Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The New Volkswagen Golf

Options
  • 25-01-2004 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

001__scaled_600.jpg

011.jpg

I love this car. Any bad reports on it? I have heard NOTHING but good...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Personally I think the mk5's look horrrible, far too curvy and too similiar to a Focus... I drive a mk4 and I think they're the best looking Golf by a long way.... I even prefer the look of the 3rd series compared with the latest offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Seen one today and i agree with Giles, i think they're horrible. Mk4 is defo the best looking Golf !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh have to agree there horrible lookin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Actually now I come to think of it, the new Golf just looks like a slightly beefier version of the existing Polo! Honda went down similar road with the Civic, turning it from a great looking hot-hatch with a nice low profile to an ugly family car imo... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

well im dumping the existing golf mark 4 for this kind...i love them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeesh thats bloody awful... looks like one of those Seat things / a much cheaper car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Thumbs down from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

look disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i think its alright, i saw one there on friday after an exam in college. The first thing that i thought was that it looks like a mix between a focus and a civic.

VW are trying to hard to be like other cars now, possibly because alot of cars that were based on the golf done better. So i think they are trying to fit in

i wonder can i get my cars wheels to spin and have speed lines when i take a pic with noone in the car... flashy eh?

• Advertisement

There extremely solid cars though and hold their value excellently. Every review ive read praises it. I think they are slick.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

They are nice alright.. but the ones in the pics there are top of the range with all
    the extras..

If ya get the basic model, which most will be driving, then it wont look half as flash
    and a lot less appealing..

Still tho, I have to say then interior has improved vastly in the last model from the
    previous one. So this one should be nicer again (anyone got any pics of the interior?)

So Ill say I do like them, but dunno if Id buy one for the sort of money they are
    looking for...

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

it's just a curvier take on the old one.. thumbs down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by red_ice
    i wonder can i get my cars wheels to spin and have speed lines when i take a pic with noone in the car... flashy eh?
    It's LHD.

As for the car. I think it's terrible. Looks awful and as was said earlier the MK4 is a much more destinctive car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In terms of styling I'd rank the new Golf ahead of the Mk3 but behind the Mk4. The Mk4 still looks good to my eyes even six or so years after launch.

Big problem with the Mk5 is that the 75 bhp 1.4 engine has been carried over from the Mk4 . The Mk4 1.4 was already pathetically slow, the Mk5 is probably worse due to extra weight. At a guess I'd say the the new Golf 1.4 will struggle to break 100 mph flat out and 15 seconds 0-60.

These days its normal to expect at least 90-100 bhp from a 1.4 engine so VW are well behind the times.

BrianD3

actually, i think its trying to be like a civic...

instead it looks like a constipated tellytubby

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

These days its normal to expect at least 90-100 bhp from a 1.4 engine so VW are well behind the times.

Actually i think the 1.4litre engines in the Corolla, Civic and Focus all have only 75bhp, I know the Focus does anyway, could be wrong about the other too but nearly certain they dont have 90 - 100 bhp.

even the new mazda 3 only has 80bhp with its 1.4l engine, i dont think VW are behind the times at all, they could do with making the Golf lighter i know its notorious for being too heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Draffodx: Here are the power figures. These are the correct figures give or take 1 or so bhp as I'm not sure whether the figures for each car are PS or bhp.

Ford Focus 1.4 75 bhp
    VW Golf 1.4 75 bhp
    Peugeot 307 1.4 75 bhp
    Renault Megane 1.4 98 bhp
    Toyota Corolla 1.4 97 bhp
    Opel Astra 1.4 90 bhp
    Honda Civic 1.4 90 bhp
    Rover 45 1.4 103 bhp

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

You forgot to mention the Alfa 1.4, I'm pretty sure it knocks out about 103hp, I can't stand seeing a rover topping you're list there and I thought I'd mention that the 1.4 you mentioned there isn't the bog standard one, so it'll cost ya for the 102hp one. The bog standard car has 83hp.
    I'm sure the VW marketing dept. have something up their sleeve for when the new golf novelty wears off. There is a 100hp 1.4 Lupo, I'm sure they'll put that engine in the golf at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

According to the VW website, there are two 1.4 engines, a 75PS and a 90PS one.
    The only other petrol engine specified is a 115PS 1.6 litre.
    The mk3 and mk4 never excited me particularly, and neither does the new model, but I prefer its looks over the previous two models. It is definitely growing on me.

I don't think the current Alfa 147 has an option of a 1.4, but the 146 had a 103BHP 1.4 litre engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I likw the new golf mainly because i like golfs and this one just looks nice i reckon it will grow on people eventually just my opinion
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Here's a nice one from the people at Abt and supercars.net
    golf5.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2003@$Abt@$Golf%20VS4g.html

It might be a bit loud for some of you folk to be driving but hopefully it might change your minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Yeah, it looks great. Very symmetrical at the back too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Nice pic Fabritzo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I bought a brand new 1.4 Golf back in `01. I have to say she was lovely. Never had a problem with it. Nice and nippy. Traqded her in last year for a `00 Audi A4 Tdi. However I might go back to a new golf next year but it'll be a diesal this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

You are all talking about the 1.4 Golf.

However I reckon most people will buy the 1.9 tdi which can come, with up to 140 bhp.

The fact the car is over weight will not matter with the torque of a diesel engine.

Plus great economy.

>ColinM

You are right the Alfa 147 does not come with a 1.4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Every new Golf makes the previous one look much better
    I would'nt be seen in any but this one.

vw_golf_gti_manual.jpg

Half the fat twice the fun!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

Volkswagen Ireland expect to sell 6000 mark V golfs during 2004. The breakdown is as follows

1.4 57%
    1.6 7%
    1.9 tdi 28%
    2.0 tdi 3%
    others (gti etc) 5%

1.4 will be the biggest seller here simply because of the tax and insurance situation. It's 75BHP is useless in a car this size but people will want the perceived prestige of driving a new golf.

In the UK the 1.6FSI is expected to take about 30% of sales, with diesel versions another 40%. 1.4 won't be a big seller over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

saw one today off Baggot Street - think its a Hertz rental. Anyhoo not impressed at all - same feeling I had when I saw the new shape Civic. Cars are getting more and more generic these days !

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    Here's a nice one from the people at Abt and supercars.net
    golf5.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2003@$Abt@$Golf%20VS4g.html

It might be a bit loud for some of you folk to be driving but hopefully it might change your minds.

That is how you ruin a golf...thats what the heads would do to a car. :dunno: :ninja:

Advertisement