Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Import Duty question (sorry!) and missing USPS packages

Options
  • 22-01-2004 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

I know everyone is sick of seeing these, but this one is slightly different.

I purchased a CPU (€450) from the UK. CPU was damaged (by me) so I sent it to an American who fixes them. He did indeed fix it and then sent to back to me, via USPS Express Delivery. GLS have the contract for some USPS parcels and were meant to deliver it to me. Instead they sent it to Finland, Germany, Ireland then back to Germany and then the trail ends. Its now apparently lost somewhere, "perhaps in the Irish warehouse". Ill know by tomorrow. Delivery was meant to be within 4 days, its now three weeks later. The CPU has actaully devalued €200 in that time.

When speaking to them they told me several things that are causing me concern:

- As a "medium" value package I have to pay Import and Taxes on it. I would have thought as I purchased it in the EU and merely had service on it in the US I wouldnt have to pay such charges.

-The declared value was only marked as $100.. does this mean if I have to make a claim for the lost package Im limited to $100? Im not sure where or how that figure came about, I never discussed value with the American and he never asked.

- GLS said if missing and lost, Id have to make the claim with USPS, despite the fact that GLS lost the package (and mixed it up several times) here in Europe.

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    - As a "medium" value package I have to pay Import and Taxes on it. I would have thought as I purchased it in the EU and merely had service on it in the US I wouldnt have to pay such charges.
    See if you can get them to deliver it to Customs and Excise and you could then sort it out with C&E (bring your original receipt & corresponance - especially if it has the serial number on it - and correspondance with the repairer). You might try talking to Customs and Excise yourself.
    - The declared value was only marked as $100.. does this mean if I have to make a claim for the lost package Im limited to $100? Im not sure where or how that figure came about, I never discussed value with the American and he never asked.
    Did this figure come about from the repair cost? At most, I supect you should only have to pay VAT / Excise on the cost of the repair and handling / postage.
    GLS said if missing and lost, Id have to make the claim with USPS, despite the fact that GLS lost the package (and mixed it up several times) here in Europe.
    You have a contract with your American repairer, not with GLS, not with the USPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The repair cost is only €30 (which I havent paid yet, he wanted me to personally test it to assure satisfaction) plus shipping of €20. Why would I go back to the individual who shipped it to me when he did everything right and the shipper was at fault (by their own admission).

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why would I go back to the individual who shipped it to me when he did everything right and the shipper was at fault (by their own admission).
    Because he is the one with the contract (and the paperwork) with the USPS, not you. Legally it's called "privity of contract", i.e. a contract is between teh contracting parties, not people further down the line. I suspect the repairer was negligent to put $100 as the value, although suing him would be difficult. Did he put a value of $100 on it because that is the cost of it in the USA? If you can't get the original back, will he get you a replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hmm. I asked the shipper to send it via USPS Express (he was going to send it standard mail) and I also paid for the USPS shipping... doesnt that not mean I have the contract with USPS?

Also, since USPS have a contract with GLS and its GLS that lost it, shouldnt USPS and GLS sort it out between them?

Matt

Advertisement