Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC , need help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ive been reading this thread for the past day or two, some posters have taken the time to reply to your incoherrent drivel, the least you could do is type properly,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

yes bazH i realise that alot of people have , and i appreciated it alot and , i will try and speak properly now :) didnt realise annoied anyone sorry.

is the amd2500 btr to get then a p42.6 wiv HT?
    and is the 9800xt far supuerior to the 9600xt cuz there is a significant price difference.

atm ive got :
    case >> Globalwin GAT-001 v.2 Aluminium Case (CA-008-GL)
    moniter >> 21" good quaility one
    memory >> 512 EL DDR RAM PC4200 DDR533 OCZ) 533Mhz
    gfx >> 9800xt 256mb
    sound card >> Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,653 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by T-b0n3
    yes bazH i realise that alot of people have , and i appreciated it alot and , i will try and speak properly now :)

Grand
    didnt realise annoied anyone sorry.

Ann what?
    is the amd2500 btr to get then a p42.6 wiv HT?

Are you really trying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,653 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd love to get a P42 - we might have to wait until the year 2087 though and I'll be dead by then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by bazH
    makes you sound like a right fag

regardless of his methods to communicate that is uncalled for

T-b0n3, did you go to www.overclockers.co.uk and get em to spec ya a system?
    i'm off to do it now for ya anyway

:D

you may also want to consider keeping your current monitor and putting the money into other hardware parts instead.

• Advertisement

cheers data , i looked and didnt see any one else doing it and didnt know what forum to post the thread in.

hows this sound?
    Abit IC7
    pentium4 2.6 with Hyper threading
    9800 XT
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
    Globalwin GAT-001 v.2 Aluminium Case (CA-008-GL)
    2x 256Mb EL DDR RAM PC4200 DDR533 OCZ 533Mhz, 184 pins, 64 bit, CAS2.5, 4-4-7
    21" moniter
    120gb maxtor

adam

i lashed it in general hardware but haven't got any replies on it yet

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?threadid=17171366

you can keep an eye on it here

you above spec looks good imo, check out the coolermaster black widow case on overclockers there very popular nice case also

cheers data , appriciated mate

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

makes you sound like a right fag

Ive been reading this thread for the past day or two, some posters have taken the time to reply to your incoherrent drivel, the least you could do is type properly,

bazH to be honest the most drivel seems to be comming from your direction, theres absolutly no need for that.
    Your 2 comments are unhelpfull and frankly unwanted, it wouldnt be as bad if you phrased it differently or had actually given some advise (ie actually had a reason for complaning) .

If he shortens his words so what, we know what hes trying to say........ it can be confusing enough when your spending alot of money and with alot of suggestions flying around its hard to choose.

Fair play to you T-b0n3 for taking that so well, most of us arent that cranky around here.

Loki

cheers loki , thanks for supported.

anyways , was looking at ati 9800 on komplett.
    the card below is only 266euro
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=120304&p=&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&cks=SER

while this card is 447euro , and the only difference being "all in wonder" in the name? big preformance difference?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=120329&p=&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&cks=SER

whats ur opinons on best preformance/cost ratio 9800 card?

ta for all the help so far :D
    adam

• Advertisement

the all in wonder (aiw) doesn't give you any extra performance but extra features like a tv tuner and stuff like that. i don't think its worth the extra €180

i have that powercolor card and its a great card for a great price, not sure if its worth paying the extra for the XT version don't think you get the performance increase for the amount of money you'll put into it, probably better with a gig of ram instead of a half gig

price performance ratio of the radeon 9800 pro for that price is great i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Here's my 2 cents...

Athlon64 is a great performer, unfortunately the software support for 64-bit applications is pretty non-existent at the moment, and the motherboards/chipsets are at a very early stage where they lack advanced features and stability. It needs to mature.

P4 has been around for a long time, motherboards and chipsets have matured and software support has been around for ages. Don't count on Hyperthreading bringing you any benefits, it's improves performance in cases where no performance boost is needed (office etc). In games, it makes absolutely no difference, and in some cases it's faster with Hyperthreading turned off. In general, it's a marketing trick more than anything else.

If you're stuck for cash, you can go with an nForce2/Athlon XP combo, it's great value for money.

If you wanna go down the pentium way, don't buy a P4C. Wait another two weeks, Prescott's are coming out in february, with new instructions and twice the cache size of the current Pentium4. They will cost exactly the same, have 800 Mhz bus and support Hyperthreading.

In terms of overclocking, it's a thing of personal preference. Some people just want out-of-the-box solution, and will buy a Dell. Nothing wrong with that. Others prefer to tweak their system to get the most out of it, and yes, generally speaking, you're never happy. If you're somewhere in the middle, then you'll probably be very happy that you got the performance of a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 from a measly 2.6 GHz chip, and just leave it at that until you upgrade.

Memory. For Pentium4's it actually makes more sense (even though most people won't say it, or don't know about it) to run a slower memory with faster timings. The performance difference isn't great, but in general a faster memory with slower timings costs more - so that's a good reason not to fall for the marketing stories.

Motherboard recommendations you got are great. If you don't need all the bells and whisles (RAID, firewire etc), you can go for IC7 instead of IC7-G or IC7-MAX3. It costs less, and uses the same chipset, just doesn't come with all the extras.

And don't forget a good power supply. Even if you bought the best components out there you might have no end of problems if you put a poor power supply at the heart of your system. It's worth spending another 50 yoyo's to get a decent power supply that can keep the beast satisfied.

You got some good choices there, and I'm sure you'll be really happy with your new rig!

k cheers netman , think ill have to stick wiv 512ram for the moment , aint got the cash for 1gb.

wont be buying comp that soon(bout a month) , so i can wait and see that prescott cpu.

adam

hmm not often i give my advice(without charging)

here goes, best advice is write down what you want your new pc to do, what your budget is, what you may upgrade in the future

Prolly the best bang for buck at the moment is nForce2/Athlon combo. Look for a 2500+(barton) chip, twin this with a good quality Heatsink and fan as well as at least pc3200 Ram(400mhz), look for cl values(the lower the better).

If you see some component you like, stick it into google along with "review". Always a good idea to go with a well supported motherboard, check out the manufacturers website. The money saved on the mobo/chip can goto a good Graphics card, again if you`re on a budget look for a Radeon 9600 at least(note the ram speed, not the ram amount)

k cheers bazH ill have a look now

adam

system posted check the o/c thread

cheers m8

adam

k after looking at that post on overclockers i think ive got a decent system :E
    tell me what you think and what i should/need to change and if its okay for overclocking.
    I think all of the items are on overclockers.

Case >> Globalwin GAT-001 v.2 Aluminium Case (CA-008-GL) - E135

Sound Card >> Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 PCI soundcard w/1394,THX, DD EX6.1, Bulk - E75

GFX Card >> PowerColor Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB - Retail (GX-006-PC) - E300

Mother Board >> Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard (MB-050-AS)
    - E117

CPU >> AMD Athlon "Barton" XP2800+ 333FSB (Socket A) CPU - Retail (CP-041-AM) - E136

Memory >> TwinMOS 512MB (2x256MB) DDR PC3200 Dual Channel Kit (MY-006-TM) - E85

Hard Drive >> Samsung SP1213C 120GB - OEM (HD-011-SA) - E100

Cooler >> Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite (Socket A) (HS-007-CM) - E20

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) (AC-000-AC) - E10

Total >> E978
    probs going to keep current 17" dell moniter

can ne one suggest cheap + quiet psu to suit rig?

cheers again adam ( tried to speak propper english :D )

Nice system, i have the 80gb version of that HDD, very quiet. Im thinking for a nice little system you might consider a Shuttle PC

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Shuttle_102.html

I have the Shuttle Spacewalker XPC SN45G, as do a few other boards people. Im very pleased with it and its performance.

eh you got a psu in that case?

also note he probably took his prices form www.overclockers.co.uk that powercolor card is cheaper on komplett. a number of people would recommend the abit nf7-s as as the best nforce 2 motherboard

usually i'd suggest a 2500+ and overclock it but you mentioned ya don't want to overclock also the multis are locked the new 2500+ so you might be better with a higher multi on the 2800+ and try to overclock that to 200mhz fsb

col_loki will let ya know whats best here

• Advertisement

yea id love to have a shuttle :D
    the motherboard in that be compatible with the rest of my components?
    any bad points in having a shuttle , i heard the fatter gfx cards dont fit in or something?( pls correct me if im worng )

k ponit taken data ( that board is cheaper too :D )

so the amd2500+ and that 3200 memory or
    a amd2800+ and 4000 memory?

p.s. id like that shuttle :) i need to change any thing if i wanted to use it?

adam

with the amd you don't need pc4000 memory as your fsb is only at 166 your only need pc2700 memory, i would by good pc3200 memory though if you ever plan on overclocking it

My Shuttle at the moment is

Athlon 2500+ >> athlon 3200+ speeds
    Samsung 80gb HDD
    Philips CDRW
    Iomega ZIP Internel
    Radeon 9600
    256MB pc3200 ram

It only has one pci slot(and AGP), but unless you have some existing pic device theres no need to use it as ity has 4 USB and 2 Firewire as well as Optical In/Out and 6ch Audio

Lovely and quiet too, seriuosly i dont see the point of having a huge case unless you have a few HDD`s and CD`s, or need it for performance

k cheers , think im going to go for that shuttle to be honest.
    it come with PSU? if not wut u suggest?

and get the amd 2500+ and sum good 3200 ram?

adam

good 3200 ram

ocz 3200 platinium
    corsair 3200LL XMS
    mushkin 3200 level 2

k cheers data ,
    only noticed but that shuttle only have one CD rom ?:(
    was planning on have 2

adam

you'll just need a dvd/cd-rw combo or better yet a dvd-rw check out the stuff from lite-on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

or if you plan on copying tons of stuff and need on-the-fly copy, you can always get an external usb2.0 enclosure and put a dvd or cd drive in it. :)

yea thats wut i though , cheers.
    by the way , do i get a psu with the shuttle? i guess not but just to be sure and if not what you suggest? (aint want ti be paying loads but want good quailty / quiet one)
    also , thanks for all the help so far , appreciated alot :D

adam

• Advertisement

Yes the Shuttle has a PSU built in(around 200w), its more than enought to power all your stuff(somehow). The shuttle is slightly large than a toaster

Advertisement