Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give me a break here.

Options
  • 30-04-2000 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Lads.

Is there anything that can be done with vishnu? Its totally unplayable. Please, Please, Please, let me help. I'll gladly donate a dedicated PC for a server.

Getting 200 pings on the server is just not on. How can we possible compete in any competition ever with this sorta server.

And before you say, its not the server, its the hosting, thats **** because I get 30-50 pings to other game servers on the IGN loop. How can we even consider having Team3.ie with nowhere to practice or play?

Sorry if Im pished off, but this is one of the few games I love and I feel I am unable to play it over the net in my own country.

HELP! PLEASE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It would be a mistake to ignore/turndown MP's offer. Something is wrong on the server for sure. Let him help.

Say no more till you hear nothing :)

Jimmy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

because u said yer self i shall bring back me post..
    its the eircom internal network.
    hows dem apples taste going down?

[This message has been edited by DEATH (edited 01-05-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Okay, how about this then.

If i ping mail1.eircom.net I get 30-40 constant. Nice and solid. If I ping vishnu, its goes anything from 50 - 200.

I know the mail server and vishnu are in the same room and connected to the same backbone. I would say they stuck it in the 'dont place cat 5 cable in this port. its knackered' one.

I dont know what the actual problem is or where it lies .. YET. but I do know its phuckered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

I agree with Eric, but rather than get into a poxy debate, and due to the fact that there is no language allowed on the boards, my opinion can be found here :

[url="Http://www.challenge-ie.com/columns/zero"]Http://www.challenge-ie.com/columns/zero[/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Big L

From playing on that server i've noticed at certain times it's better then others. And when ping spikes it happens to everyone. At 4 o'clock I logged onto vishnu and noticed I was getting a 46-55 ping, which is pretty much the lowest its ever been. Early in the morning it's grand, late at night it's grand. But for the majority of the day it goes through on/off periods... one sec you're playing with a 70 ping and a minute later it's 170. I don't know what the problem is but I do know that as a server it is unsuitable for running a league on, unsuitable for any type of formal match arrangement... most competition would outrightly refuse to play on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Same thing with qw server but as i was playing my high ping and pl went away gradually, now it's bak to normal smile.gif this is the only time it's been this bad.

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 30-04-2000).]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Heres your answers:

1. The box is the biggest we have.

2. It runs Dors, Battlecom and Q3.
    Dors is an irc bot.
    Battlecom uses about 1 kps of bw occasionally.

Neither are the problem but just in case I've taken them down to test.

here is your problem:
    142 ms 48 ms 48 ms fe3-0.son-of-pa.cra.dublin.eircom.net
    148 ms 112 ms 112 ms e4-0.gw2.cra.dublin.eircom.net

The ericom network is spiking. There is bugger all I can do but I'm in talks with other ISPs to try and relocate but what can I do.

Zero, I dont see much in the way of helpful suggestions in your rant. What exactly would you do in our place?

Remember, you do nothing for Eircom except annoy them with support calls, and you take up 5 racks of much needed space. Now exactly how do you go about complaining?

We're working on it, these things take time.

DeV.

Myself and Dev took an deep look at the problem ealier tonight.

It does look like either Eircom are capping the bandwith from the router or there is a problem with their routing.

Thankfully, Dev has been looking into this for some time, but is getting no help from the Eircom at the moment.

Thanks tom for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

Just read zero's column - good stuff, regularly updated no bull**** columns like that make the game (for me anyway) more interesting.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To all:
    I dont post what I'm doing with the IGN because believe it or not, there are forces that would rather see the IGN quietly die off then find a new home. I annouce things when they are sure, not for dramatic effect but because in any other way I run certain risks.

Right now we have a problem with Eircom. Do you honestly believe I dont know this?
    Do you think I'm not trying to fix this?
    Do you think complaining its not fixed will speed these matters along?
    Do you honestly think, for one second, if we get pushy with the isps they will have a second thought in just pulling the plug?

This has to be done softly softly. If I think you can help, I'll ask.

There are a lot of other things going on right now both in my life personally and business wise. Please bear in mind that I can only spend so long every day working towards the IGNs goals.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

softly softly catchy monkey....

pff wot do we pay ye for dev wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

smile.gif..it makes me laugh really...

its always been a problem with the bandwidth not with the servers.

When i used to play from college, if you played b4 6pm you`d get a sh!te ping and loadsa pl, bt after 6 bang niceish ping and much less pl.

I can play from work now, which is nice, and i loaded up for a game of ca, i know its not the same server but its an example. I`m old we've 2 2 meg lines in ere, so i get a nice ping of 30, spikes to 33 on ocassion, but i get lots of pl. Sometimes the connect spikes up to 70 and about 15pl and then drops again. There are 3 ppl in total who work weekends, and i know what each is does, and none where using the connect when i was playin.

So its the bw and not the servers.

Z man, u think that eircom will give a better connect to some games servers they care little about then their main mail server? ping is independent of box, its the bandwidth that goes with the box the gives u the pings.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Whatever the situation, I'd like to thank DeVore, Regi, Slosh and co for all of their hard work with IGN. The Irish gaming scene wouldn't be anything like it is today without the IGN.

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress
    SoF Clan site

Dev man,

1) I'm not making an accusation at yourself
    2) I am perfectly entitled to rant

Nobody's knocking the work you guys put in, Slosh in particular springs to mind, but if a loudmouth like me doesn't start screaming, these things never get "looked into".

My actual opinion on the thing was that it was an Eircom problem, but sure if they are going to host the ign, can they not give it some decent bandwidth? For some reason the picture in my head of the Q3 server is this Big Monstrous ISP with HUGE servers and lines.....and then down this obscure little corridor underneath some guys desk is this coffee stained little box on a co-ax connection with 50 lads trying to connect to it, while a janitor's dog chews on the co-ax.

But then that's just my imagination. (Token smiley --> smile.gif)

Sort it out soon...please.

zero u faeg
    do u really think just because some ****er like you says something that that alone will get things done?
    if this is true you are truely sic and need help.
    your old news, why would yer opinion matter in the least?
    where do u get this "better than the rest" attitude? what have you done personally to justify such praise or respect?
    nothing.
    now shut your muppet hole and **** off back to where you came from bot rat.
    ooo token nerd smiley smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Death man, did it take much practice to get to where you are now. You can take any situation and turn it into an opportunity to insult them. Pretty amazing really. I had to work at being an annoying muppet (that also sucks as you so often point out) for years before I perfected it. You truly have perfected your art and I admire you for it. I only hope that more people can follow your example and stick with their shosen path until they achieve the level of greatness that you clearly have (cue witty retort) cool.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Death to Death.

How's that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Shosen path ?

Actually its kinda funny. Death has an ability to truely get under someone skin as shown recently with CG v "more people".
    Zero was the original trailblazer of this tactic. Often Zero says things even he doesnt agree with, I should have seen this as an attempt to stir ****e and kept with my own plan. I am but human.

The server, we are told and lead to believe, is treated like ever other piece of hardware in Eircom. I've seen the box and its right beside nua's Local Ireland (which in itself may be a problem).
    Eric is looking into it tomorrow with Eircom contacts, meanwhile I'm continuing my search for other hosts. The Irish internet is, was and for the forseeable future will be ****e. Its just a fact of life. We dont pay eircom, we dont do anything for them, hell we dont even use their dialups mostly. What, from a business perspective do they get from the deal? Thats always been the problem. That will continue to be the problem until someone (ie most likely me) does something rather drastic about the situation.

Hence the limited company, hence www.playerofgames.com hence the work we've been putting in behind the scenes. These things take time. We cant just move on a whim. I appreciate your problems, I'm not happy with them myself but it cant be changed over night nor within a month.

Noone is saying (at least I'm not) "put up with it its not costing you anything" but realistically you've had it easy for a long time and we've lived on hand outs. The IGN has been a beggar, it cant be a chooser, yet.

BW being sold will help us a lot, I think.

In the coming months I know that competition will enter the market abroad and indeed here perhaps. When that happens we need to be ready or we risk handing ouff our community to people who care only about bottom-line and not gamesplayers.

You cant checkmate someone in the first move of chess, so I'm trying to position pieces so that we have a position of strength to negotiate from. The problem is that you also dont reveal your strategy to your opponents hence its hard for me to fill you guys in in public.

Bear with us, there is more going on in the background then you can imagine. We've only just taken control, give us a chance.

Tom.
    ps:I'm drunk smile.gif

[This message has been edited by DeVore (edited 02-05-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Not a bad idea Dev we shoud have a drunk smille, whould explanie a lot of the posts on the boards.

Faironuff Tom.

Death, you're the little gimp who sits on IRC all day having your little nerdy conversations, and whenever you come onto the boards you only spout some meaningless sh1t, that doesn't get anyone anywhere. At least my shouting got us some fukkin answers.

Quote : "your old news"
    I'm old news? Anyone who has been around for any length of time remembers yourself and ObiWan and all the other little twats, running around pulling each others plonkers and spewing your adolescent sh1te.

This is going completely off the topic. Ive made my point. Its being sorted. Thanks.

Go slag each other off in another thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement