Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new player?

• 25-01-2004 6:24am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was discussing BB with a friend the other day, and he claimed that a new company is coming into the mix (Im not sure if he meant BB or phone)

Does anyone know of any potentially large company coming into Ireland, for either BB or phone?? or both? I know the likes of Alpha are moving in, but they only focus on international like most new and small companies.
    It would be interesting to see a new big player to tackle Eircom, Esat and UTV (whom I would consider the biggest players in the phone/BB market), however this new company would have to be willing to offer some noticably low prices to make any impact and not fall on their faces

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Someone big enough to take a big go at eircom is not gonna happen really. Eircom own the lines. Can you really see some company coming in and laying their own lines? If they dont they still have to go thru eircom. Therefor their not really gonna get that far.
    Esat have been here and doing their own exchanges and they've got a few but not many. How long have they been here? Any serious attempt on the market here is not exactly possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i agree with ryaner... any new companies to the dsl market really aren't going to cause much of a stir... eircom own the lines so they dictate pretty much everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

and to think the humble taxpayer paid for those lines, and now we don't own them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

my cousin who works for vartec/eurexcel says they will be releasing a bb product this year i think

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    my cousin who works for vartec/eurexcel says they will be releasing a bb product this year i think

Anymore info on what they'll be offering?

• Advertisement

i'll ask but doubt its anything concrete

ok will be tested in uk in about a months time, possible july release if its ok, no more info though i'm afraid

Yeah well anything is better than nothin. Try find how they will be offering it. Are they simply gonna be reselling the eircom product or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

There's also this.

Thanks for that tomk, I remember reading that and I completely missed the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Originally posted by flogen
    .. (Im not sure if he meant BB or phone)

Flogen

I heard that a UK mobile network company is going to start function here soon. As a consumer, I welcome compitition of any kind in any industry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by 124124
    I heard that a UK mobile network company is going to start function here soon. As a consumer, I welcome compitition of any kind in any industry!

Correct. This one Here actually.

They will also allow €ircon to re-enter the Mobile Industry later this year as a Virtual Network Operator or MVNO . The phones will work as 2G in most of teh country, roaming on the O2 network. They will only do the funky 3G stuff in the 5-7 larger cities and along the Primary Roads between them.

Data speeds will be 128k or so which is hardly BB .

M

Advertisement