Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cd ripper a good one?

Options
  • 22-01-2004 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a good cd ripping tool i know theres tonnes out there but i need something that is tried and tested other than audiocataylst thanks a lot guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're not in a hurry, Audiograbber is great ... its becoming freeware on February 9th.

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

thing is i need it soon cause ive borrowed 3 of my friends cds and im sure hell want them back soon thanks anyway any more suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

How about Music Match...

http://www.musicmatch.com/download/free/?OS=pc&MODE=input&DID=&OEM=MMD

I use this one to rip...

i tried music match but cant find the ripping features in it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Audio galaxy great if your in a hurry you won't notice the difference between it and something like:

EAC which is probably the best out there but very slow.

audiogalaxy i thought u used that for downloading songs not ripping?

kewl i was looking for audiocatalyst since i reloaded my os

so which of these is the best then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

EAC - Exact Audio Copy is the best ripper then I use bladeEnc or Lame at 160 vbr to encode to mp3s

thanx guys

im getting a lot of jitter though with cdex 150 on one of the cds and its ****ing up the track anything i can do to help that

im getting a lot of jitter though with cdex 150 on one of the cds and its ****ing up the track anything i can do to help that
    Yea dump cdex and get Audio Catalyst or Exact Audio Copy EAC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

there's a good comparison here . It seems Lame is the best quality codec. This is used in dbpoweramp which is a great ripping program.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I use CDEx, it's the most convenient. There's also Exact Audio copy if you're totally paranoid about quality/have scratched cds. But you have to do the compression manually with this.

LAME is the best MP3 codec. Use --alt-preset standard for most archiving.

You may also want to consider switching from MP3 to Vorbis (www.vorbis.com). Supported by practically all software now, including the popular Winamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

I usually use FreeRIP MP3, it's downloads the song titles if your connected to the net when ripping a CD which is useful.It's Freeware

EAC uses LAME and it gets the song titles. its great if you have a P4 speced machine otherwise go for Audio Caatalyst or some other thing that doesn't use as much resources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by ARM
    i tried music match but cant find the ripping features in it :(
    Press the Record button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 n00bee_cracker

realplayer rips real fast and the encoding speed can be controlled i thinks there are 3 different encoding methods on it.
    nero 6 has a good one too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Doing a reinstall atm and just deciding on what to put back on the laptop.

I had been using Winamp 5 for ripping which is fine but I'm gonna move back to winamp 2.92 cos I think its more stable, but no ripping facilities.

Any recommendations...
    Usual stuff like ID3 tagging, VBR etc are needed.

Muchos Gracias

Actually any thoughts on CDEX?
    http://www.cdex.n3.net/

THink I used that at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

exactaudiocopy - cant beat it; has tagging facilities and can rip to various formats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

EAC can rip to literally ANY format out there. It also has a choice between high quality error free ripping, and high speed error prone ripping. 95% of the programs out there only offer the high speed error prone ripping, such as music match, CDEX, realplayer etc.

For compression, Lame is the best choice if you want to go MP3, but that can be sorted later. For ripping i would always go with EAC. It can get the album titles off FreeDB (as can 99% of ripping programs nowadays), so you should have no problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Just thought I'd add my own little cd ripping method in case it's off any use to anyone.

Rip the CD to my hard drive using ISO Buster. Personaly I don't see the point in ripping and encoding in one, specialy if you've got more than one CD to rip.
    I encode all my music into ogg vorbis as the quality is fantastic. This is a simple matter of drag and drop with OggDropXP. (you can get that here if you want)
    Finally I tag the files using MP3 Book Helper. Can't recommend this program enough. Best tagger program I ever came across. Specially handy if your on a dial up like me cause it can get the tags of the albums you've ripped already automatically off freedb so you can wait till your online after 6 :D

Get it here

I know this probably sounds like a lot of work to all of ye but it sounds more complicated than it is:) I also tend to go through bursts of ripping CD's where I'd be ripping half a dozen CD's at once and this is by far the best method I've found for that. Anyway, just thought I'd share my method in case it's of any use to anyone.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was using MusicMatch up until recently, but then I found this fella. Great little app.

adam

Rip the CD to my hard drive using ISO Buster. Personaly I don't see the point in ripping and encoding in one, specialy if you've got more than one CD to rip.
    Not really designed for ripping music (if i remember correctly, try ripping a scratched Music CD with it, and the results won't be as good as EAC in Secure mode. Iso buster is designed for "Data recovery from CD and DVD."

EAC has "burst" mode, which is just as fast as every other ripping program, and just as good qualitywise, and it has "Secure" mode, which is better than any other program (that i know of) and guarentees good results even on badly scratched cd's.

Its up to you, slow but good quality (on mildly/heavily scratched cd's): EAC (Secure mode)

or

fast and not that great on scratched cd's: everything else and EAC (Burst mode)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by silverside
    exactaudiocopy - cant beat it; has tagging facilities and can rip to various formats

I'm trying this now. I have downloaded a FULL DB from Freedb.oerg for offline/loacl use. EAC seems to want one exact .dat file to import the whole thing.

Anyone know how to do this as it dont seem to be working!?

• Advertisement

I'm trying this now. I have downloaded a FULL DB from Freedb.oerg for offline/loacl use. EAC seems to want one exact .dat file to import the whole thing.
    No need to do that :p that is only if you want to import specific files.

What you want to do is to go to EAC>FreeDB/Database Options
    Then go to the "local freedb" tab, and choose the base directory where you unzipped the files to.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this will work well. When i tried using a local database several years ago, the support wasn't great. Since there are so many albums, some "unique" album ID's are duplicated, in fact, practically all of them are duplicated by now, several times. So it makes it hard for an offline database to find the right song. That problem may have been sorted by now. I dont know.

Advertisement