Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway accent...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Originally posted by Anima
    Yeah alot of moshers use the word "tome".

Retarded word if you ask me.

Wtf are u on about? Tome is a knacker slang word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah i know but all of the moshers in my school and their friends in other schools use it also.

Pure bish boy like. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 drusilla

Originally posted by phobos
    As a Galwegian myself, I can declare without any doubt that a strong Galway city accent exists.
    Any of you who went to St. Enda's seconday school in Salthill, just remember the teachers Mary Boyce & Brian Fahy, as they have well defined Galway city accents.

The accent I'm talking about, definately doesn't travel very far. I'd go as far as saying that the only place where the "real" Galway accent exists is in the places I've named above. After that it gets quite neutral.

;-phobos-)

Pah! don't believe this guy for a second, he has a posh salthill accent!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

And he frequents Halo!

The bloody posh artist :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by drusilla
    Pah! don't believe this guy for a second, he has a posh salthill accent!:D
    :p Pffft.....shup neighbour ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭diarmy

As a native of Kerry, (which has the WORST accent in Ireland, next to maybe Antrim) I've lived in Galway for almost 3 years. I was at home last summer and approached at work by a man and his wife who felt they needed to tell me I had a Galway accent. Much debate (and theorising late into the night - if ya know what I mean ;-) ) has been had about the Galway accent, and yes there is definately one. It's very flat... words sound the same, but different. It's a slight thing. Not as bad as the "d'ya know what I mean bye" that eminates from cork mouths every minute, or the "och sure I know aye" from Donegal accents, but rather a delicate balance of words in motion. Yes it's at a higher pitch maybe, but it is flatter. Galway accents are only really found (as someone said above) in the suburbs (Tirellan being the odd exception, where a rather 'Ballymun' style accent meets a culchie accent and gets lost, is found).

Tuam's accent is completely different. Kinda like a Wexford accent but with less humor. The city's accent is flat though.

Guess you'll have to come and see (or hear) it for yourself. But you'll soon forget it, because it's our little secret!!!!

diarmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bluehairedfreak

As someone who lives near Tuam (Belclare) I can clear up a lot of this.

First of all, there are many Galway accents. The same way there are different Cork,Dublin,Donegal accents.

Tuam alone has a few different ones.
    There's the real sham accent (Tuam sham, not knack sham).- Talk with your mouth half closed, pronounce boys as bys (not like Cork though, its fast, if said properly it's more like baz).

Tuam has it's own slang. I have discovered over time that it is an accumulation of different slang words from around the country. It was brought to Tuam by the travellors when they were selling poitín, so that the RIC wouldn't know what they were up to.

"Any jils or biore who uses that cant is lakes"

There's the buffer accent with the extra h and all that.
    My favourite is my own locate area's accent (which I don't actually have).
    It's a slow accent, with a bit of a drone.
    There are many expressions that are not unique to here but the combination of them together and the frequency with which they are used is unique to here.
    "Tom was making out" means "Tom was saying" (not feeking)
    A haggard is a rough field.
    A closh is a puddle.
    The one that always wrecks my head:
    "I seen ya"
    "Howyanow"(All one word)
    Words are pronounced differently:
    Folly - follow
    Bastid - Bastard
    Smella Cont - Smelly ****
    Dine diz aze - dying diseased

The last three are usually used together
    "Ya dirta rotin dine dis aze bastid, ya smella cont"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

Originally posted by Anima
    Yeah alot of moshers use the word "tome".

Retarded word if you ask me.

Its not 'tome' its tone!! At least get it right if your going to insult it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I have noticed a Galway accent. It sounds quite like the "traditional Irish" accent you hear Irish people on tv speaking. I think a well-spoken Galway accent is quite sexy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Its not 'tome' its tone!!

and where did you get that idea out of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by jabberwock
    and where did you get that idea out of?

Yep, it's tome.

is there many here from Galway and more importantly from the ghettos of Tuam???? :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well done Fungtank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭daveathome_16

there is a galway accent........

dunno how to describe it tho

living in galway for last year in college(from kilkenny) and ya would notice it

mostly just words they use tho
    like i heard loads men (and a few women) calling women "beurs"

never heard that before i came to galway..........

They say beure everywhere in the west. Its gammel ain't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

To update: I have an idea of what a Galway accent is now as there was a bunch of Galway old-timers doing maintenance work in my apartment block a few weeks back. Plus, there was some film about James Joyce (the one with Ewan McGregor) on RTÉ a few days ago and the woman who played Nora Barnacle seemed to have a pretty good Galway accent.

Originally posted by Fungtank
    Its not 'tome' its tone!! At least get it right if your going to insult it.

What the ****ing hell are you on about? Its tome u thick. Are you even from Galway? Why would knackers go around talking about tones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by simu
    To update: I have an idea of what a Galway accent is now as there was a bunch of Galway old-timers doing maintenance work in my apartment block a few weeks back.

Its a dying accent owing to the growth of Galway in the past 30 years .

Relatively few people under 40 have it and feck all people under 20 from what I can make out.

I still think that its the funniest town accent in Ireland , unlike Limerick say.

M

Originally posted by Muck
    Its a dying accent owing to the growth of Galway in the past 30 years .

Relatively few people under 40 have it and feck all people under 20 from what I can make out.

I still think that its the funniest town accent in Ireland , unlike Limerick say.

M

It sure as hell ain't dying out amongst the knacker youth of Galway though. But it is true that the more upper/middle classes have well lost it by this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well been from galway i've been told i have a "galway accent" though i generally regard it as been quite neutral.

One good example of "old accent" is inability to prn. words that begin with vio correctly
    eg. violet -> voilet ultraviolet -> ultravoilet
    violence -> voilence

anyone who had Franky as a science teacher in the bish would recognise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Moycullen is becomming more and more built-p.
    Full of feckin townies now.

Aye, Thanks to us :D
    Originally posted by SyxPak
    That said, Oughterard is full of blow-ins/blow-backs.
    Indeed, Oughterard has it's own subdivided accents. There's the "Mucksavages" accent from Glan - Which is really just the accent an entire familly (McGaulys) have- which is very low and thick. The "Old Man's" which is of the older generations, usually slow and monotone, frequently including the "h" sound, i.e. West > Wesht. And finally "The neutrals", mainly the newer generations like meshelf. :)

I too have come across a lot of seemingly Galway words
    Scobe = Pig = Cop
    Beyor = Girl
    Duff = Carlsberg... presumably from "Duff Sunday"
    Sammich = Sandwich
    Hang = Ham
    On the Sprut = Sucking the blood from used tampons - Jez thing :/

And a few others that the naughty word filter wont like :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

On the subject of accents- I've lived in Galway all my life, and have never noticed an accent. ("Accents?", I would say as a child, "they're for people from Dublin, Cork, the North...")

As for the slang, who can decipher the following (straight out of the East Side's Heart of Darkness)?:

"Stall on, ya [dyin' disease] mosher's bagel, while I mace this tome chat for my pure feak of a byore. An' keep suss fer the shop fien' an' the shades[pigs]."

Ppl are right to associate Tuam slang with Galway - a lot of the above words moved from Tuam with Traveller families to Galway city.

Also interesting to note are the inter-suburban pronunciation variations. Those in Ballybane prefer to say "ya mosher's bagel", while in Ballinfoyle, the mots preferés are "moshery bagel". Furthermore, in Ballinfoyle, the 'a' in "bagel" tends to be a little longer, i.e. "ba-a-agel".

"Stall on, ya [dyin' disease] mosher's bagel, while I mace this tome chat for my pure feak of a byore. An' keep suss fer the shop fien' an' the shades[pigs]."

hang on ya knacker while i rob the thing for my ride of a girlfriend. And keep quiet to the shop staff and cops.

otswa ada orysta amsha? erewha ouya ormfa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

theres is for sure a galway accent.... i'm from dublin but dont hav an accent
    or do i, i dont know... i have a few friends with fairly odd accents.... but galway has a good one now longford omg!!! cant understand a word of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GaillimhChick

hey guys! i'm from tuam myself, and i have to say i don't notice a galway accent! i think we sound very neutral as has been mentioned here before. it definitely isn't as pronounced or noticeable as for wxample donegal or cork! but as with everywhere i think the further into the county you go, the accent does become a little more broad or whatever the right term is!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tjsniper

Galway city accent:

feek-to feek is to kinda feel someone up or a sexy girl/boy
    shift-kiss with your tongue
    bior(byore)-girl
    feen(feend)-boy
    bhoys-boy plural
    mace-to rob stuf off people by threatening them or robbing something small from a shop
    fit(comes from england)-a sexy lad/girl(mainly lads)
    sound-friendly person
    legend-a cool person that is well known
    deadly-brilliant
    fag-an insult or cigarette
    ill break your jaw bone-translation:i will punch you in the side of the head if you dont do something
    frigit-a person who hasnt kissed a girl/boy with their tongue
    craic-fun eg. any craic?
    good on ya-good for you
    cotters-a well known shop
    cappagh-a part of knocknacarra
    west side-a well known travelers area
    salthill-a well known place
    clybaun- the area around the clybaun hotel

tuam:

feek-to kiss with your tongue or sexy boy/girl
    feen-boy
    bior-girl
    shift-to kiss with your tongue

Use mainly the same as galway accent apart from these major changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

"Feen" isn't said in Tuam at all.

It would be 'his gills' or 'that sham'.

I think the Tuam lingo can be summed up by the Saw Doctors song 'All the way from Tuam' when they're singing about going up to Renmore to play soccer with the city lads. The city lads are calling them smokies but,

'Sham, his gills with the KD's a gomey'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Being from Galway, I never noticed that heavy an accent except maybe the "h" after "s."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

yeer not doing too bad on http://www.slang.ie but ye're nowhere near Cork, mayo, Kilkenny or Waterford

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement