Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Funny site at AXA office

Options
  • 22-01-2004 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Went to get quotes on insurance. In front of me were 3 Asian people trying to get insurance. The dude on the other side of the counter was explaining something - holding on to the one dudes license. After a few mins, I realised what was going on.

The license was presumed to be fake, i saw a bit of it and looked real enough. Not sure what the deal was - they left a few mins later.

Back to the fake licenses thing:

How difficult is it to fake?
    Whats first tell tale sign of a fake?

I have seen mine and a friends, they arent even the same shade of pink.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anything is easy to fake if you have the right printing equipment.

A few people were arrested recently for having a load of blank driver's licences and passports, and the printing equipment to go with it.
    So for ordinary joes, they're not easy to fake, although with an expensive scanner/printer/software combo, you could make a pretty good job of it.

The question isn't how easy they are to fake, it's how easy it is to obtain fakes. Very easy, apparently.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They may not necessarily have been fakes - the customer services dude may have made a mistake. Something similar happened both myself & my wife (separatley but at the same time in a bank in Macon in France - they thought our (valid) passports were fake. They even raised an eyebrow when we said they were from Ireland as if they didnt believe us that there was such a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Irish Driving licences are easy enough to fake the print but the problem that arises is the licence has a watermark a metal strip and the plastic sheet that covers it has a desigh built onto it that goes over the picture.
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Im willing to guess that I could manage to get one 95% perfect - with tools ready to me.

Where is the strip? I have seen the watermark which I think could be semi easy to copy. The plastic is a laminate - and the marks over the photo are scannable therefore printable.

As Chaz says, the plastic is just laminate, and there's no metal strip.

My one looks fake. The text is misaligned, and the laminate is messed up. I trimmed loads of excess laminate from the edges - obviously whoever did mine was hungover, as the laminate wasn't lined up with the licence, so some edges have no laminate and others had laminate stick out. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Irish licenses are a bloody disgrace anyway. Big dopey and horrible flimsy things that die at the first sign of moisture. Bring on the plastic credit card sized licenses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Is there a chance that Ireland will goto a credit card type?

Seamus - send me your 'dealers' contact? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I dunno.. I thought this was supposed to happen within the last year?!? It would be a welcome change from having to always remember to have my big pink square of paper in my pocket though.

Originally posted by Chaz
    Is there a chance that Ireland will goto a credit card type?

Seamus - send me your 'dealers' contact? :D
    Heh, in case I didn't make it clear, mine is in fact genuine and above board, but my brother had a fake one while he was in the US (so they'd serve him see?) and it looks miles better than my real one.

Hopefully I'll be having it replaced soon to add another category onto it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

The metal strip is on the middle section put it up to the light and you will see a dark line going through the paper and its not printed i took it out of my provisional licence just to be sure
    Pete.

• Advertisement
Advertisement