Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Broadband Usage calculator?

• 25-01-2004 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I know of the IOLBB calculator obviously but during the past few days have lost count of the volume of data I've both up/downloaded.The fact that IOL's calculator doesn't reset relating to the start of a new USER's month doesn't help either.

So,could somebody please recommend a similar customisable piece of software which I could use?

It would be a help if it was idiot proof too.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

DU Meter.

www.dumeter.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

But Dumeter is useless if you have a home network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

please explain that statement.

DUMeter has a handy option to select which network adapter you want monitored, so all you have to do is select your INTERNET one. And bingo, your're done.

Unless of course you have one network card in each of your computers, and then use a router, then you're screwed no matter what program you use. Unless of course your router monitors usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Netlimiter will allow you to monitor either local or internet usage, I have found it to work quite well, I suppose that data sent to the gateway will be classed as internet and data to other machines in the local subnet would be local ... it will also allow you cap bandwidth that a particular application uses (so stopping your connection from being saturated) ...
    it also gives totals for each day of the month, and it will show hour by hour usage on the current date...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Unless of course you have one network card in each of your computers, and then use a router, then you're screwed no matter what program you use

Thats what I meant :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Have a look at MRTG. If you willing to spend the time to set it up then it will cover any kind of setup you have.

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Ryaner
    Have a look at MRTG. If you willing to spend the time to set it up then it will cover any kind of setup you have.

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

The canines gonads of the bandwidth monitoring world, but a pain in the ass to implement

Yeah I know it is but I'm hoping to get it setup here once I've gotten my network finished and gotten my BB in. Eircom giving me the run around so prob be a long time.
    It just takes time to put it together. BMExtreme 2.0 pro will do multi pc setups. It has to be paid for.
    Heres the link
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2947.html

MRTG will only really be effective if your router has an snmp daemon running on it, otherwise its really too messy. Afair i havent seen any cheap broadband routers with snmp support.

• Advertisement

Ok correct if I'm wrong here but the linksys routers such as the WRT54G have snmp and they are cheap. The linksys one there is around 100euro atm.
    That just the stats I get from the page tho and I've have no time to exactly look into what exactly snmp is? Quick explaination please?

For MRTG to collect stats (without a fair bit of fiddling) it needs to have an snmp server on anything its collecting stats for. MRTG querys the snmp server at set times, every 5 minutes by default, and retrieves info on how much traffic has passed over each interface. It then makes purrdy graphs out of said info.

The routers such as the linksys one I posted above support snmp. I dunno it'll work completely but hey. I'll find out soon as my hardware is setup.

Easy of use I suggest BMExtreme pro. It looks quite simple and covers just about all the features

Advertisement