Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pen is mightier than the sword. Discuss

• 23-01-2004 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Does anyone have a few good ideas for an essay entitled
    "the pen is mightier than the sword"

If so please post below as it would be a great help

Cheers

Ned

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I did an essay on "Happiness was a good bank account" and I found it fun. I mean I took the opposing view but I was making it as if i comprehended it it the literal sense. I wrote about 4 pages on "unless there is a bank account specifically named 'happiness' and this bank account was deemed good in some sense, I don't see what you are saying" and as my English was very good and the points I made were very...logical (or outrageously blatant). The fact is that I had fun writing the essay. And I got an A1 on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

lol Kold

I miss Leaving Cert essays in a way. The titles are ambiguous. Using that title, it could be a factual piece, using what you know to explain why they pen is mighter than the sword (or indeed the opposite). It could also be a fictional piece, about love, war, sex, in fact anything the hell you want to write about.

If you want to be really adventurous, it could also be a review piece on a movie, play, poem or song.

As Kold says, have fun writing essays. Don't write what you think the teacher may like, or something that sounds vaguely like something you read before. Using other people's ideas is fine. Using other people's phrases is fine. There's kind of a 'click' factor for writing essays. For me, if I came up with an idea, that was it. If the general gist of the first 6 lines came with that idea, and they made me smile, that's all I needed.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

it's all bull,

ever been hit with a pen? times it by 500000 and thats how much a sword hit hurts,

( i'm not doing another leaving cert students homework, they might get the last place in the corse i want to do (deaf studies) thus denying me, the wonderfull agent smith a chance to wake up in a pile of vomit and complaining why the person who used to do my washing (mum i think she was called) isnt here anymore)

only kidding, do a google or try www.sparknotes.com

Advertisement