Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRB consider cutting number of penalty offenses

• 23-01-2004 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/3422703.stm

The number of penalties in Test matches could be cut under new International Rugby Board proposals.

Leading coaches and administrators agree that the penalty is playing too big a part in Tests.

They are recommending penalties should only be awarded for foul play while technical offences should be penalised by a free-kick.

However, the earliest date any proposals could be ratified by the IRB council is November.

Major news there!

I'm supportive of this move, it has been getting a little ridiculous lately with kickers dominating the game overly much. I think one of the ex-French internationals remarked about picking a world cup team - "Pick your best 3 kickers and the 12 guys on your squad least likely to give away penalties" - cynical but true.

Also, I give away a lot of penalties in the maul so this will be good for me :)

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

yeah that works for me...
    but there would have to be a clear line between technical offenses designed to hamper attacking play. These aren't always obvious in their intent. But result in the same outcome as foul play- fast ball being hampered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DougalMcGuire

I predict some horrible pressure on ref's in future if this comes to fruition- but anything that can stop his royal kickiness Sir Jonny is fine by me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Still another 11 months to wait if is going to be used

Advertisement