Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novell and home network

Options
  • 25-01-2004 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

I've got Novell client software on my laptop, which I use on a Novell network at work. I am planning to seyup a wireless network at home (DSL ethernet modem and wireless router), which I guess will be a windows network.

Is it possible to use 2 different types of network on the same computer?

Is there a better way of doing it?

Thanks,

Ro

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Ro-76
    Is it possible to use 2 different types of network on the same computer?
    Yes. I've worked in offices where there were a mixture of Novell and Windows servers, and all the client PCs could talk to both of them.

Does the Novell setup use IP or IPX? If IPX, you could probably configure IPX to only talk to your ethernet adapter (assuming you're using a wired connection at work) and IP to only talk to the wireless card. I'm not running Windows here, but someone else should be able to explain how - it depends on your version of Windows.

In short - it's possible, but more information will be needed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two parts to it - the network protocol and the network client.

If the notebook already uses TCP/IP with DHCP then the network protocol is OK. If you use ftp for file sharing then you don't need to worry about network client.

If it's a work notebook - check that it is ok to connect it to a home network - they may be using IPX as "security through obscurity" - also they may not be too keen on a WiFi network ....

What firewall software are you using ???

Yes you can add clients - if your version of windows supports it - eg: Windows XP Home does not support Windows server environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Thanks for the info.

I'm using Windows XP Home, unfortunately.

The Novell network client properties are IP, not IPX.

It does use TCP/IP, acording to Local Area Connection Properties, in network connections in Control Panel. Not suer re DHCP. How would I check this?

I do't know what firewall I'm using at work, and I have not set up my home network yet.

Thanks again.

Ro

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are using IP - well windows uses that too.

So now you have to make sure all PC's on the home net use tcp/ip and are configured to use the same range of addresses - usually the wireless router will hand out DHCP addresses - check the address used in by the card. - if it is clicked as automatic or 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.y then happy days.

The firewall is for your home network/pc !
    others could connect into your Wireless or come in via DSL.

If you want internet connetcion via the DSL you shouldn't need to setup windows logon or file sharing - and if you only have one computer then absolutely no reason..

Advertisement