Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB and two PCs

• 23-01-2004 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I have an IOL Broadband connection and two PCs. Both PCs have Ethernet network cards. The ADSL modem is plugged into my own computer but my brother wishes to access the Internet aswell.

Is it possible to give him access by simply connecting the two Ethernet cards with a cable, and setting up some kind of network, or is a router absolutely necessary?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ClevererThanYou
    I have an IOL Broadband connection and two PCs. Both PCs have Ethernet network cards. The ADSL modem is plugged into my own computer but my brother wishes to access the Internet aswell.

Is it possible to give him access by simply connecting the two Ethernet cards with a cable, and setting up some kind of network, or is a router absolutely necessary?
    Yes.

(Frustrated by unhelpful answers? Tell us how the DSL modem is connected to your PC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ClevererThanYou

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Yes.

(Frustrated by unhelpful answers? Tell us how the DSL modem is connected to your PC).

My apologies. The ADSL modem is connected via USB. It is the standard Zyxel modem that IOL supplies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cheapest solution is to just buy a crossover cable and connect the 2 pc's over ethernet , and use microsolf internet connection sharing to share the usb modem

for better proformance get a dsl router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ClevererThanYou

Thanks for the replies, dudes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ClevererThanYou
    The ADSL modem is connected via USB. It is the standard Zyxel modem that IOL supplies.
    IOL are now providing a dual USB/Ethernet Zyxel modem, but if you got broadband much before Christmas, then, yes, you're stuck with using ICS, unless you can get the brother to cough up about €135.

Would be right in saying if u have the usb job then ur computer gets the "real" ip address rather than the router geting the external ip and the computer gettin the private one?
    That would make life a bit easier from a server/gaming point of view since u wouldn't have to mess with nat.

Advertisement