Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl where are you??

• 22-01-2004 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭

hi all,
    was just wondering if anyone out there had some info about when ntl might make it to other areas of dublin, i called them and got vague rants but nothing in any way specific. i would choose ntl as my prefered provider for broadband, so i want to avoid signing up for iol or eircom only to find ntl get there sheet together two months later. i'm in dublin 8 by the way.
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by tammy
    was just wondering if anyone out there had some info about when ntl might make it to other areas of dublin, i called them and got vague rants but nothing in any way specific. i would choose ntl as my prefered provider for broadband, so i want to avoid signing up for iol or eircom only to find ntl get there sheet together two months later. i'm in dublin 8 by the way.
    I think there are lots of people in your position, tammy, who would like to go with NTL if it was available, and would even wait a few months if they could get a form commitment from NTL. But if anyone in NTL knows for definite what's going on, they're not telling anyone else about it :(

NTL is such a sweet service. I know ppl who have it and they basicly download all day. Their caps are never enforced.

Don't count on them upgrading anymore of their lines any time soon the company was in a dire finacial situation over the past few years..

Originally posted by ronoc
    Don't count on them upgrading anymore of their lines any time soon the company was in a dire finacial situation over the past few years..
    They upgraded Kimmage and Crumlin last year. They've moved beyond their dire financial situation of recent years, but they're still not investing as much as they could, or should, if they hadn't screwed up so badly before.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

they're missing the boat at the moment with wireless and DSL takeup increasing and they only have a limited area to provide the service. Surely they can see the benefit of rolling it out quicker?

Originally posted by LFCFan
    they're missing the boat at the moment with wireless and DSL takeup increasing and they only have a limited area to provide the service. Surely they can see the benefit of rolling it out quicker?
    With line rental gone to €24.18 a month now, they would also have a major advantage if they can delivery telephony over cable - an offer of "broadband, telephony and cable TV" for say €65-€70/month would represent a saving of €15-€20/month to the end user, yet be a major source of guaranteed income for NTL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

we have that at the moment for €80 per month. it's not a package though and breaks down as €18 for analogue tv, €40 for 600k cable internet and €22 for two phone lines. (compare that to €48.36 for two eircom lines!)

Originally posted by carrotcake
    we have that at the moment for €80 per month. it's not a package though and breaks down as €18 for analogue tv, €40 for 600k cable internet and €22 for two phone lines. (compare that to €48.36 for two eircom lines!)
    But only in limited areas. That's the point I was making. This recent Line rental increase is yet another opportunity for NTL, if only they'd get their act together. Even at €80/month, it's a small saving. (€22 for two phone lines is only 50c cheaper than oreillycoms current line rental, because I don't want a second phone line - I want a cheaper first phone line).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

As someone has already said, NTL aren't exactly in top form financially, so they're not investing in cable internet for now.
    I don't know if they will, I mean they have feck all customers in Tallaght, Lucan or Clondalkin where their cable service is...

Originally posted by Ripwave
    But only in limited areas. That's the point I was making.
    i didn't miss your point, i'm letting you know what their current offerings are in two-way areas in case you didn't know. what with there being no mention of resedential telephony on their site

Originally posted by carrotcake
    i didn't miss your point, i'm letting you know what their current offerings are in two-way areas in case you didn't know. what with there being no mention of resedential telephony on their site
    Fair 'nuff. I'm not in an area where I can get NTL broadband, so I don't know what they can offer there. If they had their act together, they could have leveraged last weeks line rental to switch people over in areas where it is available (and maybe they did? I guess I wouldn't know, because they wouldn't be selling it in my area anyway, until after they had upgraded the cable).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

LFCfan - good point , well made.

In fairness I dont think ntl will say anything until there is something definate to say - they are not going to fall into the trap they fell into in the late 90's where they over promised and under delivered - that only makes things a lot worse.

Like all telcos though - they know exactly what is happening in the market and where there is money to be made.......

With regards to caps - as I said before - the cap is guideline really - if people abuse a good thing they will get a smack on the wrist but it will not apply for the majority of users - mainly because 1GB per day on average is realisitc!

Save a though for the unfortunate ntl people that dont live in an ntl area :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jwim1

NTL suck....

http://www.wibbler.com/archives/000434.php

I've had a similar experience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I LOVE that letter - makes me laugh every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jwim1

Isn't it just the best rant!?!? I love it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

NTL are in no position to compete with eircom in the access network. Their subscriber cabling is a disaster area---hanging over garden walls and falling off the eaves of houses! (Even worse than eircom)
    It's a miracle they can deliver TV with it let alone the triple play of
    Voice, Internet and TV.

They spent too much money buying the network and now they have no cash to invest in cabling .

So don't hold your breath for relief from this quarter!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Reyman
    NTL are in no position to compete with eircom in the access network. Their subscriber cabling is a disaster area---hanging over garden walls and falling off the eaves of houses! (Even worse than eircom)
    It's a miracle they can deliver TV with it let alone the triple play of

Voice, Internet and TV.

They spent too much money buying the network and now they have no cash to invest in cabling .

So don't hold your breath for relief from this quarter!

There are a lot of areas now though that are new and have new cable, underground and well capable of providing TV, Phone and Internet. I just don't understand their reluctance to just get the upgrade done and watch the money rolling in. Even if it's only a limited number of areas, surely they would make massive profits for those areas that could fund the upgrade for other areas. Someone mentioned that they have very few subscribers to the Internet service in the areas they provide it but you have to remember that they don't advertise the service and most of it is through word of mouth. Do you seriously think that if they came on the TV tomorrow selling TV, Internet and 2 phone lines for €80 a month that they wouldn't be inundated with requests??? I'd bite their arm off for a service like that, especially if it meant I could get rid of €ircon out of my life for good.

Too expensive! They need VoIP to deliver proper voice. It still doesn't work , QoS issues , and the cost of delivery is horrendous. Soft switches, CMTS's, MTA/Cable Modems you name it they're all needed. RoI zero!

Eircom have a piece of copper in your house and a €200 DSL termination at the exchange . They're laughing at the opposition , the regulator while they collect €600 p.a. from the customers!

Sorry folks forget NTL
    maybe in 5 years , who knows !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

NTL's broadband is great!! Glad I have it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

Same here - it took a few weeks to get it up and running but now it flies along (Could be the only one in the area with it - but its worth getting if its in your area.)
    If you have any problems - check with this website: http://www.chetnet.co.uk/

Run by some TS guys that work for NTL

Originally posted by Reyman
    They need VoIP to deliver proper voice. It still doesn't work
    it's been working for me for the last three years!

• Advertisement

Not VoIP Gents !--- you have voice over cable.

Spent technology --no future in it for NTL

is voice over cable not proper voice? :confused:

It's fine as voice goes. But VoIP is where NTL need to be - It would allow NTL to rollout a major voice network to all its customers.

Problem voice is not profitable any longer - can't justify the capital investment. So Eircom gets a clear run with cheap calls preventing any competition

aha :)

Advertisement