Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea show interest in Arjen Robben

• 22-01-2004 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Chelsea inquire on Man U negotiations for Robben From Planetfootball.com

Looks like Chelsea could be tempted to have a pop for Robben after inquiring on the state of Man Us negotiations for Robben.
    Poor Joe Cole must be wondering what he did wrong...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

just trying to interfere with united again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Posturing IMO

If you think about it while Chelsea have spent a lot of money on a number players they have not done anything ridiculous with their money yet. Correct me if I,m wrong but as far as i know Rio Ferdinand is still the record buy in the premiership. Chelsea want Parker but will not offer Charlton what the consider a resonable offer. I think all these stories about Chelsea's outbidding other teams for players is just hype which has not been borne out in reality yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

They outbidded Utd for Duff. I remember gill saying so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    They outbidded Utd for Duff. I remember gill saying so.

but they won't step in and offer huge money straight up, rather be sensible and pay the market price. Of course the market price is rarely sensible. but thats a diff story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Duff went for the release price in his contract, Duff was waiting to see if manu would put a bid in before going ahead with chelsea, but you can't underbid the minimum needed, so saying chelsea outbid manu is just silly

• Advertisement

What astrofool said.

Every time there is a transfer speculation lately Chelseas are usuall rumoured to be prepared to offer double the amount of anyone else. All I am saying is that this fear has no basis in fact as of yet. It will be interesting to see who wins out should they both go for the same player in earnest until then it just bluff and hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by astrofool
    Duff went for the release price in his contract, Duff was waiting to see if manu would put a bid in before going ahead with chelsea, but you can't underbid the minimum needed, so saying chelsea outbid manu is just silly

but they did outbid utd for duff. Utd offered a certain amount and said that would be it. Chelsea offered what was required therefore outbidding utd. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I wouldn't believe all these rumours regarding Chelsea targets. Every day you lift a newspaper theres someone different linked with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

utd didn't bid for duff....... not in the summer anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I don't like what Chelsea are at? They are unsettling players with all this money they are throwing in players faces - take Scott Parker for example. He has a good shot at the England team ATM but if he ends up at Chelsea in the summer he may forget about it because there is an overflow of midfielders there. I see Joe Cole was complaining about it today - my bet is he'l leave there this summer (remember you heard it here ;))

They have been talking to PSV and I presume it's about Robben.

Originally posted by astrofool
    utd didn't bid for duff....... not in the summer anyway

http://www.socceraddicts.com/News/November/15/BlackburnChelseaManUnited.htm

this is what i was referring to. Apologies for confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I read an interesting article on football365.com actually. It said that before Abramovich came Chelsea were losing 10 million a year and apparently they weren't far off the situation Leeds are in.

Since then they've added 100+ million worth of players with phat contracts plus some of the people that were already there got improved contracts.

What this means is that should Abramovich ever leave or get bored its more than likely bye bye chelsea!

He doesnt want to go to Chelsea. His father who is his agent said "its either mancherster or else he is staying where he is."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by James R
    I read an interesting article on football365.com actually. It said that before Abramovich came Chelsea were losing 10 million a year and apparently they weren't far off the situation Leeds are in.

Since then they've added 100+ million worth of players with phat contracts plus some of the people that were already there got improved contracts.

What this means is that should Abramovich ever leave or get bored its more than likely bye bye chelsea!
    I have often thought of that. Abramovich will not be around for ever and when he goes the wage bill will be in excess of 2mil per WEEK, i don't see much people wanting to take that club over. Chelsea were actually 80mil in debt before Abramovich came.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I have often thought of that. Abramovich will not be around for ever and when he goes the wage bill will be in excess of 2mil per WEEK, i don't see much people wanting to take that club over. Chelsea were actually 80mil in debt before Abramovich came.

What has happened at Leeds will be small fry compared to Chelsea should Roman get bored with his latest toy and walk. If they win nothing in the next few seasons it will be interesting to see just how committed he is to them with the realisation that money doesn't guarantee success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It would be funny to see him drop out,cause most of the players would probally walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Back on the topic.

Roben's Father who I think is acting as his agent stated that there is only two clubs Arjen would play for either PSV or Man Utd. I read this on the ITV teletext page so I don't know how true it is. I haven't seen him play myself but a mate of mine told me that he is an excellent player. No doubt Man U will pay through the nose for him again but i guess they can afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Originally posted by jonno
    I don't like what Chelsea are at? They are unsettling players with all this money they are throwing in players faces - take Scott Parker for example. He has a good shot at the England team ATM but if he ends up at Chelsea in the summer he may forget about it because there is an overflow of midfielders there.

Parker has a gentleman clause in his contract which allows him to join any of the top 3 it was revealed in the summer. So I don't see what the big fuss is about we made 2 bids they were rejected.
    But according to Jimmy Hills Sunday Supplement he'll join tomorrow.
    Cole never takes the easy option always tries to overelaborate on the ball and then wastes an attack yesterday is a prime example of that.
    Jesper in his 4 years at CFC still hasn't learned how to cross a ball.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he did walk it'd be great for every other team.

Chelsea would have to unload at least half of their new buys, at discounted prices, to pay off debts.

But I dont think he will walk.
    The mannor in which he got all his money in the first place shows he is interested in long term investments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement