Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onspeed

• 24-01-2004 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

has anyone seen this? http://www.onspeed.com/
    i saw it on a mag when i was in town yesterday.. looked it up.. what do you guys think?
    too good to be true?...
    andone know anyone who has it?
    the reason m asking is that eircom wont give me BB cos our street's phone lines are cack.. i have had connections as low a 6k... the line is shared with 19 other houses :(
    so if this is cosher i might be able to get a 56k connection haha when other might get bb speeds from it :\

later
    Macker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Seems just like a piece of compression software. If you ever check your dial up status you'll prob notice a line for compression. Your side is always much bigger than the server side. I'm thinking they merly have a proxy that compresses the information highly before sending it to you.
    mobile operators charge you per MB downloaded, your data phone bill will be cut by 5-10 times
    Thats what leading me to think compression software. I'd say if you line is as bad as 6k connections (not dl's) then your pretty much screwed. 6k connection would be unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

its cack.. haha... i just downloaded a trial and it just compresses images, but the speen is still bad, probably just my crap connection.. 6k is unusable.. tell me about it!!! its unbelievably poxy.. i cant do anything on the net! im trying to run 3 sites too, so as you can imagine its a bit annoying when eircom wont do anything baout our line cos
    "as long as we can make phone calls its good enough"

that has to be the worst sales pitch ive ever heard!

ahh well, might look into wireless

later
    Macker

Your extremely lucky if you get wireless. Coverage is VERY limited. I dunno how you even post on 6k connection. It'd be like hit reply go have your dinner come back and it's half done loading. I hope u get something sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Macker Eire
    eircom wont give me BB cos our street's phone lines are cack.. i have had connections as low a 6k... the line is shared with 19 other houses :(
    so if this is cosher i might be able to get a 56k connection haha when other might get bb speeds from it :\

Wow , a 20 way pairgain. I thought the max they could get on óne line'was 16 lines so you are some kinda record in my experience.

When was this beast installed (it is a c.3x3 ft pole mounted box powered from the exchange over telephone wire usually ) , these have been illegal for about 2 years now.

Is it a house in an old (pre 1960) area.

M

the house is pretty old, were renting from my girlfriends brother, he's in America, the house would be one of the original houses first built in waterford city,(fireplaces in ever room and all that) haha the phone line is a joke, the electricity is worse, haha when the next door neighbours turn on the vacum cleaner our light dim.. same with the electric shower :( the junction is at the top of the orad.. i had a right mind to strap a heap of fireworks to it on new years and blow it up hehehe but seeing as your telling me its an anteque i might rip it down and flog in on Ebay hahaha (jokin)

im connected now at about 28k, cos it verys like.. 6k is just the worst i can remember it... probably depends if betty up the road if on the phone to biddy down the end of the road haha

later
    Macker

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Muck
    these have been illegal for about 2 years now.

That never occured to me. Yeah pair gains of that kinda number are illegal and theres your hope. I'm sure voice quality is extremely bad anyway but find the info on the pairgains. It's on the boards to the offical doc. Cant find a link rite now. Then have another go at eircom about it

thats the problem.. voice qual is good :( its just internet is slow, so they said there is nothing they could do for us.. so i put loads of selotape over the reciever and called again.. line sounded like sh1t hehe so they sent an engineer.. it was him that pointed out the line was shared with like 18 or 19 houses on the road... :(

- i might be able to snap a pic of the junction tomorrow or something.. would you be able to identify if it is an illegal pairgain?

later
    Macker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Would you not get ISDN. It would be a massive improvement over 56K for an extra tenner a month. You will also get two lines. I assume you cannot get BB.

If the line is shared with that many house I really doubt that isdn would be possible. I doubt you'd be able get another line if you asked either. Connecting at 28k aint so bad. At least that's usable (if you dont get bored to easy:p )
    In regards the pairgain, I'm not even sure how they go about putting that many houses on the same line. Do take pics tho and you'll see what peeps can say soon enough

we were thinking about isdn, but we would have to get our own psdn line installed at a cost of 130 euro's ...

so we just kinda gave up.. its so easy for people around the corner, but this is the street Technology forgot :(

later
    Macker

• Advertisement

frankly if eircom are splitting the line you already have that much I seriously doubt they'd put the isdn in. They'd prob agree and take your money. Prob be worth it for the look on the engineers face who gets sent out to do the work. There's prob no cooper there at all so I'm guessing unless the pairgain is setup illegally then your pretty much screwed and doomed to a slow existance on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Macker Eire
    so i put loads of selotape over the reciever and called again.. line sounded like sh1t hehe so they sent an engineer..

Must remember that one :D

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    Must remember that one :D

yep davey... one of my prouder achievements :):):)

Advertisement