Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf advice

Options
  • 22-01-2004 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I'm buying my first car soon. My aunt is selling her 00D Golf which has 20,000 Miles on the clock. What do you think of this car? I'm only 22 and I don't have a full license yet, so I can't really expect to get insured on something bigger than a 1400cc motor.

Is it easy to put new speakers and a cd player into Golfs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

as regards speakers and cd player its just as easy as any other car...if you know what you are doing.i would think that getting your aunts car may be a good idea.20000 miles aint bad and you prob know what kind of driver was she.im a big fan of the golfs myself.id say go for it.

maybe you could go into more detail bout the car so we can give better advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Green, three door, excellent condition, engine apparently is a little hesitant in 1st gear but my aunt is getting that fixed soon. What do you think this should be worth? CBG has lots of similiar Golfs for sale for around 12k...which seems like a huge amount for a 3(4) year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Golfs do have very good resale value. If you can do a good deal with your aunt take the car, as knowing the history of any motor is worth money too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

looked thru buy and sell and 11/12k seems to be the going rate.didnt expect it to be so much.maybe shopping around is in order here but then again you have the advantage of knowing the full history of the car.maybe you should get a qualified mechanic to check it out for you.slip him 30yoyo and he'll be happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Second hand golfs of this age are a bad deal unless you intend to re-sell them within 2 years. They hold their value better than almost any other car from new to 5 or 6 years but after that the age overcomes the snob value and the price drops sharply. Also there is a new model coming out this year which will devalue the current one a bit.

Otherwise they are a good car, shouldn't give much mechanical trouble especially with that low mileage.

A 1.4 engine will not give great performance in that size car, even still the insurance on a 22 year old with a provisional will be pretty steep. Get some quotes before you do anything else and compare them to a smaller car, no matter how good a car is if you can't afford the insurance it is just a very unoriginal piece of artwork on your driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I have a 1.9 diesel golf - and at 23 on a provisional my insurance was €3300 odd from Quinn Direct. That was significantly better than anyone else. I think a 1.4 petrol usually comes in around the same mark as the 1.9 diesel so that's probably the ball park for you if you buy your aunt's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My insurance will cost me €1650, 3rd party only of course. Luckily I've a friend who is high up in the insurance business.

I plan to keep this car until I get my full license, then I hope to buy a BMW 320 or 323.

Advertisement