Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 Car - NCT?

Options
  • 25-01-2004 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking at getting a 1999 Golf Gti. I looked at the car yesterday, looked neat etc, but the car has no NCT disk. The dealership reckons that its possible that the previous owner might have got the letter for the car to goto NCT, but its not in their possesion.

Now - I am not sure (being non Irish) exactly how the laws work.

I have done a fair bit of reading and this is how I understand things.

The car is basically now at its due date for NCT - or even slightly past that. I dont mine taking it, a smallish cost but the time is always an issue. Should the dealership sort this out?

If I drive the car down to Cork next week, and get stopped - what do I say why the car has no NCT, would the just bought excuse suffice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

A 99 car should have had its NCT last year. I would insist that the garage sorts it out before you buy the car. The car was due for its NCT 4 years to the month from its registration date and then it is due its next NCT two years on. So if you get a NCT now you will also have to get one in 2005. You will not be able to tax the car without a NCT cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Thanks for the reply.

If I decide to do the NCT myself - what is the waiting period like to get it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Chaz
    If I decide to do the NCT myself - what is the waiting period like to get it done?

Ring them up and explain your situation and the urgency. There's a good chance they will fit you in within a few days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do you trust the garage or can you walk away from the car ?

Can they gurarantee that they will fix any defect found by the NCT (note: NCT does not test certain things.) ????

eg: The car could run perfectly and still fail on emissions test.

No idea what the story is with small claims court - it may not be worth your while chasing a garage over a small amount - something a lot of garages count on !!

Ring up the tax office - AFAIK you can get tax without NCT.

Also check with the insurance company - they will almost certainly want an NCT (or at least a booking date) and AFAIK you will need the insurance cert to get Tax.

Funny thing, just saw a 1999 GTi that I wanted to look at. Saw the car, checked all the normal things one would when buying.

Asked the dude - "Wheres the NCT" and he is like - "The car hasnt got one, and never been asked to go". He then proceeded to tell me that he had heard a rumour that some cars (like the GTi) were not high priority to get tested due to the quality of the car. Sounds a bit rough, but thats the 2nd 99 GTi that has a 'no NCT' status.

• Advertisement

Oh, and the garage is a VW dealer - plus a SIMI member/something. Ive read a bit about SIMI, seems to show some value.

If it was just a one man band operation - i would be weary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think the most important to remember is THE 99 GOLF GTi IS A PIECE OF **** :D

It looks horrible and it's not fast, which is pretty much the only reasons for buying a GTi. There's really so many better cars you could get.

I'd check if it was asked to go for an NCT or not. If they didn't send out a form telling the previous owner to make a booking, I'd say you don't need it. They're so backed up in the NCT they might not have got around to the 99 cars yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Funny thing, just saw a 1999 GTi that I wanted to look at. Saw the car, checked all the normal things one would when buying.

Asked the dude - "Wheres the NCT" and he is like - "The car hasnt got one, and never been asked to go". He then proceeded to tell me that he had heard a rumour that some cars (like the GTi) were not high priority to get tested due to the quality of the car. Sounds a bit rough, but thats the 2nd 99 GTi that has a 'no NCT' status.

That is total BS, by law all cars of that age have to have an NCT, if he is making up stuff to excuse the lack of one it rings alarm bells. Walk away very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Pretty off topic, but can you take the NCT test early? (4 months early)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Untill I saw this I thought maybe the dealer's right, but this is total bull. Do you think it's likely that there's somone in the NCT who goes though all the cars dividing them up into low and high priority?

Walk away from the car, and the dealer, he's a spoofer at best.

BTW Ando, yes you can NCT early, but I'm not sure by how much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement