Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3A v117 on IGN?

Options
  • 04-05-2000 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

I've seen that there's a new non-backwardly compatible point release for Q3A - The release says:
    This patch fixes a fairly serious security flaw in Quake 3 Arena. Internet Security Systems identified the flaw and notified us with reproduction details as well as an overview of the exploit. The basic nature of the exploit is that malicious server operators could overwrite any file on a client system. This type of thing is always possible with DLL based mods ( which is why we strongly recommend VM based mods ) but with this exploit, it was possible within the VM system.

To help facilitate a rapid transition to the new codebase we have also bumped the network protocol version. This means 1.17 is not network compatibile with any prior version.

The install also includes all 3 PK3 files, because the original "pak1.pk3" was not included in the final 1.16 release for Mac and Win32 builds. This will address some pure server connection issues. You will have to have all 3 pak files present to connect to a pure server.

In addition to this security fix, we have also fixed the following:

- Callvote to single player game type causes the server to crash.
    - Crash in bot initialization on some systems

Now I'm not saying we're malicious server admins, but do you guys want the patch right now?

Its means a 8.7 meg download for win32 munkies, and a 9.7 meg download for you linux freaks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Id say wait a two or 3 days and in the meantime tell everyone in every possible way to upgrade and get it on a local server and post links to it everywere..

Such as Barrysworld..

ftp://ftp.barrysworld.com/quake3/patches/win32/Q3PointRelease_117.exe

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 04-05-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Hah, I'll just get it on my mag subscription on tuesday cool.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

no you'll get it on your mag subscription next month smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Bigfoot was saying that the Barrysworld league servers will be updated over the next few days, so yes please.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Hiyah.

I just saw this post. Regi, if you wouldnt mind, could you bring this version on-line as soon as you can. I think we need to make this change sooner than later.

Here, on updates. I have some classic maps which would be class on-line. DM2, DM3, DM4 and DM6 from the qw era converted nicely for Q3. They play excellent and I'd love to get a war or a duel on them sometime. Wanna give them ago soon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Lads, before you go putting extra maps on the server, try to organise them into a single download and put it up where everyone can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Big L

yer put them on the server.... and put on some classic quake2 ones aswell, there's never enough The Edge imho smile.gif

Advertisement