Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord the Witches are shoite.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't think there's any one series that's inferior to the rest overall - I've found that each series has its own dodgy books, although I don't see how any further Watch or Rincewind books could be anything other than crap. Hat Full Of Sky was an interesting new perspective on the witches that worked very well, as far as I'm concerned, but I have the sneaky feeling that the future of Discworld (however much of a one it has left) is in "independent" books a la The Truth, Monstruous Regiment or Going Postal, since Pterry seems to be more into using the DW as a vehicle for his satire/social commentary these days (just compare Monstruous Regiment [which I found interesting first time round, but unreadable for any subsequent attempts] or Going Postal [just finished reading it first time round, we'll see if it stands the test of time] to older "independent" books like Pyramids or Small Gods. Maybe it's just me but the focus seems to have shifted from "story with commentary/satirical aspects" to "commentary and satire with occasional bits of story and just about enough setting to justify calling it a DW novel").

Since I'm too lazy to go and look at L-Space, anyone care to tell me what the next book is and who's in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

omg that's an old thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Umm yes they are my least favourite characters. HATED Monstrous Regiment I think we have hit the wall the rest of the DW books will be like all new WoT books and new Simpson episodes:(, it's terrible but it had to happen sometime inspiration runs out on everyone.

Ladies and gentleman, I give you, Going postal.

But yes, Monstrous regiment was poor in comparison to most of the other DW books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ladies and gentleman, I give you, Going postal.
    Umm yes.... it was good but not as good as his best books ( from Men At Arms to The Last Continent ) You see a perfect Pratchett book has a brilliant story and very quirky funny dialog. He had the story but it was a bit dark for the humour to stand out, a good book but not one of the best.

Hogfather:

"Did you check the list?"
    YES. TWICE. ARE YOU SURE THAT'S ENOUGH?
    "Definitely."
    COULDN'T REALLY MAKE HEAD OR TAIL OF IT, TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH. HOW CAN I TELL IF HE'S BEEN NAUGHTY OR NICE, FOR EXAMPLE?

"They always gives me bath salts," complained Nobby. "And bath soap and bubble bath and herbal bath lumps and tons of bath stuff and I can't think why, 'cos it's not as if I hardly ever has a bath. You'd think they'd take the hint, wouldn't you?"

In short, Death came out of the stove. Exactly how would be difficult to describe without folding the page.

Last Continent:

Rincewind had always been happy to think of himself as a racist. The One Hundred Metres, the Mile, the Marathon -- he'd run them all.

Ridcully flailed at a passing shark. "They won't attack you if you make a lot of noise and splash around," he said.
    "I thought that's when they will attack you, sir," Ponder called out.
    "Ah, an interesting practical experiment," said the Dean, craining to watch.

I love that kind of writing but Going Postal was, like Nightwatch, darker and more serious then a normal Discworld book. I enjoy the story but I prefer it when it's lighter and weirder :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I thought that the witches were pretty good, i like that they have there own personallites that seem to clash against each other, or rather mainly Nanny ogg's and Granny Weatherwax's.
    I didn't like Twoflower in the first to books, he just seemed to be a bit to stupit if you ask me. Although i still did like the first 2 books. I didn't like Pyramids (i'm probably going to be hung by the balls for that!) i just couldn't get with the characters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Aye offler the style has changed slightly and the books have become darker but i still think saying DW is going the way of the simpsons is a bit much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Aye offler the style has changed slightly and the books have become darker but i still think saying DW is going the way of the simpsons is a bit much!
    Maybe I am panicking a bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭A.S.H.

To through my €0.02 in I found with books 16 - 24 (very roughly guessing) a lot of it was funny but the story would slump and I would maybe even put it down and go to sleep as it was late and I had to be up. However it seems he has gotten his 2nd (3rd,4th maybe even 5th) wind and Going Postal was really well done, I found a little hard to get into to start with but by page 50 was hooked and didn't want to stop. I find the witche's series to be quite like that where often the middle part is quite sloggish or there's a couple of the subplots that are not as interesting. Hat full of sky was a good take on the witches and it's nice to see Granny through Tiffany's eyes. He has certainly grown from writeing jokes with a story to hang onto to writing involving satirical stories with some very witty jokes to lighten it up. I really liked Night Watch and loved how he took Vimes away from being uberpowerfull with so much backup to call on and showing him making it on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Tranzz

My favorite is "Mort" maybe because thats the first one I read but I've read all his books now and I don't think theres any I disliked

Oh yeah and "Wee Free Men" was classsssssssss

Advertisement