Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird

Options
  • 23-01-2004 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

just like to say something about this

it's great

when i use to use internet explorer and run ad aware and spybot at end of the day i would get about 20-30 tracking cookies

but

with firebird this doesn't happen and i feel odd running spyware scans and nothing pops up????

definite swap i'll never go back to IE

slight problem with boards homepage though the menu bar is slightly lower than it should be but it's no biggie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yep, superb browser. 0.8 is just around the corner as well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

when's it out the roadmap on their site says december 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

They have had a few bugs with it and also the download manager in the 0.8 release but its expected soon.

And welcoem to the Firebird ways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

I agree it is a great browser.

Does anyone know if its possible to have links open in a new tab insted of a new window, ie. links on these boards?

right click link and then open link in new tab

• Advertisement

lol btw i just found that out

another great feature me taskbar won't be as clogged as before

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

yeah you can either hold control and click the link or just push the mousewheel in, very handy

also get firebird from this guy http://seb.mozdev.org its an installer rather than zip

what's the differences between the installer and the zip?

is sunbird a different program or is it intergraded into firebird?

Firebird = browser
    Thunderbird = mail client
    Sunbird = calender tool

All great apps, the installer is a smaller download, and well is an installer :D handy for when you updgrade, creates shortcuts etc.

is sunbird a separate program or is it a extension of firebird

• Advertisement

Its a seperate program

Its like the core parts taken from "Mozilla" and each made into their own program, if you get me

Like thunderbird(email client) and sunbird(calendar app) are replacements for MS Outlook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Tis a great browser, don't think I'd use any others again. Converted a few folk too.

1 think about the "zilla" groups I wish they'd release chatzilla as a seperate program and not just with Mozilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Excellent browser. Started using it after someone here recomened it and will never go back, fast too:D

Thunderbird is good aswell

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So far the only problems I get are
    - no plugins installed (but I can install them - and I hates flash)
    - my intenet connetion is a little erattic and if the page don't open up I get a blank instead of a blank with the URL at the top (ie. I can't just click on reload)
    - it hangs every so often close it and reopen and away it goes again, except I've got about 10-16 tabs open adn it's a pain to put them back in again.

But at 0.7 it beats IE6 SP X patch N
    can't wait for 0.8

Can you imagine how stable 1.0 will be !

[edit] I really like the install / deinstall routines.
    install - expand zip file to a folder and create shortcut.
    uninstall - delete shortcut.

compared to having to reboot n times (including patches and finishing previous setups) for IE and then you are stuck with it ...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was using Firebird and Thunderbird for ages but I switched back to plain old Mozilla (1.6 atm) as its easier and more efficent to have a all in-one client for all my web usage.

In WinXP I have not seen Mozilla or Firebird crash yet on either of my machines yet I've had IE hang just by using windows update (urrgggh!)

I must donate some money to Mozilla once I sort out my finances...
    :)

Yeah i must admit the lack of preinstalled plugins is annoying.

BTW is there a way to integrate thunderbird into firebird?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Originally posted by Henry_14
    Excellent browser. Started using it after someone here recomened it and will never go back, fast too:D

Thunderbird is good aswell

How exactly do you judge is a browser is 'fast' or otherwise?. Surely the speed of the computer, speed of your connection etc etc are all factors in this?. I'm not disagreeing with the above post, just curious to know what criteria are used.

Thanks!

Id judge it by how quick it takes to render a page, which MF does very quickly. Not just that but its simplicty and reliabilty compared to IE is a massive bonus

two words
    "tabbed" "browsing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Cabaal
    In WinXP I have not seen Mozilla or Firebird crash yet on either of my machines yet I've had IE hang just by using windows update (urrgggh!)
    :)
    lucky:(
    i've had 1 crash with firebird 0.7, and a couple with whatever version i was using before that.
    the most annoying thing about firebird crashing is, it seems to clear your cache... fairly infuriating if you're on dial up...

thats not a patch on the ammount of times that ie has crashed though.

the firebird crashes are understandable, this install of xp is badly bloated & has been installed for nearly 70 weeks...

Originally posted by ArthurG
    How exactly do you judge is a browser is 'fast' or otherwise?. Surely the speed of the computer, speed of your connection etc etc are all factors in this?. I'm not disagreeing with the above post, just curious to know what criteria are used.

Thanks!

Ive broadband and i find it faster as it uses less resources than IE. It appers to me to load pages faster than IE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

:D yes it is the dogs boll0x, if any of you know Regular Expressions get Adblock here it blocks ALL ads - including flash, quicktime, etc. Let's say the ads come from a website with the name doubleclick in it somewhere; just add *doubleclick* to adblock and it stops all content from a web site with that word in it from displaying */ads/* is another catch all term. You must remember to enable quick collapse in the adblock options so that big gaps(from blocked ads) are closed up by Firebird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Firebird IS faster, as firebird can open up to 16 simultaneous connections to a webstite (unlike IE's 4). Which means it can load pages faster.

edit: it may be 8 connections that firebird can open.

yeh it's faster espically it uses the cache a lot better than IE.

for my clan site which is basic www.gamebashers.net will load up in a nano second from cache where with IE with the site in cache take 5-7 seconds.

using 0.7 firebird and havn't had it crash yet.

don't like thunderbird though it doesn't have all the features of Outlook but it's a definate outlook express beater.

any1 know where does firebird keep it's cache???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

well I've decided to give this firebird browser a trial. Installed fine and got it looking quite like what IE looked like.

Couple things I've noticed:

Its not faster than IE, pretty much the same IMO :dunno:

There's no 'Full Screen' button :mad:

The inbuilt Google bar is a very nice add on :cool:

Automatic Plug in (java) download is much more user fridendly than IE's :cool:

I like the way pictures load in this browser :cool:

I'll give it a few days anyway, but I think I'll go back to IE in the end

Originally posted by ando
    Its not faster than IE, pretty much the same IMO :dunno:

There's no 'Full Screen' button :mad:

The inbuilt Google bar is a very nice add on :cool:

Automatic Plug in (java) download is much more user fridendly than IE's :cool:

I like the way pictures load in this browser :cool:

I'll give it a few days anyway, but I think I'll go back to IE in the end

wait til u build up the cache it's good then it's noticeably faster then

full screen (well kind of) smack F11 and you'll see.

picture loading is class cos you know where they are and if they are loading or not.

google bar is class. adding your other search engines is cool too but google is king.

now i just realised this but if you click a link with a press of the scroll wheel it opens in a little tabby thingy under links bar. very handy to keep taskbar clean for multiple site browsing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

about:config in the address bar gives you access to a huge amount of configuration options type 'connections' in the bar below the address bar and there you can change the max number of connections; 'pipeli' will show up the option to enable pipelining to speed up browsing dont set firstrequest to true(some old servers out there)!!.

about:cache for the cache, ando use tabs you wont go back to IE,

[Adblock]
    *ads.osdn*
    *doubleclick*
    *googlesyndication*
    *netcomm.spinbox.*
    *resellerratings*
    *theinquirer.net/images/ads/*
    *tribalfusion*
    */ads/*
    *guide2poker*
    *msads*
    *atdmt*
    *s0b.bluestreak*
    *edge.ru4*
    *us.yimg.com/a/*
    *adlog*
    *netaway*
    *advertising*
    *rad.msn*
    *modchipsource*
    *atwola*
    *adimage*

this here disappears all ads for me :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

well,

Yeah its quite good. I really like the way you can click the middle button on the mouse, and the browser opens a tab within the main window (in IE, the best I could do was right click on link, 'open in new window'). Its handy when coming to forums like this, and you want to keep everything related within the one window.

I haven't noticed any speed difference between it and IE.

Love the built in anti-pop up capability. I had this in IE too, but it was a third party program that I was using.

Overall, its a good match for IE. There's pro's and con's for each one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I think I might have a go at Firebird. Is it better than Mozilla?

• Advertisement

It uses the same rendering engine(Gecko) as Moz does but is graphically much lighter then Moz and also much more pleasing to the eye then ugly Moz(it's one great fault), it cannot start up with windows so the first time you start it, it will take a couple of seconds. Over all I find it much more usuable and friendly then Moz. The best way to see if you like it is by trying it yourself:D.

Advertisement