Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC , need help

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah seems in order, get the 160gb drive you won't regard the extra space and its the same price as the 120gb one was three months ago :) just to note seagate don't use molex connectors for there s-ata drives so you need one of these while i remember it

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=115476&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=9&GrpID=10&cks=ACC

also just check your heatsink fits in the shuttle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,653 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    get good pc3200 or pc3500 ram that is all you need with the amd

Yep don't need more on amd
    both of these are quality sticks and will set you back about €150, i'd recommend just buying one stick of 512mb then you can upgrade with another stick of 512 if you need to later

Agree, you don't need matched pairs (expensive) for amd unless you are going to clock well over 400FSB. Any of the top brands of memory should be great. €150 is not that much for a 512MB stick of ram that usually comes with a lifetime warrantee as well. If you're finnicky, check reviews on the web
    don't know how many ram slots are on a shuttle tbh

Normally 2 iirc so you should be grand with 2*512MB for a good while :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

is 1 PCI and 1 APG enough?

and is that onboard sound good? or should i still get audiy2?

cheers , adam

well motherboards only come with 1agp i think so you'll be fine there thats your radeon 9800 sorted. the question is what do you use the pci for, well the motherboard has onboard lan so you don't need that if you have broadband you can connect it through your usb or ethernet so thats sorted, if you need you shuttle to get online mainly through dialup you'll need an external modem or use the pci for an internal one, or you used the pci for a sound card. depends on your situation your call.

i have about 5 pci slots i use two one for soundcard one for modem, i now have broadband so don't even need the modem installed so i could get away with onc pci slot, if you want a tv card though you may be in trouble

k cheers :D

any thing i need or should know? before i order / build?
    the pinoner grand dvd burner i heard?

cheers for all help :D
    adam

• Advertisement

don't think just make sure you get that s-ata power cable for the seagate drive and yeah i've heard good things about the pioneer burner also but i don't know much about dvd burners tbh, good luck with it anyway, and my advice just go order it you could spend the next week looking into parts and stuff for it but you'll be happy with what you get and post up some pics when its finished

data

will do data , cheers mate u been great help , along with the others.

bets are ill be on here very soon with some problem or another :D speak to you then

bye bye , adam :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by netman
    Well...

Intel will launch the new Pentium 4 processors based on the Prescott core (extra instructions and twice the cache size) in february. Then sometime between april and june they will launch new chipsets and new motherboards supporting higher spec processors.

The new boards are already coming out. DFI Lanparty 875B has been tested with a Prescott and it works fine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

quick question about shuttle boxes.

Read one or two reviews about shuttle boxes that said that putting a high end gfx card such as 9800 pro into a shuttle box was a bad idea due to the amount of heat generated by the card in such a small confined case.

Low end passively cooled cards were recommended instead i.e. radeon 9600 non-pro.

Anybody out there with a 9800 pro etc in a shuttle box?
    Whats internal temps does it run at with high end gfx card in it?

just something small to consider.

k cheers , any can verryify that? or disagrre with it?
    or will it matter ?

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement