Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iQon Reccomend IOL

Options
  • 24-01-2004 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

I have a Phillips Mulitmedia PC from iQuon and they reccomend using IOL connection.

Is this a case of the two companies working hand in hand to promote each other or are there specific configurations installed in these computers which work best on IOL?

I am currently using Eircomnet Anytime and having ongoing connection issues and trouble with the modem "hanging" when I try to disconnect as well as the connection dropping frequently

It has an Aopen modem installed, and all the drives are up to date.Having tried everything to resolve this issue, including line tests etc-could IOL be the answer

iQuon will not offer tech support to anyone who does not use IOL

Has anyone else came across this issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

First point, i've heard really bad reports about those AOpen modems.
    Seems a lot of people are having problems with them.
    Unfortunately, i can't remember off the top of my head what the problems were.
    If i can find out, i'll post back.

Second point, how can they tell you they only support connections with IOL?
    That has to be complete bullshìt from consumer rights point of view. I mean if you're having problems with a pc they've supplied you with and it's still under warranty, they have a responsibility to support it. It shouldn't matter what isp you're with. I'd get onto them again and ask to speak to a supervisor or someone in a position of authority.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Thanks Killian ,
    From the iQuon manual Because some ISP companies do not yet support the latest V92 modem technology available, our Warranty Team can only provide support to customers who use the specific ISP software bundled with this PC.

You have confirmed my fears about the Aopen modems,someone recommended I buy an external modem, but the issue is the pc is only 3 months old and under warranty. Some friends have the exact same package as me but with a different modem installed and all works well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Threaten them with a visit to the small claims court.
    I'm sure someone can confirm, but i think it used to cost £5 so it's probably under the €10 mark to have your case heard. But i don't think it'd come down to that.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Been speaking to iQuon and the reason they reccomend IOL is because Eircom do not support V92 technology and therefore the modems installed on their pcs may encounter difficulties on the Eircom network

They were very helpful, and also unoffically recommend UTVip, said it preformed very well in tests they ran.

So I think a change is in sight once my current billing period with Eircom ends......

Advertisement