Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive

Options
  • 24-01-2004 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Pretty much everyone knows how to drive and it can be scary when you're left behind. What's the best way of learning? Most of my friends learned by driving tractors or stock cars around the fields when they were younger. But I haven't got such facilaties available to me.

I know all the basics. Stopping, starting, etc. I just have difficulty putting it into practice.

Starting is my greatest difficulty, I can't control the machine at all, and can't get the right balance, either I haven't got enough accelorator in it, and the engine cuts out, or I have too much accelorator in it, and the car bursts off at alarming pace. I don't know how people creep around in traffic like snails. Once when I treid practising on my brothers car I totally knackered the engine, because it was stopping and starting so much, I could smell something burning and that's no lie.

Another thing, usually when I stop I forget to put down the clutch and the engine cuts out.

Also changing gears while moving is a nightmare, just totally beyond me all together.

How did ye all learn to drive, Im dying to know.

How did ye guys master these basics, I'm just dying to know.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Personally speaking I was born with a talent for driving! :D
    Chances are that your brothers car was fecked anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    You should get yourself some tuition!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Practice practice practice!!!

That may seem obvious but it's the only way really. Book yourself 10 lessons with a good instructor and I guarantee you will be able to drive to a reasonable standard afterwards. Also when your practicing try driving the car very slowly (in a carpark or quiet housing estate) just using the clutch. This will enable you to get a feel for the "biting point" as it's referred to. Once you've got a feel for this in the particular vehicle that you are driving all you will need to worry about is the accelerator pedal. Changing gears once you're moving is actually quite simple once you've mastered lifting the clutch up at a very slow pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Get some lessons from a decent instructor in a dual control car and you'll be grand. Driving is like riding a bike. Might seem impossible at first but after a bit of practice it becomes second nature. You'll get the hang of the clutch gears, brakes and throttle and it will just become something that you will do without even thinking.

People who are used to driving manual cars often find it very strange the first time they drive an automatic. It just feels "wrong". Their instinct is to change gear as the car speeds up/slows down. They might find their clutch foot pressing an imaginary clutch pedal when they would normally be changing gear. This just shows how instinctive driving becomes after a while.

However, I know one or two people who have never mastered the "art" of driving despite much practice. Funny enough these people are extremely intelligent and talented yet they can't master a seemingly simple thing like driving a car. Weird. I think it's rare to come across people like this though.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Im a brilliant driver.After 3 lessons. I was perfect at it. No bull****. Practice practice practice i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by BrianD3
    However, I know one or two people who have never mastered the "art" of driving despite much practice. Funny enough these people are extremely intelligent and talented yet they can't master a seemingly simple thing like driving a car. Weird. I think it's rare to come across people like this though.

BrianD3

kinda like me :(

not bad. just haven't had loads of car time. parents wont let me [anymore...one too many burnouts when taking off]

took 3 driving lessons. went grand.
    got a €3000 quote for insurance [name driver on parents] didn't go back :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I wouldn't worry too much about problems pulling off. It always takes a little while to get the hang of doing it smoothly. Shortly after starting driving I switched from a Fiesta to a 406 and it took about a week to get used to the extra acceleration required to pull away in the much heavier car. The important thing to remember is that at that speed you control the car with the clutch NOT the accelerator. Until you're moving smoothly in 1st you don't change acceleration. Just set it at a comfortable weight and then use your clutch foot only to pull away. You'll feel the biting point of the clutch and in no time you'll be away smoothly.

As for driving technique make sure you get a decent instructor for a course of lessons. Get someone to recommend someone they've used and book lessons with them. A course of lessone might sound like a lot of cash but it's _really_ important to learn the basics properly early on. The last thing you want to do is to have to iron out major problems like coasting, improper use of gears when slowing down and poor coordination on turns. A good driving instructor is great for reminding you to do things properly and nit-pick your faults every time.

After that get some decent practice and then get a few more lessons before the test to polish out flaws and learn the route (some test centres discourage instructors from driving the route during working hours). Remember to book the test early because of the waiting lists - I had to defer due to exams and it took over a year from application to sit the test. The best thing you can do between now and then is get in plenty of road time - it makes you comfortable doing the ordinary things and alows you to concentrate on the important little things the day of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I think the best way in learning how to take off smoothly is first, put foot on clutch, put car in first gear, accelerate until you hear the engine's note get higher, keep your foot in the same position on the accelerator and then slowly let go of the clutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

I'm just a natural at everything I try, so sorry I can't give you any advice.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

One thing that I don't think has been said is to listen to the engine. You will hear if the revs are right or not.

Advertisement