Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.5" HDD enclosure

• 24-01-2004 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

hey guys!

i'm buying a 250GB hard drive to backup my *cough*work

i was looking for a hard drive enclosure to use it externally with USB2.0

i came along this
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=3818

looks good! but 2 minuses, No cooling! Only works with DC cable(can't work only on USB)

do you guys know anything better maybe?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm pretty sure you need the external power supply for any external 3.5 enclosure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

what about cooling? do you think it very dangerous to leave the hdd without cooling? in a case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Yes you will need a PSU. USB can power 2.5 notebook size ext drives but no more.

Have you seen the lacie porsche external drives, they are competitively priced versus an enclosure + disk combination, particularly that one.

Cooling shouldn't be a problem. None of the external drives I have seens contain fans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Like the others have said. All 3.5 drives need an exernal power source, or PSU. Sometimes these are external to the enclosure and you need a power brick with the enclosure. But some times the psu is internal to the enclosure and you just plug it directly into the wall.

Best value is to buy a hard drive and enclosure seperately. Most of the enclosures I see actually have fans. If the external drive is going to get a lot of use and be left on a lot, then getting an enclosure with a fan wouldnt be a bad idea.

Maplins do a couple of these enclosures. An alumnium one, which is about 115 which seems (I could be wrong) to have a fan and an internal PSU and looks quite nice. They also do a silver plastic one that has no fan and an external PSU . That was €89 but is on sale from tomorrow (Sun 25) at €69. Which is cheaper than that UK one and you can just walk in and buy it. NO waiting around for delivery. THough I have heard good things about Kustom PC's in the past.

With modern drives being so hot, and my dislike of external PSU's I'd probably get the Aluminium one. But I'm tempted by the price of the other one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bought one of these from the US on ebay, but I could never get the dam thing to work. I'm pretty sure it wasa problem with the power difference, I didn;t exactly try very hard to fix it. If you want to have a lot I'll let you have it for €30, it cost me €70...

• Advertisement
Advertisement