Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card..

• 24-01-2004 7:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭

I don't normally do much gaming on my home pc..but hey..it's cheaper than going to the pub, and I need to conserve some money as I will be moving into apartment I bought in Santry in April/May..
    does this card seem like a reasonable compromise?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000E2Y8M/026-3512893-2844419

note I am not interested in spending 200e+ on a graphics card..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

As with most things electronic ... you gets what you pays for ... if you budget close to 150 euros you'll get a FAR FAR better graphics card ... the 5200 is a "MX" class card (like the geforce 2 mx or gf4 mx ... just a bit better than both of those) ... and that twat who reviewed the card twice on amazon is talking through his arse, if you can find any new game that will play good and look nice (you are paying for the eye candy in most current games), on that card in a year I'll eat my hat, which is incidentally made of cake and even has a cup of tea on top of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

get a 5900lx :)

i had a 5200fx their not bad but like that eejit (just had to get that joke in) above said in a year or less you wont play any modern games on it X2 the threat today runs at sub 12 fps on it
    I'll eat my hat, which is incidentally made of cake and even has a cup of tea on top of it.

can i have one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Like the guys said, dont for the love of god get that Fx5200. Its a dreadfull performer. For around €126 go to www.komplett.ie and look at the 9600pro PowerColor, for that price i dont think you will find a better performer.
    get a 5900lx

Good card, good overclocker but €200+ and the 9800pro is only €266 at the min (5900lx is 240 on komplett)!! The poor old Nvidia's are getting hammered in DX9 games at the min, personally i think ATI are the way to go until Nvidia sort themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Like the guys said, dont for the love of god get that Fx5200. Its a dreadfull performer. For around €126 go to www.komplett.ie and look at the 9600pro PowerColor, for that price i dont think you will find a better performer.

thanks for that-
    there seems to be

PowerColor Radeon 9600 256MB DDR, 128bit
    - AGP, ATI 9600, DVI-I, TV-Out, Retail 8
    stocked 124.63

and

PowerColor Radeon 9600 PRO EZ 128MB
    - AGP, ATI 9600PRO, DVI-I, TV-Out, Retail 3
    stocked 129.47

is there any particular reason you would go for the second over the first?

jd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the pro version is faster also 256mb ram on gfx card is overkill.
    and for an extra 5 euros it's worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,653 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jd

if you are into gaming and have a very restricted budget, there is only one card that you should consider and it is indeed the powercolor 9600 PRO - about €125 on komplett.ie. Don't think for a second that the non-pro 256 MB version is better - it isn't

I have the very card (powercolor 9600 pro) and it is excellent value for money and it overclocks very well for a card that cheap. I'm scoring 13000 in 3DMark2001SE with this card which ain't bad, but it's nowhere near top of the range either. I am not really a gamer though. If you are a serious gamer, you might want to increase your budget a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I should add here that I score 12.k in 3D mark 2001 with a 2500xp @ 190fsb and a GF4ti4200. The latter can be had for under €100 2nd hand and as long as your not running a DX9 game ( at the moment thats nearly all of them) and are not using above 1024x768 with AA turned on the GF4ti4200 is quite quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by unkel
    jd

if you are into gaming and have a very restricted budget, ................... If you are a serious gamer, you might want to increase your budget a bit
    The thing is I'm not a serious gamer..but I have ordered the powercolor 9600 PRO from komplett anyways..:)
    jd

Advertisement