Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB extension lead

• 22-01-2004 3:18am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive seen afew on the net (and abit dearer than i had hoped), but does anyone know of any shops in Dublin that I can get one of these?
    Just a simple extender, so i can plug my usb cables into it, and then it into the PC.
    Better still, how about an adaptor with a long cable? but the long cable is the most important part!

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Not sure about the prices, but as far as I know, the "official" supported length for USB is 10m, and it's not advisable to go above that.

Is a USB hub out of the question?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I got one with my usb memory ages ago they are very handy ok - now does anyone know of a firewire equivalent? Have asked around but no go - ideal for an ipod where theres no front firewire provision

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

i wouldnt need to go any further than 10m. its for my stereo to pc link, and its likely that when i re-organise my room, they'll be on opposite sides.

how long is a hub wire? and how much? I have used up all my USB ports so I might need to get one of those pretty soon anyway

Flogen

i wouldnt need to go any further than 10m.

Hmm I would say that you would be very lucky to get one that long - but how will you link it to your hi fi - does your hifi have a usb socket? Maybe I am minsundestanding you?

• Advertisement

Yeah, its a sweet little phillips with a usb socket, means i can play mp3s through my stereo, as well as use the stereo for game music.

Flogen

Have you considered using an orthodox audio lead from the soundcard to the aux inputs of the stereo might hold up better than a ten meter usb lead? you know one with the walkman type plug cant think of the proper name for it to two phono leads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Maplins do em , In Blanchardstown .

Cant remeber how exactly long the one I have is but I'd reckon its about 6-7 meters maybe more.

Cost about €40 or there abouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

flogen,
    Go to www.maplin.co.uk and do a search 5 Metre USB Extension Lead and you'll see what your looking for, it will extend to 10 meters.
    Let us know how you get on!!! :):):)

Heres another one for you (5m) that I just happened to find:
    Komplett usb lead

• Advertisement

cheers for those links.
    In answer to your question dub, i could use the cables (i guess you mean the red and white ones), infact i have everything i need to do it, but the fact that I can use teh stereo remote to change tracks on musicmatch is pretty nice, and besides, I didnt get the USB one so I wouldnt use it (and the two audio ports are taken up by my minidisc player.... unless you can get an adaptor for the sockets so you can connect 2 or 3 devices to the one Aux outlet.... can you?!!)

Flogen

unless you can get an adaptor for the sockets so you can connect 2 or 3 devices to the one Aux outlet.... can you?!!)

Yep absolutely no problem - you can get cheap or expensive ones - Peats or Maplin should have them - I think I have even seen them in HMV,
    Here's a typical example although QED can be expenisve - interesting to see so many of them being discontinued must be due to the death of seperates hifi!
    QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Advertisement