Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DVD -/+ Media (where to get, what is good)

• 22-01-2004 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi All

This might be a good idea if we could put up our experience of different websites of DVD media.
    As most of you know Delivery to ireland from a lot of sites around is expensive.
    So maybe a where to get etc.

Also infomation about different types of media - as in what are good what works on what etc. As brand names by no means mean quality
    FAQ :
    Wanna know what's the difference between DVD- and DVD+??

Why can you only burn 4.38Gb of data on a 4.7Gb disc?

What is the best media?

Brand Names = Quality?

All answered here
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172496
    DVD Media - Where to get (ONLY FOR IRISH DELIVERY )
    http://www.discount-computers-ni.co.uk/home.php
    Prices displayed in Euro .. delivery is 10euro .. regardless of weight
    4 days delivery
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/
    Also known as svp.co.uk
    Delivery for 1xCake of DVD- was 10euro .. delivery goes up with weight
    Delivery took 3 days
    DVD Media
    Reviews of media can be found here

Any other decent websites etc please tell!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Thanks so much for the discount-computers link! I'm in the market for 50 DVD's and work in Belfast so i'm going to get me a spindle tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

DVD-R 4,7 GB (G) Princo 4x Spindle 25-pack @ 27.75 EUR from...

http://www.cdrsite.com

Fast delivery and great quality

P&P = 10€ up to 30 kg. (which should be enough DVD-R's for anyone) :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Peats in Dublin www.peats.com are doing a 25 spindle of Datasafex4 DVD-Rs yellow tops for €29.95 inc. VAT
    - I've never had any problems with these discs.

I've also found www.bigpockets.co.uk own brand discs DVD-Rs to be cheap but not quite as compatible as the datasafes. the shipping can be a bit pricey so best to buy in bulk and/or split the shipping with a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

we do some DVD rw +/- roms and cds pritty cheap

www.jaguarcompsys.ie

Hope thats some help :)

If you need anyinfo on one of our products, you can call us - the numbers on the site there. One of the lads would be glad to answer some questions

reD.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hcvti

I previously got mine from Ebuyer in England, but were £25 for delivery to Ireland, So got a recent batch of white princo printable from mediawrite.ie and they had reasonable delivery rates within Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

www.pricestorm.com have pretty cheap DVD-Rs.

Datawrite Yellows are UK£16.19 or my fave, Datasafe Ritek G04dye 25x spindle for UK£17.99 (roughly €26.60). Of course the best thing about this site is delivery is FREE in UK and Ireland! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dvstuff

Well i threw myself in at the deepend and bought a LG Multiwrite dvd burner http://www.mediawrite.ie/DVDWriters.htm , thanks to the helpful feedback on here i bought a pack of Datawrite 4x Yellow For €17 + VAT + Delivery @ €5 - http://www.mediawrite.ie/DVD-R.htm only 1 gripe with them - "I need to order more as im burning everything in sight"! lol. I think I will get a couple of tubs the next time as delivery is only €5 whatever the quantity. This makes Mediawrite one of the most competitive ive seen so far. They are also an Irish company which means delivery is usually the next day. These disks are great - ive burned dvd films, data and audio - not 1 coaster and i would recommend these to anyone - i certainly wont be looking for anything else! 10/10 for these fellas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

from my experience the best media are "ritek g-04".
    now you can get these as either riteks own brand or get ones such as datasafe that use the same dye and are good. check out pcn.ie for the orage riteks and cases. once you get cases it will only cost you less than a quid each. Nifty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

www.dvd-and-media.com

I got 200 dvd+r's X4 speed at 35p sterling each plus £5.99 P+P. They deliver from Enniskillen so they are quick enough to deliver. The Intenso branded discs I purchased are great - Not one fail so far (about 40 done)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

ive bought alot of media from bigpockets.co.uk shipping can be pricey as stated earlier but their ritek die disks are super i had one bogey from 500 disks not bad goin..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

just got another order from big pockets, datawrites 4x at £18 per hundred, seem to be a very good disk, ordered them at 3pm friday had them lunchtime monday.

only downside is the postage, to southern ireland its 15.50 regardless of how much you order, so either buy in bulk or split the shipping with mates, even with the postage still prob the best value around!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 opencent

among the biggest online dvd r media shop store in USA, the cooperator of ritek and samsung sony beall prodiscs , please visit the url http://www.meritline.com/media.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 airwave1007

I have to say in all my years of experience Taiyo Yuden make by far the best DVD-r and CD-R's for that matter. I buy them in the thousands so maybe not the same as many on here who just use them for home use. I get them from www.ramtechnologies.ie in Ashbourne and they do them all Inkjet, White/Silver, Thermal etc... and other brands too. Anyway best of luck with whatever you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

www.svp.co.uk
    cheap dvds, lots of brands, also do amazing low price cases/boxes etc post is too expensive if you are only getting 25 or so, but if you get 100+ there are great deals. Postage is reasonable as it is 2 day courier

• Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Richer Sounds in Belfast are selling the Panasonic DVD-R in individual jewel cases at £0.69 each (about €1yoyo) each - if you order a minimum of 20 they will do free shipping if you tell them you are a boards.ie member - (John mc From Richer Sounds- declared interest! :D )

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mkelleher77

Read somewhere the same disks that aldi were selling are made by the same boy's who make the Panasonic DVD-R's, don't know how true this is though, Off to Aldi to take a look at their CHEAP DVD recorder tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

Does anyone know of anywhere that stocks Dual Layer DVD media. Bought a Sony dual layer writer when i was building my PC but Even Sony Centres don't stock the disks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Thepost

The Prices on www.justmedia.ie are very good and they are based in Finglas Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Thepost

hussey wrote:
    Hi All

This might be a good idea if we could put up our experience of different websites of DVD media.
    As most of you know Delivery to ireland from a lot of sites around is expensive.
    So maybe a where to get etc.

Also infomation about different types of media - as in what are good what works on what etc. As brand names by no means mean quality
    FAQ :
    Wanna know what's the difference between DVD- and DVD+??

What is the best media?

Brand Names = Quality?

All answered here
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172496
    DVD Media - Where to get (ONLY FOR IRISH DELIVERY )
    http://www.discount-computers-ni.co.uk/home.php
    Prices displayed in Euro .. delivery is 10euro .. regardless of weight
    4 days delivery
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/
    Also known as svp.co.uk
    Delivery for 1xCake of DVD- was 10euro .. delivery goes up with weight
    Delivery took 3 days
    DVD Media
    Reviews of media can be found here

Any other decent websites etc please tell!!
    www.justmedia.ie in Finglas Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Ordered a few DVD-Rs from www.mediawrite.ie yesterday afternoon and they arrived here this morning. Good value too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Jerryc

mediawrite.ie is the best for dvds, next day delivery is superb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bobsyouruncle

http://nenaghcomputers.ie/catalog/default.php?cPath=28

This site is brilliant.. some of the cheapest pc parts ul get anywhere.
    100 dvd+r for €20 :)
    They also do 880watt speakers for €12.50 :)
    They do all parts for computers at really low prices chect it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 runtime

hey guys,

i was about to order 100 dvd-rs, 100 dvd cases and 100 dvd insterts from www.cdrsite.com when happened upon Unity Etail Number One Jervis St, Dublin 1 - i spoke to them and they told me they have a shipment of dvds and cds on it's way to them and it should arrive next week. i told them of my plans to buy from the uk and he assured me there was no need, as his dvd-rs will be "cheaper than the internet"! so i'm holding off ordering for the moment until i can get a price from him next week when they're in stock. dublin is in need of somewhere selling spindles of 100 tub dvd-rs (i'm after printables myself) at good prices, hopefully it will have this soon - i will let you know how i get on. Unity Etail can be reached on 01 8747600 or by email info@unity.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Goosey

I am lucky enough to own an Epson R300 printer. So I get my ink from Media Write and also my blank DVD's. I have to say that I have been most impressed by the Ridisc Extreme Ritek G05 8X for printing on with my cheap ink :)

I have ordered several times from these guys and I have to say that I have yet nothing to complain about in ink or DVD's.

I go to just media in Finglas village for my DVD case's but for ink and DVD's media write http://www.mediawrite.ie cannot be beat.

runtime wrote:
    hey guys,

i was about to order 100 dvd-rs, 100 dvd cases and 100 dvd insterts from www.cdrsite.com when happened upon Unity Etail Number One Jervis St, Dublin 1 - i spoke to them and they told me they have a shipment of dvds and cds on it's way to them and it should arrive next week. i told them of my plans to buy from the uk and he assured me there was no need, as his dvd-rs will be "cheaper than the internet"! so i'm holding off ordering for the moment until i can get a price from him next week when they're in stock. dublin is in need of somewhere selling spindles of 100 tub dvd-rs (i'm after printables myself) at good prices, hopefully it will have this soon - i will let you know how i get on. Unity Etail can be reached on 01 8747600 or by email info@unity.ie

Do these guys have a website?

Moderator ...please delete this post.

Thx

Goosey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daraghburns

discs.ie seems a good site. i only ordered the memorex ones as the rest seem a bit dodgy.(like yellowpaq or something). they all worked fine except for a few that came loose during shippping but i reckon this was a one off thing.
    it was around 25 euros or so for 100 dvd-r at 4x speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 charge

I use http://www.diskdepot.co.uk for all my needs. They're dead cheap for shipping too, especialy in Ireland

Only ever had one problem with order and they sorted it out very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk (AKA SVP) or http://www.mediawrite.ie
    ^ Both have good brands, great prices. MediaWrite are Irish and have cheaper and faster shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 summer

Top marks to www.mediawrite.ie, i have got to say their service is top quality.
    I have got stuff of those guys many times, and the postage is cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

I swear by the That's Write 8x DVD+R on Komplett and at at less than 30 cent per disk is great value. (Note: there is a shiping cost).

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=305976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Maplin are currently selling 100 pack spindles of TDK 16X DVD-R for 49.99. I got the same brand (but 8X) in a 2 for 1 50pk deal before and had no problems with em.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

summer wrote:
    Top marks to www.mediawrite.ie, i have got to say their service is top quality.
    I have got stuff of those guys many times, and the postage is cheap

Use them all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

Harvey Norman's are doing Verbatim 8x DVD+R/-R 4.7GB in a Tub of 25 for €9.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭gnashrr

opencent wrote:
    among the biggest online dvd r media shop store in USA, the cooperator of ritek and samsung sony beall prodiscs , please visit the url http://www.meritline.com/media.html
    Yes, with €100 shipping to Ireland.

Boo USA!
    I have to say in all my years of experience Taiyo Yuden make by far the best DVD-r and CD-R's for that matter. I buy them in the thousands so maybe not the same as many on here who just use them for home use. I get them from www.ramtechnologies.ie in Ashbourne and they do them all Inkjet, White/Silver, Thermal etc... and other brands too. Anyway best of luck with whatever you buy.

Thanks for the link, I've been looking for somewhere in Ireland selling Taiyo Yuden as they top all the polls for best media online. Only thing is they don't give any prices on their site so I'm waiting to hear back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭gnashrr

RAM Technologies sent me a quote back for the particular discs I'm interested in Taiyo Yuden Full Face White Printable CDRs @ €55 per 100 spindle which may not be too bad if you live in Co.Meath but with shipping to Dublin at €25 I'll be looking elsewhere. I'm going to email Taiyo Yuden themselves later on and see if they'll give me a list of their suppliers in The UK & Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

hussey wrote:
    Because DVDs sizes are measured in GigaBytes (GB), which are technically 10 to the power of 9 bytes, or 1,000,000,000 bytes.

Windows, on the other hand, uses the tradition of measuring everything in GibiBytes (GiB). A GibiByte is 2 to the power of 30 Bytes (1,073,741,824 bytes) and is used because powers of 2 make sense in a binary computer.

What really causes confusion is that GibiBytes are usually called "GigaBytes" (even by Windows), so when Windows is saying there is 4.38GB on your DVD, it's lying, because there are really 4.38GiB on it.

4.7GB = 4,700,000,000 bytes = 4.3772GiB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I have to say in all my years of experience Taiyo Yuden make by far the best DVD-r and CD-R's for that matter. .

I am with you on this !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I know this is an old thread, but should be worth bumping.

Not having much luck with SVP as they have stopped delivering to Ireland due to high delivery costs. :confused:
    I have supplied them with a few possible alternatives but I just keep getting told that they'll let me know. It's been close to six months now. My last order from them was great. Great service as well.

Have checked out some other sites, but not having much in finding what I'm after.. Datasafe (Taiyo Yuden) Silver-Topped 8x DVD-R / Spindle tub of 100

Anyone got any ideas? Anything with the TYG02 mark will do. Great discs.

I know www.camerakit.ie sell Taiyo Yuden in bulk (as well as others). I'm sure how competitive they are.

• Advertisement

Also, komplett.ie do verbatium printable disks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Looks like justmedia.ie have what I'm after. :)

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Advertisement