally posted by Kold
    weekend, school on weekdays

we'll write you a sick note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Only just found this, weekday would be better and am just slightly older then kold.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Don't do it Molly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

a boards beer!!..always said i would go to one of them..
    i vote weekday except mon/wed...rugby training,sure i could go after rugby training, so i vote weekday.

is it on in the well yeah? nice beer & nice place as well!
    Count me in! im 20 by the way so you wont be alone Kold :cool: ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I'm tempted but would there be any other females there??

A.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

What be those :ninja:

• Advertisement

Bring some.

I'm busy this week, so we'll organise it for next week. Or feel free to organise it amongst yourselves, I'm not the boss of you.

adam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement