Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I love firebird and have found it considerable faster.

I have tested it on a page i made and it loaded it faster then IE. Also i find it more stable then IE.

Hopefully this program will keep getting better and people will realise there is a option besides IE for browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

being using it now for 3/4 weeks and it has crashed once! :O (yes once.) whereas IE was AT LEAST once a day.

only annoying thing is that it clears the cache when it crashes.

any1 know where it stores the cache i can't seem to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\SOMETHINGRANDOM.slt\Cache

Is were the cache is stored.....in fact everything is stored there, if you ever have probs with Firebird just cut and paste the Phoenix dir somewhere else and Firebird will create a new profile. Phoenix was it's old name from when the project first started and they haven't changed the name of the folder yet(I've been using this baby since Phoenix 0.2).

By the way the App folder is a hidden folder so just show all files.

cheers i found it

is there a work offline feature on firebird?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Two main reasons I use Firebird are:
    1) Tabbed browsing to keep related pages in one window. I'd often have two or three windows open in the taskbar, each with a couple of pages tabbed across the top.
    2) Highlighting text on a web page, right-clicking and selecting "web search for " whatever you highlighted. It opens a new window with a google search for that text.

It beat IE hands down imho, it just makes browsing so much easier.

Not that I'm aware - since I use BB everywhere I use the net that doesn't really bother me......but I suppose that someone on a 56k modem would need work offline??(I never used this feature - what's the point?). For anyone who is new to Firebird I suggest this Tips & Tricks web page. Any modifications that are suggested on the user.js file can be done by typing in about:config in the address bar - save yourself the bother of having to edit the a file, you can do it straight from the browser. PcP I afto agree with the fact that Firebird makes the net faster I can be going through lots of different site and discussions all in one window:D; it's just soooo handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by PcP
    2) Highlighting text on a web page, right-clicking and selecting "web search for " whatever you highlighted. It opens a new window with a google search for that text.

Thanks didn't know that.
    Learn something new everyday with firebird.

Ste-.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Started using it. Seems ok, don't like the download window but just probably not used to it. A lot less popups though. A few pages just don't look right their layout seems slightly out of joint but no real problem yet.

a lot less pop up's indeed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

and mouse gestures :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Oh yes mouse gestures, when I've finished using Firebird, I sometimes find myself 'attempting' to use mouse gestures in Windows, they make browsing so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Mouse gestures? Like spell casting in Black and White?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yep, only much easier.

you can set up your most commony used commands to just one direction (you have to hold a designated button while you enter the command)
    hold mouse 2 & move to the left = back etc etc

damn handy

i'm having a few problems with firebird, and these have been only happening in the last day or so

it wont let me save any changes i make to the options.
    i get this error message.
    "Failed to save the preferences file. Any preference changes will be lost at the end of this session."

i get another error saying that

your browser's security module has failed. make sure there is no read write protrections on your mozilla folder etc...

i check to see if the folder is read only and it was and i turned it off but it automatically goes back to read only what can i do?

it alsos clears the cache and if i add a new link to the link bar it's gone once i reboot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Just in case any of yous is wonderin about the slow Acrobat pdf files in firebird, its because acrobat loads lots of unessesary plugins.

Theres a workaround for Acrobat Ver 6 that speeds it up

Find the plug_ins folder and rename it plug_ins_disabled
    Create a new folder named plug_ins
    Copy the following files from "plug_ins_disabled" to "plug_ins": EWH32.api, printme.api, and search.api

Advertisement