Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How good is the Radeon 9600 XT?

• 23-01-2004 7:18pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im thinking of buying a Radeon 9600 XT,220 euros or so on Komplett.
    First i need to know how much better the 9600 Xt is compared to my existing GF4 ti 4200?
    Obviously the Radeon 9800 pro or XT would be card of choice but i find it hard to justify spending 500 + on a gfx card.
    The Radeon 9600 XT seems a good choice.
    What you guys think?

My current spec is P4 2.8 800 FSB,512 Muschkin DDR 3200,GF 4 ti 4200.
    Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Firstly the sapphire one on komplett is only 189 euro.

It's the best budget graphics card on the market and with a free copy of half life 2 you really can't go wrong for that money.

BloodBath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

howdy if your going for a card in this price range get this instead

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=120648&p=&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&cks=PRL

its a 5900LX bascially a chopped down version of the 5900 however its massively overclockable and it beats the 9600XT hands down at stock, a couple of boards members have picked em up

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135685

check it out anyway

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea that 5900 is a very good overclocker, alot of people getting 5900ultra-5950ultra from her.

Id personally go with the 9800pro on komplett for €266 , its a power color one and it is the best card on the market (cept for the 9800xt). It will destroy the 9600xt and it will easily out perform a heavily overclocked 5900 in DX9 games.....

If you can stretch to €266 then will be a big boost to your system (which looks pretty sweet btw :) )........

I was just about to get a 9800se AIW and try a softmod except were out of stock, had a look at the komplett site and saw the cheap 9800pro, im prob gonna get that myself..... and i know data has one and is getting great performance from his :p .

The 9800pro Link - Komplett , it somes with tomb raider and not the HL2 voucher which is the only down side...... performance is wicked all the same!!

[edit] I have the Ti4200 myself at the min and its a pretty good card, falls down in the fact that it doesent have DX9 compatability and struggles with AA or AF on...... other than that its a very decent card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

www.radeon-shop.de

does 9800SE AIW guaranteed to SoftMod...

I got mine from overclocker.co.uk..

And I got lucky, overclocks to 9800XT speeds...

Yea but you have to pay extra for a Remote ?? Whats that about thats suppose to come in the package if you get a Herc card.

The 9800se AIW (herc) were only €215 from jes-computer.de and i think there disscontinued which sucks so bad. For a few euro less id still go with the powercolor 9800pro , it comes with games aswell. If it came with a decent remote then it would be nice......

I would chance a Herc 9800se AIW, especially for around €210-230 .............i personally think they are a more consistent softmodder and it would be worth the chance. If i cant find a decnet priced one then im getting a 9800pro and a tv card (at a later date).......

[edit] Ps very nice on the XT speeds btw, herc card?? How do you find it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I am using the Omega Drivers at the momet...

I was using Wizzard's hacked drivers, but I am getting a bit more oomph out of the Omegas...

Just waiting for the Omega 4.1s to be released...

I have had all manner of problems with DirectX 9.0b and the TV Tuner though...

Managed to get it working....but took a bit of effort...Damn Microsoft...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks a lot guys.
    Col Loki i just ordered the power color 9800 pro :).
    Fantastic deal imo.
    Komplett dont have them instock but are expecting more on 29th of this month and expected shipping date of 4 Feb.
    Anyone else any experience of similar issue having to wait for stock and expected shipping date etc? How did it workout for you guys?
    Again Thanks Loki ,one question though,how is this version so cheap ? does it under perform,doubtful i know but i need to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

ah didn't know the radeon was down so much in price otherwise would have recommended it myself, quality card have it in my machine i paid about €320 a few months back and it was still a bargain good luck with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by Dcully
    Thanks a lot guys.
    Col Loki i just ordered the power color 9800 pro :).
    Fantastic deal imo.
    Komplett dont have them instock but are expecting more on 29th of this month and expected shipping date of 4 Feb.
    Anyone else any experience of similar issue having to wait for stock and expected shipping date etc? How did it workout for you guys?
    Again Thanks Loki ,one question though,how is this version so cheap ? does it under perform,doubtful i know but i need to ask?

I had to wait for my TerraTec Boomslang 2100 to come into stock but it did before the expected date and was dispatched asap to me :D

Nope it is a good performer , simular to all the 9800pro's out there :) .
    The sapphire version will probably come down in price a little when it comes into stock to compete. For the price theres nothing that will perform even close to it. You could overclock the nuts out of a 9600xt and it still souldnt be as fast.

On the stock thing, komplete are normally good enough when it comes to power color cards from what ive seen....... but then again it is komplett lol, have been dodgy with the dates over the last while. Its such a popular product i think they will be pushing to get it in ASAP. (think they must have 60 or so on pre-order in only about a week)

• Advertisement
Advertisement