Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Email from phone? (vodafone server required?)

• 22-01-2004 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a 6610, bill-pay with Vodafone, now the phone has an option in the message menu to create e-mail, so fill in to/subject/mial body etc. but it seems to require an "E-mail server number".. is this a phone number supplied by vodafone or any ip address (with an open relay)? And if its the former do Vodafone offer this service at all? .. if not what other methods are there for sending mail via the phone?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

yeah i have this as well.im with o2.same question applies if anyone knows.i guess if i wasnt so lazy id ring o2.i used to work there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

for vodafone you just send a text in the format

mail whatever@wherever.com Bolloc*s to the Wellingtons.

send it to 51745

yeah o2 has that too but you need to know the email off by heart to enter it in the message.with these phones you save the email address with phone number so that you dont need to remember the email address.must be some email server number...maybe its just one of these functions on nokia that isnt supported by the networks yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by Kananga
    send it to 51745
    Is that at standard text rates or something more extortionate?

- Dave.

Originally posted by TmB
    Is that at standard text rates or something more extortionate?

- Dave.

nah its normal text rates.i see where your coming from.wouldnt want to get screwed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

cheers Kananga that worked grand.. just setup a few templates so I dont have to keep entering email addresses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

What's the phone number when sending an e-mail via SMS over O2's network?

used to have it but deleted it.as far as i remember it was an actual 086 that you sent the text to.send o2 an email customer.care@o2.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Vodafone do not support the email feature on Series 30/40 devices. Them being 6610, 7210, 7250, 3510i and 6310i. I dont think O2 do either, no sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by topgold
    What's the phone number when sending an e-mail via SMS over O2's network?

The number is 0866055506. Format is <e-mail address> <message> (no need for mail command as you do with Vodafone).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Can someone give me an update on the situation across all the networks as regards SMS -> email please. I'm setting up a community news site and need to have all 'reporters' submit updates via the simpest method possible, ie. text. But I want to receive it in my gmail.

The vodafone service still works as detailed above. What about the other networks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

trap4 wrote:
    Can someone give me an update on the situation across all the networks as regards SMS -> email please. I'm setting up a community news site and need to have all 'reporters' submit updates via the simpest method possible, ie. text. But I want to receive it in my gmail.

The vodafone service still works as detailed above. What about the other networks?
    The O86 number listed above works from O2 phones & Vodafone. I'll bet a fiver that it works from Meteor too.

But wouldn't the message length be a blocking issue for you? You won't get much news in 161 characters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Thanks RainyDay, that's good to hear.

Think more news snippets than indepth reports. Eg. local match results, club meeting times, mass times, school meeting schedules, etc, etc.

Advertisement