Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(REQUEST) Does anyone know any good Hong Kong websites that have international shippi

• 25-01-2004 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

I was wondering was there any quick cure to the cd wow surcharges?

I want to get an ipod, but your'e getting so ripped off over here. Iv'e looked all around the web but have come up with nothing.

Any links for cheap foreign websites that do electronics/games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

I am disturbed by your sig...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone got an address in HK - for forwarding stuff.

Buy in HK deliver to HK and then post from HK - bit messy to save part of the €3 per CD though..

Hang on - is the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands covered by the European CD thingy ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

Are you sure you pay the surcharge if you buy from the HongKong site ?
    Ollie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

To quote an email i got from cdwow today:
    NB – This surcharge applies to all of the CD WOW! websites and URLs where the delivery addresses are either the UK or Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

The hk site tends to be generally cheaper but the surcharge thing really really sucks. Espec since you dont notice until afterwards really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Hang on - is the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands covered by the European CD thingy ??
    What pisses me off about the surcharge is that it only applies to UK and Ireland not the rest of Europe.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

try cdjungle, not quite as cheap but pretty good prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

i remember when this IRMA action was first launched, someone posted in one of the threads with a link to another HK based CD supplier that shiped to Ireland, I cant seem to find the link though, any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

http://www.layoyo.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/DVDshelf/prod_home_cd.d2w/report?LANGUAGE=1

There is one that was in my bookmarks. Sorry if they dont ship. Havent time to check right now. I'll check for the other site. I know the one your talking about so soon as I find the link I'll post it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

jesus, their prices seem good, but i had soemthing of a headache trying to work out the shipping:

Shipping Charge Calculation:

Shipping Charge for all products is measured in a LAYOYO Standard measurement - Delivery Unit(DU). Total Shipping Charge for one order (send to one distination) is based on the total Delivery Units of the products in that order.

Ireland: Zone D:
    Delivery units Air mail cost (HK$)
    0 - 2 $46
    2 - 5 $70
    5 - 10 $130

i assume nobody'd order more than that at once :P

i think 1 CD or DVD is one "DU"

all the same, i'll hang onto the bookmark, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

what i really want is an ipod from hk delivered to Ireland.

:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

I am disturbed by your sig...

me too. There are some scary people here...

nothing to be scard of, the pic is a still from the music vid windowlicker ...no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

You have to watch out for Customs & Excise tariffs if you're getting anything substantial from outside the EU. CDs/DVDs work because their monetary value is relatively small, so Customs & Excise is waived/ignored. If you're buying something like an iPod, you will be charged, either by the retailer, or more likely, by the deliverer, whoever that may be.

I'm speaking from experience here. I had an item worth approx €200 delivered from HK by UPS. The transaction on the website included a delivery charge, the item arrived - and a few months later, an invoice followed from UPS, looking for another €80 or so. I complained to the retailer, and they said it was nothing to do with them. UPS had to pay the charge to bring the item into the EU, so they were passing it on to me - as you would. This particular retailer has since added a message warning about the possibility of charges, but that didn't help me.

You could try getting it delivered by ordinary mail, if the retailer agrees - the volume of items means that not every item is checked, AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Success-HK

Have a ordered a few things of em, not a great selection but prices are pretty good on the stuff they do stock. Shipping is slow enough but cheap. I've had no problems anyway, any quiries were quickly sorted.

Also take a look at YesAsia (free shipping on orders over €40 + they pay VAT ) :) and Lik-Sang (don't think its HK, but it be good)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

hmm i ordered a dvd and cd from cdwow hong kong at christmas and did not get charged shipping, is this a new thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

no certainly not, none of the cdwow sites charge for shipping worldwide, thats the great thing about them.

....and i really think Amazon should follow suit, at least for media & books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Definitely, that's what really puts me off shopping at amazon. their P&P charges are excessive. If they reduced it to £1 per item or so, that would be much better. After all amazon.co.uk use royal mail to send to Ireland., which can hardly cost that much!

Advertisement