Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTSC Question

Options
  • 25-01-2004 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Ok here goes, i have a VCR that can play NTSC tapes. However i want to be able to tape stuff (some Takeshis Castle :) ) and bring it over to America to show a few ppl. Would it be possible to get a blank NTSC tape and record it from here or does that work? any ideas thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Not 100% on this but I think in the same way your VCR can playback NTSC then the US VCR's would probably be able to play PAL.

There is no such thing as an NTSC blank tape and while most European VCRs can playback NTSC tapes - very few (if any) can record NTSC. I'm not saying none of them because sure as eggs someone will prove me wrong.

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I'd have thought no American VCRs play PAL.
    It seems only we get both supported where as in Japan and the States it's all pure NTSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There is no difference in the tapes apart from length because the speeds are slightly different.
    The European vcrs that play NTSC tapes cannot record NTSC. To do what you want you need a special standard converting vcr such as this A bit expensive as you can see.

Makaveli is right, US standard vcrs are not able to play PAL video in the same way as ours play NTSC so taking the tapes with you would do no good. Even if you had a vcr that would play PAL the US tv set would not work with it.

Another method of bringing video over would be to get the tapes converted, there are several companies who offer this service here, some may not copy copyrighted material though. The quality of converted video is not good especally with poor source material (vhs).

The least expensive way, and also the method likely to prodce the best results would be to record the material onto your (or someone elses) PC and burn it to a cd-r as an mpeg or divx file, if you want to make them playable on a dvd player make a vcd/svcd out of them remembering to use the NTSC setting. Or obviously if you have a dvd burner make a dvd, again making sure you use NTSC settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

If your vcr has an actual switch to change between PAL and NTSC then leave it in NTSC mode and record. Some of the older ones do have a switch. If it's automatic and it prob is, check the settings for setting it to record in NTSC. The faq at back of manual is the best idea.
    Makaveli is mainly right. Most vcr's in the states just play NTSC. They stubborn over the whole thing. Same way with DVD's. Most are either region1 (ie US) or region2,3,4,5,6(everywhere else)

I'd have thought no American VCRs play PAL.
    It seems only we get both supported where as in Japan and the States it's all pure NTSC.

There isn't a huge difference between NTSC and PAL so including the facility to playback PAL videos on NTSC machines is no more difficult than PAL playing NTSC.

This link shows american vcr's all capable of playing back PAL tapes.

Not true, check the link above !

Tinky

• Advertisement

Learn something new everyday. One thing to note tho
    To play PAL tapes you will also need a Video Converter or a Multi-System TV. You may read more about this topic on our FAQs page.

In short, this means that their vcr's need to a Video Converter to take the 25Fps that PAL uses and spit out 29Fps that NTSC uses. This can be skipped provided the tv supports it. If not the tv shows lots of flickers and if your unlucky it could damage the tv.

In short, this means that their vcr's need to a Video Converter to take the 25Fps that PAL uses and spit out 29Fps that NTSC uses. This can be skipped provided the tv supports it. If not the tv shows lots of flickers and if your unlucky it could damage the tv.

Kind of ! Modern TV sets use flywheel sync which will easily accept the 25Hz of PAL signals. Sets that dont directly support PAL will display a B/W picture. The flicker will be no worse than what we see on a PAL TV set. The converter will be required to record PAL on an NTSC vcr. A TV that supports NTSC 4.43 may give a wierd phsycodelic colour effect - not sure about this though.

Tinky

Actually alot of modern digital tvs wont play netin other than their own frame rate. The vcrs can in alot of cases convert the output pretty easly but I've noticed with the NTSC videos I used to play that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt with the vcrs.
    The video converter is the best way. That or just do a dvd into NTSC format.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by tinky
    There isn't a huge difference between NTSC and PAL so including the facility to playback PAL videos on NTSC machines is no more difficult than PAL playing NTSC.

This link shows american vcr's all capable of playing back PAL tapes.

Not true, check the link above !

Tinky

Yes, you CAN get a multi-standard vcr in America but they are not standard. Nobody would have one unless they specifically went looking to buy one, unlike in Europe the mass market vcrs do not come with the ability to play other formats. Same goes for the tvs, even if they will change to the correct frame rate most sets will not decode the PAL colour signal.

Advertisement