Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sour grapes

• 25-01-2004 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

larry david's 'sour grapes' movie is on net. 2 this monday night - 26jan04 @ 11ish.
    i've never seen it - heard it's not much good - i'll watch it though.

also, alot of curb season 4 promotion going on lately.
    cheryl was on leno a few weeks back, richard lewis was on conan last week as was
    susie essman.
    lewis is in a league of his own - totally off the wall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Never seen it, heard its not great too but will give it a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

amazingly i never saw it either-
    I do remeber looking in a few video shops in dublin for it.

I reckon the local Champagne Video here would prolly have it so I must check- but I dont think there is a dvd and I dont have a video player here though :(

Well I saw it, it was quite funny in parts I thought. Summary:

2 cousins and their girlfriends go to Atlantic City for the weekend. When one of the cousins Ritchie wins a jackpot in a slot machine, the other Evan feels miffed as it was his quarters and he feels he is entitled to half of it. I won't give any more away in case people see it but there's a few twists and Mayhem ensues.

There are elements of George and even Kramer in Ritchies character. Bookman plays his boss. LD makes 2 appearances, different roles in both. There are lines in the movie which are similar to lines which you'd find on the show, there are a good few observational asides too.

One of my fave lines:

Ritchie: "It doesn't bother me as seeing you naked was my one goal"

Now I see where the holding elevator etiquette came from in CYE. It came from the movie.

I am intrigued now, will defintley have to check for the DVD/Vid.

LD is the comedic version of Alfred Hithcock...appearing in all his movies/shows.

Elevator Etiquette is v. important in the mindset of anyone who has lived in NY ! Thats cos u have to use them all the time. Sometimes you can go for months w/o having to use them in Dublin.

Whats your stars out of 5, Ciaran?

I'll give it a 3.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭seveb

ya i watched it the other night. wished i had taped it now.
    it was totally like an extended hybrid episode of curb and seinfeld.
    i thought it was excellent.
    if i saw it a couple of years back, before the days of curb, i can honestly say that i wouldn't have thought it was too good. that's why critics didn't like it when it came out.
    compare it to your very first impressions of curb and that's what it would have been like. you definetely need to be a fan of curb more so than seinfeld to really appreciate this movie.

I loved the way LD took the piss out of Friends. The story was v clever and he added a touch of irony at the end.

Typical CYE/Sein line

Joan: I don't like this dealer, you see the way he's ignoring us its because we're women.

I think your right Seve.

I took a bit of coaxing to get into Curb- a few episodes prolly- thats why SG was likely not a critics favourite when it was released.

Interesting though, but I reckon future movie projects are unlikely- I think both Jerry and LD are on record as not being too hot on doing movies. Comedian is a documentary so not the covential big studio comedy.

Also the rest of the cast are so intrinsically linked with the show that too often they are typecast...Kramer in Trial & Error and Geroge in Shallow Hal for example- even to a certain degree Elaine in London Suite.

I enjoyed Shallow Hall and Trial and Error, London Suite wasn't so hot though.

Originally posted by smuckers
    I enjoyed Shallow Hall and Trial and Error, London Suite wasn't so hot though.

So did I- just difficult to them from separate their Sein Characters at times :)

• Advertisement

True, the of character Mauricio in SH was similar to George but much more immature. :)

Advertisement