Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe Acrobat - Graphics extraction

• 23-01-2004 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a good software package which will allow clean extraction of graphic diagrams from documents created in Adobe Acrobat ? Ideally in the originally created format e.g. Visio

I can do it in the normal way i.e. graphics select and copy /paste but the quality is poor!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Are you using just the reader or the full version of adobe? Although I think acrobat is a lossy format and you might not get back the images at a decent quality.

You could try screengrabbing them but it's not gonna be in the right file format :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

It depends how the PDF has been created, are the graphics bitmap or vector?

You need the full version of Acrobat to save the graphics as EPS, Tiff or Jpeg, or you can use Illustrator/Photoshop to open the PDF but it will be only page per page.

There's no way to get back the Visio files from the PDF...
    You need to ask for the source files!

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I have the full version of adobe!

My query arises from a need to use graphics diagrams posted on the Internet in Adobe form for reports i'm doing . I know that it's possible to extract them i.e. to bypass the Adobe protection and get the clean images.

But how i'm not sure!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adobe make a LOT of money based on their ability to protect .pdf documents. And people are prepared to pay a lot of money to protect their Intellectual Property.

If you are allowed to print the doc you could print it to pdf writer and try to extract from the generated pdf.

Note: You could ask the people who posted the diagrams if the mind you using them - if the report if for academic / commercial / official use then there are implications to using copyrighted material in it.

Advertisement