Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second Provisional?

Options
  • 25-01-2004 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Just a quick question,

If you on your 2nd provisional can you drive with passengers in your car, or do you have to be by yourself. Im talking about passengers without a licence.

Thanks,
    Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You can drive without a qualified driver on a second provisional. You can carry passengers on in a car on any licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

think this is due to change in the next year or so, a second provisional will be subject to the same rules as a first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I wasn't sure about the whole second provisional needing a licensed driver so I rang the Department of Transport. They said the seconds were fine for now but the Minister's stated intention is to change that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by draffodx
    think this is due to change in the next year or so, a second provisional will be subject to the same rules as a first
    about feckin time!
    [not that driving on the first prevents you from driving on your own, despite what they say!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattg

Thanks a lot guys for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

They need to sort out the testing situation, i cant believe people are waiting for a year for a test,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭beatsie

Is it true that you cant drive on your own when you have a third provisional???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

It is illegal to drive unaccompanied on a 3rd or subsequent provisional. However this law is never enforced, and even if you have an accident it will not be brought up.

However this is almost certain to become enforced in the future. Judging by the sheer number of people waiting for a driving test, there must be a quite large body of people who've bought cars with provisional licences.

This of course, will be an enormous money spinner to the exchequer, as on the spot fines will probably be introduced, and probably penalty points. As L plate holders have higher insurance premiums, they actually contribute more in VAT to the state than full licence holders and this also generates bigger profits for insurers as they can load provisional holders heavily.

Considering that a provisional licence is only a two year licence, it is highly unfair that in 18 test centres there is a 50 week or greater waiting list for a test. The current average is 42 weeks (10 months) so the chances are that the law will be changed before many drivers get a chance to sit a test.

Can you imagine if the Leaving Cert had a sporadic waiting list such as this? Imagine when you paid your LC fee you had no idea when the test was going to be? What effect do you think this would have on pass rates? I am not surprised that the failure rate is quite high - it seems highly difficult to me to prepare for a test that can be anything between 4 and 10 months in the future.

I would advise anybody who doesn't have a full license who is thinking of buying a car to wait until they have a test passed as they could find themselves being suddenly criminalised if they are caught driving without one in 6 or 12 months time.

Thanks for that shoegirl

my second provisional expires in november so i better apply for the test right now :)

This of course, will be an enormous money spinner to the exchequer, as on the spot fines will probably be introduced, and probably penalty points. As L plate holders have higher insurance premiums, they actually contribute more in VAT to the state than full licence holders and this also generates bigger profits for insurers as they can load provisional holders heavily.

Is that why the government will not increase the number of testers ??

Surely its not that hard to reduce unemployment by creating more jobs and speeding up the process for everyone? the cost of the test would finance the new employees.

I mean the population is increasing so why not the number of testers.

Or am i missing something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

Rubbish, girl. Provisional drivers, on the whole, drive little heaps of junk, which contribute SFA, in real terms, to the exchequer. Their expense to the exchequer, in terms of clearing up after their "accidents", in the costs of the Gardai having to police their inadequate driving skills are negated by any extra VAT on their Insurance premiums. You will see that "Real Drivers", in general, drive proper cars which have contributed more to the exchequer than any puddle-hopper Fiesta or Panda or Micra etc.

In summary,
    Provisional Licenced drivers should be banned from the roads. They, in general, haven't a clue how to drive and are accidents waiting to happen.
    There should be a minimum of 6 penalty points for any L-idiot caught driving unaccompanuied.
    Driving is a privilege, not a right, and one that should be earned. Nobody should be allowed on our roads by just buying a piece of paper and a heap of dirt, car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Rodney Trotter
    Rubbish, girl. Provisional drivers, on the whole, drive little heaps of junk, which contribute SFA, in real terms, to the exchequer. Their expense to the exchequer, in terms of clearing up after their "accidents", in the costs of the Gardai having to police their inadequate driving skills are negated by any extra VAT on their Insurance premiums. You will see that "Real Drivers", in general, drive proper cars which have contributed more to the exchequer than any puddle-hopper Fiesta or Panda or Micra etc.
    Um, figures please? Or are you just talking out of your arse?

Every provisional holder I know owns a decent (small-engined) car or drives someone else's. That's not to say that none of them drive junkheaps, but certainly no more than normal. Most people who drive pieces of crap tend to be fully licenced drivers who don't give a crap about other drivers. You'll also find that a significant amount people driving unroadworthy vehicles tend to be untaxed, uninsured and like to have the odd tipple while they drive.

(oh, "The cost of Gardai having to police their inadequate skills"? - I thought Gardai were paid a salary, and not a per-arrest bounty :rolleyes: )

Every provisional holder I know owns a decent (small-engined) car or drives someone else's. That's not to say that none of them drive junkheaps, but certainly no more than normal. Most people who drive pieces of crap tend to be fully licenced drivers who don't give a crap about other drivers. You'll also find that a significant amount people driving unroadworthy vehicles tend to be untaxed, uninsured and like to have the odd tipple while they drive.

In your own words, Seamus,
    "Um, figures please? Or are you just talking out of your arse?"

BTW, if they're driving someone else's car they are not contributing much, are they?

w.r.t. Gardai, calculate the share of Garda resources wasted on L plates and you will have a figure which could otherwise have been better allocated.

The original point I was responding to claimed it was an "official" thing to keep drivers on L plates due to the extra revenue they would contribute.

In your own words, Seamus,
    "Um, figures please? Or are you just talking out of your arse?"
    Read my sig ;)
    BTW, if they're driving someone else's car they are not contributing much, are they?
    They're not taking much either.

Jesus Christ Rodney Trotter you have serious issues with provisional drivers dont you?

Can you remember what its like having a provisional ?

Or were you bestowed a full license by the powers that be because your a "REAL Driver" unlike all us imaginary drivers with provisionals

Have you no understanding that some people who are trying to get their first car can only afford small second hand cars. One reason being that you get crippled by insane premiums on larger better cars

B

I do have an issue with provo drivers, they shouldn't be allowed drive unsupervised on the roads, i.e. without a qualified instructor beside them.

When I was provo driver the situation was as thick and stupid. I shouldn't have been allowed do what I did. I'm older and wiser now and can see the stupidity of allowing such drivers on the road. It's a miracle how I got through that phase. But because I was allowed do something does not mean it's right or that I cannot condem such a practice.

I understand perfectly why Insurance premiums are the way they are. Everyone's insurance is higher than necessary because of young inexperienced drivers. Remove the risk and everyone's premium will go down.

My point about small cars was how much less these vehicles contribute to the exchequer compared to real, proper sized cars. Small cars are inherently unsafe and, for me, no thanks.

Get qualified, get experienced (preferably on some else's car) and then buy a real car.

My point about small cars was how much less these vehicles contribute to the exchequer compared to real, proper sized cars. Small cars are inherently unsafe and, for me, no thanks.

Get qualified, get experienced (preferably on some else's car) and then buy a real car.
    Yes, so when you run someone over you can do a proper job of it.

Smaller cars aren't any more dangerous. Otherwise drivers would be loaded for driving small cars. No, the bigger and more "real", as you put it, the car is, the more the insurance costs. The smaller engine and shorter wheelbase, in fact makes them inherently safer (to other road users).

Kind of ruins your theory there.

You pay more VAT on bigger cars because that's the nature of VAT, i.e. the more you pay, the more the Government makes from you. It has nothing to do with covering the cost of the vehicle to the state. That's what VRT and road tax is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

In the words of Del Boy

"Rodney You Plonker"

How can inexperienced drivers gain experience?
    by driving

Just because you have a liceance doesn't mean you are experienced!!
    e.g.
    say you've had a Pro for 4 years and have been driving for 4 years.
    Now in my books he/she would be experienced.

Much more experienced than someone who had 3 months driving and passed a test??

Also Remove the risk and everyone's premium will go down so policys that allow non-experienced drivers are cheap? I think not

Get qualified, get experienced (preferably on some else's car) and then buy a real car
    Get experienced on someone else's car? Because you are soooo much safer driving someone else's car.

without a qualified instructor beside them.
    How many prov drivers are there and how many qualified instructors are there?
    do the math.

And who gives a flying f*ck what car he/she drives?
    Just because it's small doesn't mean it's not safe

Safety depends on the driver

4 years driving on a provo licence = experience? Your definition of "experienced" is just typical of the tolerance for incompetance so prevalent in Ireland, today.

In my book this should count for nothing. Provo drivers are one of the many cancers on Irish roads and should not be allowed.

BTW Seamus, what are you on about w.r.t. VAT?

Small cars are inherently unsafe. I don't want to be in one, on Irish roads, thanks. How many people have died, in Ireland, because they have been taxed into buying a small unsafe car? Quite a few, I'd guess, and they're not for me. Small cars belong in cities.

Now to answer some more

1. Also Remove the risk and everyone's premium will go down so policys that allow non-experienced drivers are cheap? You fail to understand the principle of Insurance. Should you remove the causes of claims then the cost of claims will fall. Get rid of the L-plate drivers would reduce the cost of Insurance.

2.Get qualified, get experienced (preferably on some else's car) and then buy a real car
    Get experienced on someone else's car? "Because you are soooo much safer driving someone else's car. " No. I'd guess the owner of the car would be a little more careful about the style of driving in their vehicle, i.e. the learner would get more supervision than would be the case if they were driving their own car.

without a qualified instructor beside them.
    "ow many prov drivers are there and how many qualified instructors are there?
    do the math." My point exactly! The less learners on the road, the better. (BTW Maths has an "s" at the end, in Ireland, keep your Americanisms to yourself, thanks.)

PROVO drivers belong in Driving Schools, and nowhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Provo drivers

don't go bringing politics into this!

4 years driving on a provo licence = experience? Your definition of "experienced" is just typical of the tolerance for incompetance so prevalent in Ireland, today.
    I think his point is that someone driving for 4 years on a provisional can be more experienced, and can even be a better driver than someone who drove for three months, passed the test, and then packed it in.
    BTW Seamus, what are you on about w.r.t. VAT?
    You seem to be implying that small cars should be banned because they cost less. Give me some figures to show that small cars have a net cost the exchequer and large cars have a net profit. So the exchequer makes more money on bigger purchases? Well done. First year economics there.
    Small cars are inherently unsafe. I don't want to be in one, on Irish roads, thanks.
    Again, show me your basis for this. As I said, lower insurance and smaller engines would logically indicate to me that smaller cars are safer. How to you justify that they must be more dangerous?

1. Also Remove the risk and everyone's premium will go down so policys that allow non-experienced drivers are cheap? You fail to understand the principle of Insurance. Should you remove the causes of claims then the cost of claims will fall. Get rid of the L-plate drivers would reduce the cost of Insurance.
    Agreed. Once there are more controls on provisional drivers, claims, and therefore costs should reduce (but not as dramatically as you may think - Drink-Driving and dangerous driving are the cause of most accidents, and are just as likely, if not more so, in qualified drivers as provisional drivers).
    No. I'd guess the owner of the car would be a little more careful about the style of driving in their vehicle, i.e. the learner would get more supervision than would be the case if they were driving their own car.
    Agreed, but someone else instructing you in your car, is still not going to want to crash. Chances are they're going to be a little less neurotic about you scratching the car, and so are going to be far less jumpy, which can only be a good thing. From accompanying a few people in my own car in the past, I can tell you, it's a much more stressful experience for both driver and you when they're in your car.

The problem is two-fold. Provisional drivers should not be on their own on the roads, without some form of testing. But there are even plenty of qualified drivers out there who are worse than the provisional driver they're accompanying, giving bad advice, and generally being of no use in the spirit of what the law intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by shoegirl
    As L plate holders have higher insurance premiums, they actually contribute more in VAT to the state than full licence holders and this also generates bigger profits for insurers as they can load provisional holders heavily.
    Not sure where you are coming from here, but there is no VAT on insurance (there is no VAT on and financial services). The only "tax" is the 2% insurance levy.

I think his point is that someone driving for 4 years on a provisional can be more experienced, and can even be a better driver than someone who drove for three months, passed the test, and then packed it in.
    bingo

You seem to be implying that small cars should be banned because they cost less. Give me some figures to show that small cars have a net cost the exchequer and large cars have a net profit. So the exchequer makes more money on bigger purchases? Well done. First year economics there.

Again, show me your basis for this. As I said, lower insurance and smaller engines would logically indicate to me that smaller cars are safer. How to you justify that they must be more dangerous?

Nail, hit, the & head.

The word Math is a perfectly valid word. You fucking dip shit

4 years but un-certified, still should not be allowed on the road.

The small car contribution to the exchequer is less than a larger car, that's all I'm saying. No need to ban puddle-hoppers!

Insurance premiums are calculated on the basis of the driver and the car, not just the car.

And we're not in the USA so Math is not an acceptable term here. MATHS is the word!

says who? You??

Who the fuck are you to say what is an acceptable term here?

Why don't you do me a favor and go back to kindergarden where you belong.

The small car contribution to the exchequer is less than a larger car, that's all I'm saying. No need to ban puddle-hoppers!
    Smaller cars also cause disproportionately less damage to roads.

Insurance premiums are calculated on the basis of the driver and the car, not just the car.
    Yes....but the same driver will still be charged a higher premium on a large car than on a small car.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

You do forget one thing - a lot of so-called "qualified" drivers never sat a test in their lives. So they are not qualified. However it is statistically proven than the more experience you have the more safe you become - this has nothing to do with licence type.

However, the risk of truly dangerous driving is higher in uncertified drivers, so yes, theoretically the average L plate holder should be more dangerous. However, Ireland has a legacy of notorious driving, zero-testing and tolerance for drink driving, so there is almost the same risk amongst "qualified" drivers. I believe one of the triggers for the notorious licence amnesty in 1979 was a study which found that the accident rates were more or less the same.

As to the arguement that bigger cars are safer - rubbish! Smaller cars are safer before they do not drive as fast. Speed contributes to risk so by virtue of this smaller cars are safer. And besides most L plates I see are on quite new cars.

In fairness to the arguement over experience. I drove for 4 years on a provisional, then emigrated and sold the car. I came back, did a test, passed it and have a full licence. I havent driven for a about a year.
    Let's say I buy a car tomorrow - am I more or less safe than a provisional holder who has driven continuously for the last 2 years? I'd say they are probably safer than I would be!

Having said that I think removing unaccompanied provisional holders from the roads would improve driving standards not least because of the message it would send out about obeying the law on the road. But there would still be lots of idiots on the road. And insurance would actually soar because of the loss in profit to insurance companies . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Originally posted by hussey
    Why don't you do me a favor and go back to kindergarden where you belong.

If you want to haul yer man up on his [incidentally correct] interpretation of "Maths" we'll also take it you meant "kindergarten"...
    Originally posted by shoegirl
    As to the arguement that bigger cars are safer - rubbish! Smaller cars are safer before they do not drive as fast. Speed contributes to risk so by virtue of this smaller cars are safer.

Are you for real? Smaller cars don't drive as fast? Sure half the certified loons in the country are stuck driving 1.0 and 1.1 cars around the place and yes, they drive way too fast.

Statistically you are far safer in a big heavy solid car with safety aids than a pokey tin box like a Fiesta, Micra, Seicento etc...far, far, far safer...

Shure look at all the muppets who cannot even put an L plate on properly. If someone cannot tell which way around an "L" should be, imagine how they're supposed to control a motorised vehicle.

BTW THE bigger the car you're in, the safer you'll be. Give me a choice of travelling in a big Volvo or a Micra, and there's no choice.

As for passing a test without having driven for a year? Fair play to you!

• Advertisement

BTW THE bigger the car you're in, the safer you'll be.
    Not necessarily, large "cars" (4x4, MPV, etc.) are no safer than other cars in the same price bracket. There is also the compensation factor of when someone thinks they are in a safe car, they will engage in more risky behavior.

Larger cars are much more dangerous to other road users.

Advertisement