Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons/The Irish Sun in Scam Collaboration

Options
  • 24-01-2004 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Free Prime Suspect 3 hour DVD with this paper today. Too good to be true?
    .... Well actually yes indeed.
    Why, because The Sun only sent a couple of boxes to each Easons shop in Ireland.
    And Easons are the only shops that the DVD's were sent to. On a (Get this) one token one DVD offer. What a crock of ****.:D
    So for example in Limerick, if you came in to claim your DVD after 11:00 there was none left. So Its The Mirror and O'Mahonys Book Store for me in the future.
    ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I have no idea why you'd ever want to buy either of the Sun or Mirror. Two pages of Irish 'news' and then the rest is filled with sensationalist, English crap about celebs getting their boobs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yeah, old woman and young girl murderer, I have to agree - buying The Sun is a rip anyway.

Cop on carrolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by carrolls
    So for example in Limerick, if you came in to claim your DVD after 11:00 there was none left. So Its The Mirror and O'Mahonys Book Store for me in the future.
    ;)
    Not that O'Mahony's in Limerick city sell papers anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    I have no idea why you'd ever want to buy either of the Sun or Mirror. Two pages of Irish 'news' and then the rest is filled with sensationalist, English crap about celebs getting their boobs out.
    I only bought it for the free DVD, honestly.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

It does not matter why he bought it,,his point is still valid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Koyaanisqatsi

I think if "Free DVD" or "Free CD" appears on the front of a newspaper
    and the actual DVD is only available to the first 50 customers, it is a scam. False advertising.
    And it seems from the report that Easons are party to the scam too.:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Never liked the Sun newspaper, for years the never had ANYTHING good to say about Ireland now there selling there ****e paper hear, what a waste of a Tree
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Actually.

The newsagent is legally obliged to provide you with the 'full' product you paid for, or reimburse you.

Consumer law is that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Never liked the Sun newspaper, for years the never had ANYTHING good to say about Ireland now there selling there ****e paper hear, what a waste of a Tree
    :mad:
    The Sun is a business, doing what you'd expect of it. The sad part is that people are actually buying it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

The S*n is boycotted by a lot of Liverpool Fans because of what they said in the wake of the Hillborough disaster. They are a filthy, horrible mess of a paper and should be boycotted by everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm hesistant to ask, but what did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by MarkR
    I'm hesistant to ask, but what did they say?
    A few days after the Hillsborough thingie, Kelvin McKenzie, editor of the Sun, ran "THE TRUTH" as front page headline. Under the big (hey, it /was/ the Sun) headline there were three smaller headlines that read along the lines of "fans picked pockets of victims", "fans urinated on cops" and "fans beat up constable giving kiss of life"

The story accompanying the front page listed events like a dead girl being abused, Liverpool fans urinating on dead bodies and police and rescue workers being attacked.

Lord Justice Taylor headed the official enquiry into the tragedy and found overcrowding and failure of police control to be the real causes (the Hillsborough disaster was the catalyst for all-seater stadiums and a number of other safeety measures). As part of the report he stated that the Sun's entire story had been made up. These days there are still plenty of newsagents in Liverpool who won't stock the Sun.

The Sun was a scummy paper long before Hillsborough. It just confirmed it for lots of people.

edit: scummy Sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Koyaanisqatsi

And recall the Sun's headline the day after Mountbatten was blown up in 1979.
    "Bloody Irish" in dirty big black letters.
    When it comes to generating Pounds Sterling, The Sun have no quams about selling their wares to the "Bloody Irish".;)

Advertisement