Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip-Off Bin label charges ?...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by gurramok
    Cork, that slogan is used by Greenstar(Sita) waste disposal company and maybe copyrighted, do you work for them ? :D
    FFS, get real.

Do a search on www.google.ie for the phrase "reduce recylce reuse" and restrict it to pages from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Why the hostility ?... it was a bit of sarcasm.

And its been that companys slogan for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

If people want to cut down on bin charges - why not bring stuff to bring centres.

In many EU countries - there are local taxes to cover refuse disposal.

Originally posted by gurramok
    Why the hostility ?
    Hostility - you challenge someone for using a "copyrighted slogan", and you call me hostile?
    ... it was a bit of sarcasm.
    Maybe you can explain your definition of "sarcasm" for me, because I obviously missed the supposed sarcasm in your message.
    And its been that companys slogan for many years.
    It's been the worldwide environmental movements slogan for years. The world and her sister have been using the slogan for as long as I can remember. The thing that amazes me, though, is that you're obviously using a web browser when accessing Bpards - so why not use google to check that you're not making a total pillock of yourself before posting such an asinine comment?

Originally posted by Cork
    There were local taxes in Ireland to cover refuse disposal too, until 1979, when FF bought the election by promising to abolish domestic rates.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Hostility - you challenge someone for using a "copyrighted slogan", and you call me hostile?

Little bit of hostility from your previous post -> "FFS, get real"
    The thing that amazes me, though, is that you're obviously using a web browser when accessing Bpards - so why not use google to check that you're not making a total pillock of yourself before posting such an asinine comment?

Are you attacking the post or the poster here ? !:confused:

It does not warrant this type of response from yourself.

If people want to cut down on bin charges - why not bring stuff to bring centres.

Good idea.
    I'd happily bring any rubbish i have to a rubbish disposal centre like the equivalent of bottle banks(bring your bottles) idea as long as the fee is not extortionate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

It still Rip Off Ireland....

€190 for Bin's last year.... (free the year before)

It has risen to €312 this year.

I don't mind paying for it, but come on a rise €122 in one year - thats a rip off. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Maybe you can explain your definition of "sarcasm" for me, because I obviously missed the supposed sarcasm in your message.
    It's been the worldwide environmental movements slogan for years. The world and her sister have been using the slogan for as long as I can remember. The thing that amazes me, though, is that you're obviously using a web browser when accessing Bpards - so why not use google to check that you're not making a total pillock of yourself before posting such an asinine comment?

Psycho-Hose-Beast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Sorry the guys in a flat bed truck that come by and pick up my trash could not conceivably cost €152 yearly per household. Secondly there isn't a bring centre anywhere near my Temple Bar apartment. That means that I have to drive there, which is kinda defeating the issue there isn't it (besides the fact that it's useless to own a car in the city centre). Or should I get on the bus?
    As it stands now I have to throw my bag on the sidewalk and some guys, sometimes, pick it up when they are supposed to.
    I WILL NOT pay for that.
    Other European countries actually have a recycling infrastructure in place and don't suck the livelyhood out of ya to pay for a service they do not provide.
    They have separated bins all over towns and cities as well as curbside pick up.
    When that comes to pass I will gladly recycle and pay for what i don't.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭Wolfie

Hmm.. I remember when the whole bin tax debate was going on here on boards I was flamed from many people (mainly environmentalist trendies/yuppies actually) for pointing out that the tax was unjust and would increase over time, so that councils would have people over a barrel.

You can be sure of one thing in life, prices go up, not down.. so everyone should resist the introduction of new prices as much as possible.

Think about that when they try to sneak in the water rates again! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

We were talking about the price of wine. How did this become a debate about the bin tax?

(Which I pay, though at a lower rate because I have small bins - I compost a lot, and bring a lot to the Bring Centre, so I only put out the small-size green bin every couple of months, and the small-size black bin about once a month.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Rubbish label costs up again ?..

I am bloody fuming with rage. The price of a bin label in Donegal has just gone up again from €5.50c to €7.50c :mad: . Thats the second price increase this year and this is only February !. :confused: .

P. :ninja:

Originally posted by Paddy20
    I am bloody fuming with rage. The price of a bin label in Donegal has just gone up again from €5.50c to €7.50c :mad: . Thats the second price increase this year and this is only February !.
    Aren't you lucky they're having local elections this year, so you can vote in someone who'll give you lower bin charges!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Ripwave,

Who might you suggest, or even which party ?... as I consider my local politicians to be nothing less than a bunch of highly incompetent lackys as bad as the corrupt Bastards in the Capital. They do not give a fart about Joe Public, and could teach the Italian mafia a thing or two. Personal pocket lining is their main occupation and the privitasition of household rubbish collection was just another lucrative dosh making scam.

P. :ninja:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This month we can now put Beverage Cartons in the green bin. And we can put paper/cardboard and cans and NOTHING ELSE.

Still can't put plastic into green bin or glass or most mixed materials or DIY refuse, consumer goods etc.

In fact all the seem to want is clean stuff that can be flatpacked.

Recycling is good - but it seems to be based on charging the consumer rather then finding a use for materials.

Is it time to start a campaign for "No disposal fee" advertising on products ?

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Ripwave,

Who might you suggest, or even which party ?... as I consider my local politicians to be nothing less than a bunch of highly incompetent lackys as bad as the corrupt Bastards in the Capital. They do not give a fart about Joe Public, and could teach the Italian mafia a thing or two. Personal pocket lining is their main occupation and the privitasition of household rubbish collection was just another lucrative dosh making scam.
    Well, as they can't be much competition if they're that corrupt, why don't you run yourself. I'm sure if you promise everyone free bin charges, you'll be elected in a landslide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Its small but you can get tax allowance at standard rate if you are paying on the tag basis, worth around 39 yo yos a year - or thereabouts.

Small but better in your pocket etc.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I now a small bin and usually leave it out every second week.

Charge before = €130
    Charge now = €3 * 30 (allowing 4 times where i don't skip a week) = €90

My green bin is always jammed every month and I visit the recycling centre to dump bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

this whole bin charge is a complete rip off
    dont pay!
    let the rubish build up all over dublin till crisis point an they will have to collect it.

local taxation always covered services like bin collection.
    taxation has not changed in any way to reflect moving the charge directly to the people.

and hey!!? hasnt anyone pointed out, that the people that should be directly charged for disposing of all this rubbish, it the people that generate it in the 1st place.

Manufactures of consumables

I buy a bottle of milk, i am only interested in the the contents not the carton, and since the price of the milk also includes the price of the carton which goes to the distributor, it is the distributor that should be paying the charge.
    We as the consumer are left with the burden of disposing of their packaging?

the same goes for any other packaging that you discard, it has be generating by the manufacture who adds in the cost of the packaging into the cost you bare for the goods.

Eessentialy we should not be baring the cost of collection of other poeples rubbish.
    governments should be levying the manufacture not the consumers.
    Manufactures should be forced to come up with envioromently friendly packaging or alternative methods that do not damage the envioroment,

hey i remmber when milk came in glass bottles which we returned (no waiste)
    now its plastic bottles or cardbord cartons.

We do not generate the waist we put in our bins it is already generated and waiting on shelves in supermakets, factories and shops just waiting for someone else to take it home with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I agree that our taxes should pay for refuse collection, it did in the bad auld days of the 1980's so I don't see why it shouldn't now. It's simply a backdoor tax.

however I disagree that we should let it build up until it reaches "crisis point"
    I for one do not want the massive increase in the rat population in residential areas that this would bring.

I bit the bullet and paid I'm afraid. I just can't have rubbish building up outside my house as I'm trying to sell it!

btw just so everyone knows,
    waist - The part of the human trunk between the bottom of the rib cage and the pelvis.
    waste - An unusable or unwanted substance or material,
    Garbage; trash ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SeeYouJimmy

Paddy20, I too live in donegal, and like yourself i have to pay ridiculous refuse charges. There is only one refuse collector in my area though, and it costs €4.50 for every bin bag that i want to despose of. bearing in mind that there are five people living in my house, my refuse charges can top €15 a week....

Seems like a rip off to me when it was reported in the donegal democrat today that my local county councellor recieved over €35,000 in expenses last year.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

While I support bin charges (it is only fair, you generate the waste), my policy if I were in government would be:

1. Reduce income tax by whatever has in the past gone towards bin charges from direct taxation
    2. Introduce direct bin charges (for example, a maximum of 4 euros per bin)
    3. Cap the amount councils can charge, so that they are forced to work efficiently, and get good contracts
    4. Stiff fines for anyone dumping illegally

Why? It makes sense. People would be more aware of the waste they are generating, reducing overall waste. Overall taxes should be reduced, because councils would need to get better contracts. People who are currently not having any bin collection service at all, and need to bring their waste to the dump, would get a fairer deal. I call it half-taxation. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    While I support bin charges (it is only fair, you generate the waste)

I do not generate the waste. I'm the poor baastard left with it. I don't choose to put the excess packaging on everything I buy. I don't want it. Who the hell needs a triple wrapped Penguin bar. The consumer has no choice, buy what's in the shops or starve.

The waste is coming from the manufacturers not the consumers. They neatly side step their responsibilities by joining Repak. Read the notices outside Tescos where they say that they will not accept any packing back as they are members of Repak. Is there no excess packaging on Tesco products?

Has anybody considered the huge profits made by supermarkets now that they do not give out plastic bags to carry home our purchases. Leaving the tax aside, the cost of providing the actual bags was already factored into the selling price of the goods we buy. Now that they do not provide nealy as many that substantial saving is just going into their back pocket. I don't remember any price drops to balance this saving.

This not an attack on Tesco, fill in any supermarket name you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Silent, the only way that is going to change is if consumers put pressure on producers and manufacturers. You and I know that 'aint gonna happen if waste disposal is paid for by general taxaction, and no matter how much of it you produce, you still pay the same (through general taxaction).

The fact is, no matter how it is done, the disposal of waste costs money, and we have to pay for it anyway (either through general taxaction, or directly). It makes more sense to go the later route. Not only will it actually mean saving money in the long run (because we will end up putting pressure on producers, and at the end of the day produce less waste that needs to be disposed). Granted this is only a small example, but you only have to look as far as the tax on plastic bags.

Advertisement