Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IQ3CL Returns.

Options
  • 26-04-2000 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Well since I hear that a few people are talking of another IQ3CL. I was wondering what people thought. Which way should it be run this time.

1)
    2 Divisions. (1 HPB div and 1 LPB div) or is there enough teams for this.
    2)
    1 division with LPB restrictions dropped totally.
    3)
    1 division Max of 3 lpbs.

What ya think. I wont be running it but will help the person who decides if needed.

Suggested starting time for next league.
    1st of June.

Jedi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

i dont think their'd be enough teams 4 2 leagues..
    personally i dont think their should b lpb restrictions either..
    just 1 big league no restrictions on teams..
    also maybe whom ever is organising it should not compete in this league so their will be no arguments. Rules are regards lpb's, playing of final on lan etc.. should be set out b 4 the league and stuck to..
    I'm not critising you on the last league tom
    i just arrived on the irish scene as it was finishing up...
    but i think the above would be best all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

One Division, with no LPB restrictions. It's time to stop handicapping teams with half decent connects.

TAKE IT MODEMERS!!!!!

Besides, rather be wopped by LPBs than HPBs, it's less shameful. smile.gif

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

No connection restrictions.
    Use the levels played in competitions and abroad (most important).
    Keep coverage and website tight and up to date.
    Actually make it a league this time?
    Have an IQ3Cup aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Use the pro mod ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

pro mod, will it ever get used at any proper event?
    I doubt it

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

they said the same about QW.

Promode rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I think we shouldn't use the promod. at the moment it is cack, and unless it gets more widespread acceptance it will never be used for any official competitions. As for league structure ... I would prefer it to be just one big group. I will make the league longer, but at least every team will be able to play against each other, and we can get a decent view of how the teams compare against each other. Where LPB restrictions are concerned, perhaps make a requirement of at least one HPB, I don't think It is entirely necessary to have full lpb teams in the league

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Umm... I dont think we have enough teams for 2 divisions.

The question of lpbs is a tricky one as there are teams out there with no lpbs.

Maybe 3lpbs and one hpb per team would be a bit fairer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

I hate to say it but i think the LPB rule should be droped me being a modemer and all because this will get more players to get off there asses and get that ISDN in.

Which would improve both the quality of the league and standards in ireland some people dont get ISDN to keep more hpb on there team without the rule the whole of the quaking community within Ireland would improve.

Somebody agree with me please!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

ummm what would be the point of a team of mostly hpb'ers even turning up to play mostly lpb'ers??? Where's the fun in getting constantly r@ped by a railgun held by a giggling lpb?

Yeah, yeah, some hpb's have |33t skilz and can oWn some lpb's, but lets face it, most of the time that's not the case.

Is it a coincidence that most of the people whinging about the handicap are ISDN owners? Fair enough lads, you pay a lot for your connection, but seeing as there's no flat rate ISP providing ISDN connections at the mo, I for one, won't be re-joining the £150+ a month phone bill club. Sure ISDN has got cheaper, but it's still a lot more expensive than the £20 I give Esat every month and the tiny eircom bill I pay when I use a better connection like buyandsell or indigo for a match or something.

Besides, I'm waiting for cable wink.gif

The question is, what's the ratio between lpbs and hpbs? Is it 50/50? If so create two leagues.

Max 3 lpbs? There doesn't seem to be enough going around for three each. So if a clan did bag 3 lpbs, they'd run away with the league.

Oh and as for a suggestions for the new league, howabout getting clans to sign in blood that they will agree with the decision of where the final is played, before the league starts wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 26-04-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

The 2lpb/2hpb rule should be kept. So players can be picked for how good they are rather then how fast their connection is.

narf
    clanludo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I agree Take-It g'man.

But Ireland is being left behind here I think. Theirs no LPB rule in England (I think) and surly that’s the way forward I know for one that DzR WONT be able to field 2 HPB cause they simply don’t have them I am the only HPB. To compete in the UK you need as many LPB as you can get and getting a HPB is a waste of time unless it’s to play Quake3 only in the Irish league.

Irish clans need to compete in the English leagues to show how good they really are its no good just playing Irish clans!
    As i think Shinji said before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

pick decent maps, none of that bfg camping crap "you are on the phobos base so you must go everywhere by jumppads" maps, and not that map which has the single underwater entrance to the bfg either,
    and have at least the finals on a lan, noone gives a **** how good you are on the net, its lan that counts in any real tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

It is annoying being a hpb playing against foreign lpb's who have no clue about ping, but if the teams in the league dont bring in new players then the league will stagnate, this happened after the q1 IQCL, noone really wanted to play each other much cos they knew what the scorelines would be. The lpb rule might be unfair, but if all the clans go hunting for new players it should make a more interesting league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Lads,

Ive been beta-testing the new-promode. It promises to be excellent. Wait till it comes out and see before makeing a decision.

Btw. I Also think the next league should be ran by a panel of people. (3 or 5 people)

With events of consequence such as finals, and major decisions, it would be more appropriate that decisions were made by several people. That way no one person can get blamed for a bad decision nor would it be likely that things would go askew.

If nobody has any objections, I would like to lead up the panel for the next league. But I WANT Jedi on the panel aswell. Tom, are you up for it mate?

Look, if you don't know what to do then just copy the UK league. I doubt they've got it wrong, no LPB restrictions and all.

Let's not have players participating in the league admining it. We need a completely neutral body.

Don't use Promode unless the UK league is using it.

If we don't play the way everyone else in the world is playing than we may aswell just have a UT league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

i agreee with vorosha...
    best suggestion so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Then, since I follow UK leagues as much (if not more) then many people here, and since I'm not knee deep in team.ie..

I hearby offer my services to help in the running of this league.

While I had intended to play for a clan in need of a player, I wont be playing for anyone going for silverware (mainly as I suck at DM smile.gif)..

On promode, I bet anyone here 20 quid that it will never be used in a big competition, unless the makers of it (hoony at al) organise the said competition.

I have seen an updated beta aswell and it is still ****e IMHO. I dont understand people complaining that the game is too balanced, that is one of Q3 best points in my and many many other peoples opinion. You dont just camp shaft and RL, you gotta keep your eye on several things you have to know the maps very well and have your team must be well drilled to win things. More so than in QW and Q2 IMHO. That does not mean QW or Q2 are better or worse. The 3 are just different games. As far as I can tell, no one wants pro mode bar a small(ish) community, who will prolly play it a lot, I would object a lot to useing it in a league here, now or in the future.

RE UK DM Leagues using promode - UKCCL, Wireplay or BW (the 3 UK team DM leagues) will never use pro mode, I can tell you that for deffinate. The only thing they could do is set up a 'promode league' and I cant see that that happening for a while TBH.

RE : Ping restriction - why not poll clans who played last year, vote on it. easy and democratic, and it will take 2 mins to gat a mail out and mebbe 5 mins to count votes. Me, personally, I would have no restriction. If some clans have no LPB's left then you should not force them to get one. You can only be fair so far.

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 27-04-2000).]

I have a modem that gives me 200 pings. Last IQ3CL I went to internet cafes and friends houses to play as LPB. It is sh!t for all concerned when playing with or playing against bad pings. So everyone just get it sorted out!! No LPB restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

err the answer is in jedis first post there if anyone bothered reading it:

top division: no LPB limit.
    second division: the old 2/2 limit.

everyones comparing this to the uk.
    we dont have the same ****in connects as the uk (pricewise).
    this way everyone _should_ be happy.

if a team want to play in the league but dont want to be destroyed by a good team of all lpbs.. choose the second division.
    otherwise choose the top one.

and theres well ****in plenty teams for two divisions, i think some teams are just ****in scared they'd end up in the lower one.
    and be laughed at.
    which they should be smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Vagga - Q1/Q2 teamplay is alot more complicated than you think, much more so than Q3 at the moment. RL/shaft camping is sooo 3 years ago.

I think Promode looks good, don't know if it'll be used though. Nearly all Q3 teamplay games look like complete ffa's to me, I definitely think some new maps should be tried out for the league.

[This message has been edited by Bunny (edited 27-04-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

to right vaga, its unlikely any reall competition will use a modified version of a game, expecialy cpl. They probably got a deal with id software anyway:]

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Agreed bunny.

Im a fan of trying new maps and levels, if you look at all the leagues they are getting in 1 or 2 new levels this season, some of the new maps are amazing, and are designed with q3 in mind..

New maps, old maps, wierd maps, fanjo maps... whatever guyz! Ass long ass they're the ones that everyone's playing worldwide... stick 'em in!^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Where maps are concerned, I feel we should either dump the BFG levels, or use the converted ones with the BFG removed. I strongly believe that ZTN3DM1 (Bloodbath) should be included, as it looks like there are plenty of ways to play it and could make for some interesting games. I dunno about Overkill having never warred on it, but I am starting to warm to it. It will be interesting to see what ID come up with in their expansion packs.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

Play the league the way every other country is no lpb restictions and what ever maps there playing dont start adding in maps that we dont need to know.

And what a stupid thing to say that there should be no BFG Ove course the BFG should be included ffs otherwise if you go to play on other servers or to play forgin clans who pick a BFG level then you are up $hits creek without a padle.

This promode DONT ad that in it will make a joke outa the league and the irish quaking community.

Having 2 leagues will be a joke aswell as clans will be tired of trying to play 2 games and just not bother turning up they tried this in Q2 with some teams putin in 2 seprate teams, havin a Team a and b but at the end of the league the clans had to pull out there 2nd team as they simply didnt have enought players for it or enough players showing up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

As Vagga suggested, I think a vote is the fairest way to decide on what types of connection / league structure should be put in place.
    Jedi mentioned several options and asked us to discuss them, he should now ask every clan to separately vote on them.
    The clans without the connections will loose interest very quickly when the 4 of the UL 30 ping crew arrive to play 4 200 pingers - that being a worse case scenario but likely to happen.
    If the majority of people do want an lpb league, prehaps trying to customise it for the people without good connections should be considered such as 3lpbs/1hpb or 2ISDN/2 Janet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

somehow i cant many players taking avail of a Janet connect smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I say 2 collage connection / 2isdn because I noticed that teams like PS, H and Se7en seem to be able to field 4 players on big leased lines for games. 4 10mb leased line players playing 4 ISDN players, there's a big difference. The UKCCL used to have rules concerning slpbs (super low ping biatches) and lpbs, which was quite fair.

Advertisement