Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell

Options
  • 22-01-2004 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Havn't bought a Dell computer for three years and just order one online on Tuesday morning for my uncle and didn't expect that everything arrived today!!:eek: Only two days!!!

I remember after I've placed the order it said that an invoice will be sent in two or three days and the computer will be arrived in 9 working days. Am I just lucky or is it how fast they deliver PC now? :confused: :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Same with me. Bought 2 laptops off them in last 2 years and they told me 3-4 weeks and they both arived well ahead of schedule.

I think its only before Crimbo that they ever have a backlog.

David

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Normal delivery is 7-10 working days, but the pc only takes a few minutes to assemble. The rest of the time is to allow for supply issues with parts shortages & delivery problems etc. So if everything goes to paln they will overdevliver on their promise, and ahev another satisfied customer... Also, they ship things out much faster at the end of the month, and especially at the end of the quarter (now). Some orders will ship in less that 12 hours after an order has been placed, however on the other hand some customers can just be really unlucky and it can take weeks and weeks... At Christmas it can go either way, very fast,or if you have problems (payment problems, parts issue etc) it can take ages. Every year there at least a few kids that do not get their computers on christmas morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Dell have refined their manufacturing practices so much that in some factories systems can be assembled in as little as 2 hours. I've heard that apparently the ordering process is now so efficient parts are literally picked off the lorries at EMF for they need for the day.

The only reason there are ever delays are because of parts shortages. And again, these are detailed on the website these days.

Its just a shame that the aftercare service has deteriorated so much while the manufacturing process has improved - this is because Dell views support and aftercare purely as a cost rather than part of the package you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

If only they could charge realistic prices for delivery. I live next door to the assemly plant in Limerick but they charge me about 60 euro delivery. If I ordered from Outer Mongolia it would cost the same.

Bah!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dell have refined their manufacturing practices so much that in some factories systems can be assembled in as little as 2 hours.
    I could assemple a computer in 2 hours! If I told you it was 3 minutes would you believe me? I found it hard to believe but its true...
    I've heard that apparently the ordering process is now so efficient parts are literally picked off the lorries at EMF for they need for the day.
    They don't carry any stock, they get constant deliveryies throughout the day/night. If a systems is going to UK/Europe, the box is built in limerick, and then joined with the monitosr/accessoies in a hub, and deliveryed complete from there.

Its just a shame that the aftercare service has deteriorated so much while the manufacturing process has improved - this is because Dell views support and aftercare purely as a cost rather than part of the package you pay for.
    True. Its going to be their downfall if they don't do somehting about it... They are working on it though. Moving to India shrinks their costs to less that 20% of that in Ireland for Tech Support and Customer Care. They have teething problems but I think it will get better...
    If only they could charge realistic prices for delivery. I live next door to the assemly plant in Limerick but they charge me about 60 euro delivery. If I ordered from Outer Mongolia it would cost the same.
    They make so little on the PC's they haev to make it up elsewhere... Delivery, Services, Finance, that is what keeps them afloat...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I ordered mine on the 1st of Jan. Got it on the 4th Jan. SHOCKED!! and it was highly customised. A friend here at work ordered before me and was still waiting in the middle of the month!! he cancelled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Zascar
    True. Its going to be their downfall if they don't do somehting about it... They are working on it though. Moving to India shrinks their costs to less that 20% of that in Ireland for Tech Support and Customer Care.

Their server support has gone to hell, you need to fight tooth and nail to get to second line support nowadays.

M

Advertisement