Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

replacement bulb

Options
  • 25-01-2004 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help me, I'm ridiculously clueless when it comes to any type of car repairs...

One side light bulb on my car (01 VW Polo) has gone and I'm assuming its just a blown bulb, if this is the case, could anyone give a few pointers re changing it?
    I've had a look and there's a small plastic case covering the lights but I can't see where the bulb should go and am hesitant to start pulling at wires as I really know nothing about this. I'm going to head down to a car accessory shop now and see if I can get a replacement bulb.
    I don't mind going to a garage but I would like to get this sorted out asap and due to work commitments probably won't get to a garage much before next weekend, I'm also slow to go in case my obvious ignorance of this encourages to charge me way to much for such a small job. Rougly how much should this end up costing?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not familair wityh the Polo but as a rule there is a cover
    held in place with a clip or two which has to be removed and the connector for the bulb is then turned through 90 degrees and withdrawn the bulb can then be removed and replaced.

Buy a Haynes manual! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Twist the cap off. Often the bulbs are held in place by metal clips. Pull the clips back and to the side. Go to wherever you are going to get a replacement bulb and they will probably change it for you if they're not busy. Watch what they do and you'll know for the next time.

While you're there, see if you can get a Haynes manual for your car. They're not always very well written and could often have better pictures, but you can learn how to do lots of small maintenance work like this from them.

Edit: Mike posted faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

I think that may be a good investment....

thanks a million for the help:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Any car I've ever owned had instructions in the owners handbook on how to change bulbs, fuses etc.. Check your owners handbook (if you have one) and it'll save you having to get a Haynes manual which is overkill for such a simple task, and useless for anything more complicated! Haynes manuals are generally sh1te IME.

BrianD3

While you have a fair point there Brian, I have to say that I learnt to master a few simple tasks and managed to finish off a couple of more complicated ones by making frequent reference to this manual:

4086sml.jpg

Yes, it's real! See here: http://www.haynes.co.uk/sexmanual.asp

• Advertisement

4086sml.jpg

OMG! What next...?

Mike

Originally posted by mike65
    OMG! What next...?
    Possibly this:
    4059.jpg

I'd buy this-

M2149.jpg

Mike.

Brilliant! Here's another great book which would be an excellent choice for any man who fears he may be becoming a metrosexual:

HowToMowTheLawn.jpg

It is genuinely informative and funny and serious all at the same time. There are so many quotable quotes it's very hard to pick out one, but for the lowest common denominator guffaw, I have selected this one from the "Growing Vegetables" topic in the "Growing Things" section:

"This might seem a bit domestic at first, but it is a good idea. No woman can ignore a man who slams his courgette on the kitchen table and tells her it's home-grown."

Buy it on amazon here!

Advertisement