Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to get a web page designed?

Options
  • 22-01-2004 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Hi,

About how much does a professionaly designed web page cost including hosting? - just a rough estimete - for 3 or 4 pages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 daramunnis

It depends on a few things...

Firstly, what do you want in the four pages? Is there going to be codi ng for stuff like forums or forms? If not then I can do it very cheap ie. about €100. you probably wont find cheaper than that. I also do full graphic designs etc.

What is the website for?

A sample of stuff I've done would be here .

Hosting is payed for on a monthly or yearly basis. The cheapest in Ireland is a company called dxHost who do basic hosting (50Mb space and 750Mb bandwidth) for €2.50 a month. I do a lot of work for companies who are hosted with them. If you want to register a .com or similar it'll cost you €10 a year through dxHost too. If you do that, you can get unlimited email addresses like yourname@yourdomain.com for free. Which is quite nifty. Anyway...

Need anymore info check out dxHost.net or throw an email my direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Just so you know daramunnis pimping your hosting company to people on boards is not allowed.

It's not my hosting company. I'm a webdesigner, I do work for them. Getting work these days as a webdesigner is quite difficult. The more companys referring you to their clients the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Pimping yourself or your employer so openly is against rules.
    If you want to advertise I'm sure the admins can quote you prices etc.
    For once in my life I actually agree with sposs!!

They are not my employer. They refer me and I refer them. No exchange of cash at all. Stereo_steve was querying how much it costs to get a website built and hosted and i let him know... that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

i dont see anything wrong here anyway

Excactly. This guy is just annoyed because the company I mentioned are cheaper than his...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by stereo_steve
    Hi,

About how much does a professionaly designed web page cost including hosting? - just a rough estimete - for 3 or 4 pages.

This was answered. As far as I can see no harm is done. He asked a question and it was answered. Whats the biggie?

i think a lot of ppl on boards like having arguments

..and I only signed up today. Why does this always happen to me...

• Advertisement

me thinks that people find it easier to argue on the net than face to face for obvious reasons.if someone has a problem with me they should report it and let a mod check it out.i dont wanna f***ing hear bout it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

daramunnis: He asked about getting it done professionally.

stereo_steve: For a very simple brochureware site, the technical side of things would be minimal and most of your cost would be on a professional concept design, which alone can cost anything between €100 and €5,000 (but I'd suggest you aim for the €200 mark.

The HTML-ing (with nothing special added) of a 4 page site would come to about the same amount, I'd expect. As for the hosting, don't go for anything too cheap as cheap hosts are up and down more often than a ho's knickers.

So, as a ballpark I'd say €500 would be a good price to get it done professionally. If you want a cheap and nasty option instead, PM young Muppetunnis here instead.

I am a professional. I get payed for making websites. That makes me professional.
    Also, the way I work is a "no like, no pay" scheme. Basically, you tell me what you want, I'll put together some templates, show them, if you like it then I finsih building the site and you pay me for the pleasure. I don't charge much because I do quite a lot of websites and I don't need to charge much. I'm not advertising myself here by the way, I'm just making sure that this is understood...

Originally posted by daramunnis
    I am a professional. I get payed for making websites. That makes me professional.
    No it doesn't. I could convince someone that I was an investment broker and have them pay me to manage their money, but that would not make me a professional, it would make me a cowboy.

And just because someone pays you to do something doesn’t make you a professional either - it just makes them gullible.
    I don't charge much because I do quite a lot of websites and I don't need to charge much. I'm advertising myself here by the way, I'm just making sure that this is understood...
    You don't charge much because it's a nixer. Either as a student or as a sideline to the day job. No income tax, no VAT, no questions asked. Not professional.

Come back when your balls drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

..and I only signed up today. Why does this always happen to me...
    Obviously didn't take the time to lurk or to have a good read of the rules.
    the way I work is a "no like, no pay" scheme
    That would be the nixer way, not professional. Professionals ensure that designs are correctly specified in writing before commencing, allowing only for some limited redesign as in the real world professional designs should converge on the best solution quickly and work done is always paid for. If your client 'no like' then something has gone wrong and v early in the process.
    This guy is just annoyed because the company I mentioned are cheaper than his...
    monkeys/peanuts, bottomfeeders - 'nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iam

sorry, but I think nobody is replying the original question
    a list of prices for design and hosting should be here
    don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by Iam
    sorry, but I think nobody is replying the original question
    a list of prices for design and hosting should be here
    don't you think?
    There is a sticky at the top of the hosting board with links to a range of Irish and foreign hosting companies.
    Prices vary and change, and also some companies do both and would offer an all-inclusive package.
    The Corinthian provided an indication of costs in one of his earlier posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No such thing as a list of prices for design or hosting Iam, unless you want TC there to type up a list for every company in the known world.

The answer to the first post is: "How long is a piece of string?" TC has answered the question as best it can be answered.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    No it doesn't. I could convince someone that I was an investment broker and have them pay me to manage their money, but that would not make me a professional, it would make me a cowboy.

And just because someone pays you to do something doesn’t make you a professional either - it just makes them gullible.

You don't charge much because it's a nixer. Either as a student or as a sideline to the day job. No income tax, no VAT, no questions asked. Not professional.

Come back when your balls drop.

If you earn a living from a service you provide then you're a professional. That's what the word means, the only possible area of confusion where this is concerned is the 'for a living' bit which might exclude you if you don't rely on it solely for income. Another stand point is that earning any payment at all from your work entitles you to be called a professional, hence GAA players are not considered professionals.

Not sure why The Corinthian got all knickery-twisty with this seeing as the site provided as an example of work is prefectly acceptable. The only areas the designer seems to need to work on might be cross browser stability.

So to answer the question, you have two choices:

1) Go to a design house who will generally charge you huge amounts of money for essentially simple service (HTML pages, hosting and a nice looking design). The benefit is that you generally get what you want. Further site updates (no matter how trivial) also get charged at ridiculous prices considering the work involved. This isn't always the case but these companies have to survive somehow so they charge more.

2) Get a friend/freelancer to do it. Almost always costs LOTS less, end product is usually the same (unless the site is highly complex) and updates don't cost an arm and a leg. Again, this isn't always the case but is more often than not. There's absolutely no reason to assume the results would be either 'cheap' in the pejorative sence, or 'nasty' in any way.

If I ran a small company who wanted a basic site as a sort of online business card then I personally think I would be out of my mind to consider a design house. For something simple there's no need to pay those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Originally posted by chabsey
    1) Go to a design house who will generally charge you huge amounts of money for essentially simple service (HTML pages, hosting and a nice looking design).

You seem to be confusing Design with slapping a few graphics on a page.

http://www.designireland.ie/resources.asp?id=175

http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/webdav/servlet/XRM?Page/@id=6011&Session/@id=D_X1eYvG4QCqFYQwcqbtTe&Section/@id=1033

Its important to realise that while good design can do great things for the growth of a business, equally, bad design can have a devastating effect on it.

-Figment (freelance designer)
    http://www.spoiltchild.com

• Advertisement

Originally posted by chabsey
    If you earn a living from a service you provide then you're a professional. That's what the word means, the only possible area of confusion where this is concerned is the 'for a living' bit which might exclude you if you don't rely on it solely for income.
    Then as I suggested before I could convince someone that I was an investment broker and have them pay me to manage their money, but that would not make me a professional, it would make me a cowboy.

The original poster was looking for a professional Web site to be designed; common sense alone would indicate a site that was done above board by an individual or company that has the resources, experience and knowledge to do so. Not a nixer.

So in fairness, you’re kind of stretching the definition of the word professional. And while not all professionals are competent, you appear to be suggesting that if someone can convince you to part money for a service, then that must make them professional. I’m sorry, but it doesn’t work that way.
    Not sure why The Corinthian got all knickery-twisty with this seeing as the site provided as an example of work is prefectly acceptable. The only areas the designer seems to need to work on might be cross browser stability.
    Did he designer pay for the rights to use the images on the site? Was the design his or did he pinch it from another location? Is he insured for professional liability? Is he registered for tax purposes? What if the hosting (that he doesn’t even use himself, but recommends) goes down? And if you receive a solicitors letter six months later because of the images/content he pinched, who’s going to have to sort out the problem?
    2) Get a friend/freelancer to do it. Almost always costs LOTS less, end product is usually the same (unless the site is highly complex) and updates don't cost an arm and a leg. Again, this isn't always the case but is more often than not. There's absolutely no reason to assume the results would be either 'cheap' in the pejorative sence, or 'nasty' in any way.
    Many freelancers are quite professional - registered for tax/VAT, ensured and experienced. Many follow proper project managemnt techniques and frankly know what they’re doing.
    If I ran a small company who wanted a basic site as a sort of online business card then I personally think I would be out of my mind to consider a design house. For something simple there's no need to pay those prices.
    For a basic brochureware site, I’d tend to agree, but I’ve seen too many SME’s end up spending pounds because they wanted to save pennies. Additionally, as it’s been said before repeatedly, that the original poster specified a professional job - you’ll find that if you run a small company it helps if you listen to the client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Sid71

On the button Chabsey! Your some "FAST NEWBIE" LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Hello,

I posted the origional message, not sterio_steve. I used a computer in DIT and thought I was logged in as me, but it seems I wasn't. sterio_steve must have been using Boards before me. Sorry sterio_steve, who ever you are.

Anyway, thanks for your replys. The reason I asked is that I've been asked by someone to arrange to set up a web site and am going to do it myself. I just wasn't sure how much would be fair to charge them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by Mr. Flibble
    Hello,

I posted the origional message, not sterio_steve. I used a computer in DIT and thought I was logged in as me, but it seems I wasn't. sterio_steve must have been using Boards before me. Sorry sterio_steve, who ever you are.

Anyway, thanks for your replys. The reason I asked is that I've been asked by someone to arrange to set up a web site and am going to do it myself. I just wasn't sure how much would be fair to charge them.

Well maybe you should have told us straight up what was happening - as your post looked like you were looking to get web work done.

anyway well done on the can o' worms that was opened thanks to this thread :) and for also giving Corinthian something to rant about

Thats just what people looking for work wanted to see. I just asked for a price.

Originally posted by Mr. Flibble
    Student doing a nixer; €200 - €300. Don't claim to be a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Put together a few quick designs (at least 3 - people like a choice). Get feedback on the initial design and take on board their comments. Lock down the scope of the project. The different sections they want.

Put together an invoice.

List all the expenses you will incur, hosting, domain registration etc.

Then estimate the time involved setting it up, and make sure it works out a decent hourly rate for yourself. Present a breakdown of the invoice to them in that fashion.

Make sure they realise that anything beyond the initial sections you agreed on will incur extra charges.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by Figment
    You seem to be confusing Design with slapping a few graphics on a page.

God no. It is generally quite easy to spot a new designer when it comes to websites. They quite often like to slam everything on one big page, have some blinking text please with a double helping of midi music mixed with resizing graphics using HTML rather than photoshop. You know what I'm talking about.

If you're assuming I must be confusing design with 'slapping graphics on a page' due to my not criticising the submitted example of work then I think you're wrong. Of course he could have stolen the template but in terms of design I've seen far far worse.

Funnily enough I actually guessed correctly that the original poster was asking from the point of view of someone about to undertake the task himself and therefore wondering what price he should ask. Hence I figured that the someone who didn't know their pricing structure would probably only have taken on a small site of the kind that are commonly offered to 'your mate who knows computers'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

My Bad :)

Advertisement