Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Card Vs Hold em

Options
  • 23-01-2004 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I've been playing 5 card and Hold em once a week for the past month or so. Hold em on wednesday (house game) and 5 card on a Friday (local GAA club). It's great fun switching between the two. Does anyone else play the two on a regular basis? How do you find going from one to the other? Apart from the game itself have you come across anything thats different between the two? The art of bluffing is diffferent i think. Picking up no cards in 5 card and goin over the top with nothing is a huge adrenaline rush!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I only play 5 card with my family at christmas, it just doesn't have all the facets of play that hold'em has.
    Theres less betting in 5 card, and with a choice of 7 cards for each person, and the fact that there's 5 community cards, hold'em lets you size each player up a bit better when you might have an idea what they *could* have.

In saying that I've never played a cash game of 5 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

have never really played 5 card, im lazy, couldnt be bothered to learn the difference haha, i play hold em all the time, really really enjoy that
    hold'em lets you size each player up a bit better when you might have an idea what they *could* have.

i think thats one of the main reasons why im not really bothered bout playing 5 card

also having read many scientific journals, hold em has been proved to be the more addictive game lol

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

I have to agree with this point as well. There is alot more *gambling* involved in 5 card whereas in Hold em if you know the quality of your opponent and a bit about their habits it turns out that there is very little *gambling* involved.

Some say poker is complete luck, complete BS if you ask me. More like:

Hold em: 20% Luck 80% Skill
    5 Card: 50% Luck 50% Skill

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by dapope
    Hold em: 20% Luck 80% Skill
    5 Card: 50% Luck 50% Skill

id say more 70% 30% with 5 Card

If you having a bad run of cards, then no matter how skilled you are at the
    game you will struggle..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

I play dealers choice, basically if you deal you pick which variation to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

What variations do you play axel? I say some guys play a game called piduki (i think) one night. It's a mad game, the worst hand seems to win. Does anyone know how it works? I couldn't find anything on the web about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

I just switch between 5 card and hold em and i'm a bit partial to a game of 45, black jack or 110

Advertisement