Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prewarping IIR Filters

Options
  • 24-01-2004 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to prewarp the critical frequencies for an IIR filter but I found two conflicting formulae for prewarping. They are:

ωd = 2*tan^1(ωa*T/2)

and

ωd = (2/T)*tan(ωa*T/2)

Which one is correct?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sounds like this should be on the Trek forum..

Are you sure about the ^ exponential - is there a chance the tow formulae are different versions of the same thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I've no idea an IIR filter is, or what wd or wa are.. but just looking at the equations. I get the impression d and a are somehow interchangeable. If you rearrange the first equation to get wa on its own it kinda looks like your second equation, without the other T. Is that a coincidence? Perhaps as captain midnight says... maybe forms of the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

My signal processing theory is a bit rusty, but I'll take a shot at this.

I believe the two formulas you provide describe the relationship between analog and digital frequency when using the bilinear transformation between the s-plane and the z-plane. It looks like there might be a couple of typos in your second equation (it should be the inverse of the first)

W = 2/T . tan(w/2)

and

w = 2. tan^-1((W.T)/2)

where W = analog frequency and w = digital frequency. (You used wa and wd instead of this notation I think?)

What this means is that if you want an IIR filter with a critical digital frequency of wi you need to design an analog filter with a critical analog frequency

Wi = 2/T . tan(wi/2)

That's the prewarping operation.

I guess you can prewarp in either direction, i.e. if you want to build a digital filter with a defined set of analog critical frequencies, you use the reverse operation to work out the digital critical frequencies you need to design to. I don't know if this gets done very often though... I've usually seen prewarping applied in the design of analog filters to satisfy digital specs.

I hope this helps - and I could well have mucked this up, so if anyone spots a mistake please feel free to correct it.

Advertisement