Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an important notice... if i can say that

Options
  • 22-01-2004 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Okay just got an email telling me that from now on(well the 24th of january really), if i order a cd in from cd-wow i have to pay an additional 3 euro because i live in ireland it also includes the england.

But what i want to now is how is this fair does this mean if i buy a book from the states theyll be wanting al sorts of tax on it aswell, how can you be taxed because you live in a different country.

Does anyone no anyways around this besides the obvious like move to france.

Anyone.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MoStCool

CD-Wow settled out of court and agreed with the British IMRA type people to charge a surcharge for albums sold in Britain and Ireland. The reason is because when you buy from CD-Wow you are importing a CD from Hong-Kong....don't really know the legal wrangles but it's because they're not European manufactured CD's (even though they're the same Album's and artists). The people involved are afraid that CD-wow is undermining CD sales.

Its complete bull **** and I really do hope that all the greedy money hungry assholes involved die horribly.

Not sure yet if it'll affect purchases from cd-wow's hong kong site...I guess it must others wise it wouldn't make sense. As yet I haven't heard if it’ll affect Play.com which can be as cheap if not cheaper.

Hard to know what to do ...Personally I avoid ahopping in HMV, GOlden Disks, Tower etc..unless they have a good sale on and even then I would try to avoid giving them my money...but a good deal is hard to find so I don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

All in all it is ****...........what next? outlaw second-hand shops and car boot sales?
    Bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

What's wrong with Tower?
    I'm not being smart, I'm genuinely interested. :)
    xm

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Originally posted by memaeve
    What's wrong with Tower?
    I'm not being smart, I'm genuinely interested. :)
    xm

Tower is a complete rip-off most of the time. Online shopping is the only way to get value for your money in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ozone6280

Found this on the radiowaves Board -
    The post is from jdempsey

Play.com are excellent, and CD Wow aren't bad either.

Here's a top tip though - always check the prices on the other versions of CD Wow as they tend to be a few quid cheaper (and never ever buy from CDwow.ie!!).

e.g. Dido "Life For Rent" including free P&P to Ireland costs

€13.95 on www.cdwow.ie
    €11.52 on www.cdwow.co.uk, but only....
    €10.71 on www.cd-wow.com.hk !!

Don't be scared of ordering from the Honk Kong site, as your CD is more than likely going to ship from there anways!

Either way, it is going to be a massive saving on the rip off prices they are currently charging these days in stores like HMV, Virgin, Tower, Golden Discs etc.

http://www.radiowavesforum.com/rw/showthread.php?threadid=6097

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MoStCool

I included Tower with HMV et al because they're expensive...all record stores do deals and sales but I'm talking about average new realises. €22....It's only the rare album I would pay that for.

I've ordered from the CDwow Hong Kong site it is cheaper
    www.xe.com/ucc is a good currency converter to use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

IRMA launched an attack on CD Wow earlier this year in response to their concern on falling CD sales in this country. The arguement against CD Wow was circulated by e-mail and then reported in Hot Press was pathetic and some points defied believe. The really must think the Irish consumer is a complete and utter idiot!

There is one thing that will increase the sales of product through "bricks and mortar" record stores. Decrease the price. We are fed up paying rip-off prices. When you buy a CD from CD Wow the artist and record label are still getting their cut.

I would love to know where this extra €3 per unit is going! Straight into the expense account for your local major record company staff.

BTW Play.com and Amazon.com will be next. Cd Wow was the smaller fish and easier to take on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Cozpyro

Originally posted by ozone6280
    Found this on the radiowaves Board -

Don't be scared of ordering from the Honk Kong site, as your CD is more than likely going to ship from there anways!

http://www.radiowavesforum.com/rw/showthread.php?threadid=6097

Actually it probably won't.

The ruling give was that CD-Wow can no longer supplied CDs produced outside the EU to countriesinside the EU. Obviously CDs are produced at a much lower cost in Middle Eastern and Eastern countries. This is the major factor in their ability to supply cheap CDs.

European manufactured CDs are more expensive and as a result CD-Wow have passed this cost onto the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Play.com operate from Jersey, AFAIK. They are so cheap because Jersey is tax-free (makes ya realise just how much tax we have to pay!!). Therefore they probably won't be under the same sort of attack. Which hopefully means we can continue to buy cheap CD's from there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by BrianD
    There is one thing that will increase the sales of product through "bricks and mortar" record stores. Decrease the price. We are fed up paying rip-off prices. When you buy a CD from CD Wow the artist and record label are still getting their cut.

I would love to know where this extra €3 per unit is going! Straight into the expense account for your local major record company staff.

Exactly. I remember several years ago, in the airport at Birmingham there was a record store (cheaper than alot of the bigger stores), and was shocked at what I saw. There was a pile of CD's in their white carboard sleeves waiting to be sorted behind the shelf. I noticed one (NIN - Broken EP, which was actually what I was buying) had 2 stickers on the front, small grocery store style stickers. One said CP: 5.50, the other SP: 9.99. The CD was £9.99. No prizes for working out how much the store got for selling me the CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 robwDIT

cds from hmv australlia work out bout €13 each and delivery is jst €5 for every batch ordered. got pugwashes compilation for€15 or there abouts. thing is yer waitin bout 2 weeks or so. still cheap and hav a gud selection and can be ordered unlike ordering it here and payin €22 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

a useful reduction for anyone who buys from cdwow

www.cdwow.com/amex everything is £1 cheaper

www.cdwow.com/trustcard free vouchers.. only one per email addreess though

Advertisement