Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus Help

Options
  • 25-01-2004 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

I have had two emails in the past two days one from a friend of mine and another from a site I have never even heard of saying that I or my computer sent tha an infected email. My friend simply stated tha I had sent him an i-worm and the site sent me this message. Quote:

Recipient of the infected attachment: S-FSERVER, Hosted Mail\Hosted Mailboxes, Derm Stapleton/Inbox Subject of the message: Hi One or more attachments were deleted

Attachment utkv.exe was Deleted for the following reasons:

Virus W32.Beagle.A@mm was found.

Now I find this strange because I run antivirus software (Fully Updated) which also scans incomming and outgoing emails I also downloaded Symantec's removal tool for W32.Beagle.A@mm and the tool spent over an hour scanning my computer before saying that no virus was found. My antivirus software also says my system is clean. So what the hell is going on? Anybody?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i had the same thing about a weeks ago i just deleted it, i thinks there trying to confuse people i wouldnt worry as long as virus software is fully working :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

You're quite safe - the virus is faking the "from" field of the email address. The emails those people received most likely did not come from your machine, but your email address was plucked from a website (or someones address book) and spoofed. Ignore and delete!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ditto to what ronanp said.

some virii have the ability to make a fake address out of what it finds on an infected computers address book.

chances are you were in the address book of someone who has the virus and it has used your email address as a fake return address. it doesn't mean you have the virus, just that someone you know does. :rolleyes: such is the way of these things unfortunately.

anyway, you can tell the people who sent you the emails that the virus didn't come from you, and that you've run the tool to make sure, and your virus defs are up to date.

Advertisement