Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New p.c. need advice.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Wow Huge ammount of info there...... couple of things....

Dont go near the ThermalTake watercooling or Sub Zero things there dreadfull, such a waste of money. Like Unkel said, the Zalman is a great choice.... other than that mabye a ThermalRight with your own choice of fan (also fantastic heatsinks).

Antec TruePower 480w is a great PSU , wont let you down and is pretty quiet for the power output. I would also mabye think about a Zalman or a fortron 400w - they output 450w+ and are very quiet (and cheaper) .

Case wise theres always the Sonata , silent (pretty much) comes with a good quality PSU 380w TP Antec).....

Also, Audigy2 is an overpriced POS if you ask me.

The Audigy2 is a brilliant sound card, i dont know what your basing that on........and there €90 - retail - here (in stock) if waiting is that big of a deal. Id buy it again in a second, very impressed TBH.
    the fans that come with it aren't exactly quiet

Erm fan controller would be a good idea then........ had the same problem with my Xaser II case.

Waiting to get 1 or 2 SATA quiet drives, atm have very loud WD SE 80GB so all fans are switched to full

Oh i hear you pain , WD 120gb myself.......... its killing me. Am about to order a Samsung SATA 160gb for some peace and quiet (along with a nice gfx card)....... i have everything silent cept for that. (guess ill have 200gb in my second system cause i cant put up with it in my main 1)

Thats about all i can remember........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,653 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Erm fan controller would be a good idea then........

The lanfire comes with fan controller unit where you can control all 4 case fans independently so this is already sorted. Have to admit the case fans are quiet, but not silent. Might use the resistor cables I mentioned
    Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Oh i hear you pain , WD 120gb myself.......... its killing me. Am about to order a Samsung SATA 160gb for some peace and quiet

Had WD 160GB as well but that one didn't even make half the noise of the 80GB. Where are you getting the Samsung?

The lanfire comes with fan controller unit where you can control all 4 case fans independently so this is already sorted. Have to admit the case fans are quiet, but not silent. Might use the resistor cables I mentioned

Yea its the same controller that comes with the Xaser cases (i think , L, M , H speed switch) ...... its just easy to forget or not bother with it when your building the system and just run the fans at full speed (which is loud).

Had WD 160GB as well but that one didn't even make half the noise of the 80GB. Where are you getting the Samsung?

Yea i have an 80gb WD in the second rig at the min so the 120gb will fit in nicely along with 5 case fans!! At the time i was buying i was oblivious to the noise issue, thought all the hard drives were relativly the same and went on a performance basis..... lol things have definetly changed.

Im getting the Samsung 160gb SATA 8mb cache from www.jes-computer.de for €116 , far cheaper than kompletts €137 (for a 160gb SATA) . The only thing is delivery is a little more - around €17. If you pay by credit card they charge a paypal fee (€5-8) .......... it still works out at a saving and they have loads of very nice products . Worth a look............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,653 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks COL_LOKI I know the site - have not ordered from them yet. Have you and if so how do you find them? How is delivery? Ever had to RMA something?

Remember from visiting the site a few months ago and comparing the prices with Komplett.ie that they were generally a good bit cheaper. In fact it's probably the only European site I have seen that was significantly cheaper than komplett.ie over the whole range of products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Sorry to bring this back again but i'm ordering tomorrow and just have to finalise a few things. What HD's should I get. I'm getting 2 s-ata 80gig's for a RAID setup. Want something thats quiet. Was thinking of the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB S-ATA. Are these drives quiet??

Unkel Which OCZ ram was that? Is it the most expensive one? There are 3 different types for each speed on shop4memory. Think I will go for the mid ddr4000.

Can anyone recomend a good DVD writer from komplett?

Thanks again.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the seagates are generally considered the quietest drives on the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Seagate Barracuda V (or IV) are the quietest they have 'SeaShield' (a metal plate on the underside of the HDD - it hurts performance a bit) the 7200.7 dont have them so they are a bit noisier about as noisy as the Samsung Spinpoints, which are also very good HDD, either of the two types will be good.

Thanks COL_LOKI I know the site - have not ordered from them yet. Have you and if so how do you find them? How is delivery? Ever had to RMA something?

Missed this post while i was looking through before. Im only after ordering from then about 2 days ago so im not 100% yet. Will keep you posted on how fast the delivery is and hopefully i wont need any RMA's..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by BloodBath

Unkel Which OCZ ram was that? Is it the most expensive one? There are 3 different types for each speed on shop4memory. Think I will go for the mid ddr4000.

BloodBath

OCZ pc4000 tested here

Hope this info helps :)

Advertisement